Polish Colonization of Galicia

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2005
      Miscellaneous Articles

      1.

      Polish colonization of Kresy was part of Pilsudski’s Jagiellonian
      plan....

      http://www.polishroots.org/gendobry/PDF/GenDobry_V_12.pdf

      **********

      2.

      However, the National-Democrats continued to send Polish families to
      inhabit Ukrainian lands....

      http://dscholarship.lib.fsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1103&context=undergrad

      *********

      3.

      Emigration and Returning

      Wychodzcy, Emigrants or Poles? Fear and Hopes About Emigration in
      Poland, 1870-1939

      http://www.utvandrersenteret.no/doc/Adam%20Walaszek.PDF

      ***********

      4.

      At the beginning of the 20th century, Polish colonization was
      extensively developed. Colonists were transferred from western Galicia
      to the east onto lands that were purely Rusyn. In 1902 alone, several
      hundred Polish peasants were moved from Myslenitse District to Stryj
      District. The primary objective of the Polish landlords in this
      colonization was to set the Polish peasant against the Rusyn peasant, to
      foster hostility between them and to strengthen their own village
      mastery.

      http://www.lemko.org/history/lemkyn/25.html

      **********

      5.

      http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mdemkowicz1/dobra/hrusz_eng.htm

      ********

      6.

      http://spartan.ac.brocku.ca/~lward/Thomas/Thomas_1913.html

      *******

      Lavrentiy
    • Jan Prygoda
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        I have printed this. It was very interesting to read this article.

        Jan

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2005
          A very interesting article. I will point out though that the Kresy of the inter-war period were relatively new as borderlands. All of Poland was a corderland of the pre-1918 Empires that had partitioned her. But, prior to 1772 the borderlands of the Commonwealth were far further to the west and north and the areas of the inter-war Kresy were very much a part of the Crown since the 14th century or of Lithuania and not as borderlands but as part of the core of the nation. The lands in which Ogniem i Mieczem is set does include some areas in the current Kresy but the lands primarily owned by Wisniowiecki for example were far to the east.

          I would also caution the use of the word 'colonization' - preferring resettlement. I won't discount the political and ethnic considerations you mention but the issue was also one of land available for agriculture and dealing with large numbers of landless agricultural workers including large numbers of veterans. There were as it appears a range of social problems to be addressed.

          Framing the issues within an ethnic framework is of course fitting for the time and the contemporary emphasis on ethnocentric identities and equations of nation and state. These are though largely ideas that emerged during the late eighteenth century in the west and in the nineteenth century here and reached their zenith in the first half odf the twentieth century and fit less well to contemporary realities. They supplanted a longer period of European history in which nationality in the ethnic sense meant very little and nations were defined by the idea of sovereignties, and by class - so that Poland was the territory ruled by the Polish king and was quite understandably a multi-ethnic state. It remains to be seen how these notions evolve as Europe evolves further. Certainly the concept of ethnicity and ethnic-based nationalities/citizenships has been greatly challenged by modern migration patterns and by the evolution of our understanding of states.

          Kind regards, George Lucki