Re: Links for Khrystynopol/Chervonohrad/Krystonopol????

  • seraph1818
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2005
      (typed as printed)

      Krystynopol (Yid. Krasnipali) Lwow dist., Poland, today Ukraine.
      Jews settled soon after the town was founded in 1692, establishing
      themselves as a preponderant majority of the pop. (78% in 1880 when
      they numbered 2,747) as well as controlling trade, particularly in
      grain. Belz Hasidism dominated the community, suppressing all
      efforts at modernization until after WWI, when the Zionists came to
      the fore. In WWI, Cossack violence, mass expulsions, and the
      continuing economic decline marked by the cessation of the grain
      trade caused the J. pop. to drop to 2,086. Most Jews crossed the
      Bug River with the Soviet forces in 1939 to remain in Soviet-
      controlled Sokal and Witkow Nowy under the Soviet regime. In summer
      1940 many were exiled to ditatnt parts of the USSR.

      Source: "The Encyclpedia of Jewish Life Before and During the
      Holocaust" - Editor in Chief - Shmuel Spector (Volume 2) - 2001

      --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "iamaparent2001"
      <iamaparent2001@y...> wrote:

      > Yeah I would assume it is. Lwow is the other side of my family. But
      > send me what you got. Thanx!
      >
      > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "seraph1818"
      > <seraph@d...> wrote:
      > > I have found 1 summary that "may" be for your town. They would
      be
      > > located in "The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During
      the
      > > Holocaust". It is a 3 volume series.
      > >
      > > So, could this be your town?...Krystynopol (Yiddish - Kranipali)
      Lwow
      > > District, Poland, today ....if so, let me know.
      > >

      > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "iamaparent2001"
      > > <iamaparent2001@y...> wrote:
      > > > A few weeks ago I posted this:

      Ukraine/message/5685

      > > > Thanks to everyone for your help. I have really put pieces of
      the
      > > > puzzle together thanks to this group! I was wondering, can
      anybody
      > > > send me links (in English!) to
      Khrystynopol/Chervonohrad/Krystonopol?
      > > > Something that describes the city, and any links about its
      Jeiwsh
      > > > history? Would be greatly appreciated!
    • seraph1818
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2005
        Oops! I left out a letter in "encyclopedia". :-)

        <seraph@d...> wrote:
        > (typed as printed)
        >
        > Krystynopol (Yid. Krasnipali) Lwow dist., Poland, today Ukraine.
        > Jews settled soon after the town was founded in 1692, establishing
        > themselves as a preponderant majority of the pop. (78% in 1880
        when
        > they numbered 2,747) as well as controlling trade, particularly in
        > grain. Belz Hasidism dominated the community, suppressing all
        > efforts at modernization until after WWI, when the Zionists came
        > the fore. In WWI, Cossack violence, mass expulsions, and the
        > continuing economic decline marked by the cessation of the grain
        > trade caused the J. pop. to drop to 2,086. Most Jews crossed the
        > Bug River with the Soviet forces in 1939 to remain in Soviet-
        > controlled Sokal and Witkow Nowy under the Soviet regime. In
        summer
        > 1940 many were exiled to ditatnt parts of the USSR.
        >
        > Source: "The Encyclpedia of Jewish Life Before and During the
        > Holocaust" - Editor in Chief - Shmuel Spector (Volume 2) - 2001
        >

        > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "iamaparent2001"
        > <iamaparent2001@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yeah I would assume it is. Lwow is the other side of my family.
        But
        > > send me what you got. Thanx!
        > >
        > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "seraph1818"
        > > <seraph@d...> wrote:
        > > > I have found 1 summary that "may" be for your town. They
        would
        > be
        > > > located in "The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During
        > the
        > > > Holocaust". It is a 3 volume series.
        > > >
        > > > So, could this be your town?...Krystynopol (Yiddish -
        Kranipali)
        > Lwow
        > > > District, Poland, today ....if so, let me know.
        > > >

        > > > --- In Galicia_Poland-
        Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "iamaparent2001"

        > Ukraine/message/5685

        > the
        > anybody
        > Khrystynopol/Chervonohrad/Krystonopol?
        > Jeiwsh
      • iamaparent2001
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10, 2005
          Thank you very much! Your help has been invaluable!