Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Castle Garden

  • Sarah Ritts
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2005
      Hi Frederick:

      This is absolutely fabulous. Thanks for the info I am now on their e-mail notification and look forward to the site being launched.

      Sarah

      Frederick Kobylarz <fkobylarz@...> wrote:
      From TheShipsList:
      The Battery Conservancy at http://www.thebattery.org/ is preparing to launch CastleGarden.org at
      http://www.castlegarden.org/ on August 1, 2005 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the opening of the
      immigrant depot at Castle Garden on August 1, 1855.

      The electronic database project (with a database of 10 million names) is led by Dr. Ira Glazier, former Director of The Center for Migration Research at The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies and Immigration. CastleGarden.org will be a vital resource for the general public and for scholars interested in the history of immigration through the Port of New York.

      Researchers might also find Castle Garden Ships Passenger Lists 1855-1890 at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/ships/castle-garden.htm
      helpful. More names of passengers on Ships to New York for other years can be viewed at Ships Passenger Lists to New
      York at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tousa_ny.shtml

      Fred

      ---------------------------------

    • C_Jensen
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        I've been playing with this for an hour or so.

        It looks like all his info from Germans to America, Russians to America, etc. and nothing new. I couldn't find an example of the Advanced Search results to warrant paying $45.00. I think that must per report!

        Ceil
        From: Roman Bulkiewicz <roman@...>
        2. Re: Traveling to the Old Country
        From: Roman Bulkiewicz <roman@...>
        3. Old Postal Operations
        From: "amiak27" <rmat@...>
        4. Re: Traveling to the Old Country
        From: "cmw5551" <cmw5551@...>
        5. Re: Castle Garden
        From: Sarah Ritts <rittstar@...>

        Message: 1
        Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:10:26 +0300
        From: Roman Bulkiewicz <roman@...>
        Subject: Re: Re: topographic maps of Ukraine

        Hello Laurence,

        LK> I was thinking of the updated 1:200k topographic maps. They are in
        LK> Ukrainian.

        LK> Can you also obtain the 1:200k maps?

        I'll find out.

        Regards,

        Roman

        Message: 2
        Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:14:37 +0300
        From: Roman Bulkiewicz <roman@...>
        Subject: Re: Traveling to the Old Country

        Hello Carol,

        GUyc> There is also very little I have found on his town. May I ask
        GUyc> where you live...you wrote it's really not that bad over here.

        I live in Kiev, Ukraine. They probably didn't have local Ukrainin
        roads in their database.. but wouldn't admit it. What kind of info do
        you need on this town?

        Regards,
        Roman

        http://romans.net.ua

        Message: 3
        Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:55:03 -0000
        From: "amiak27" <rmat@...>
        Subject: Old Postal Operations

        This may bleed actross the borders and touch on someones interst, a
        connection from Slovak roots, a postal exhibit on Hungarian Russ and
        perhaps Galizia.

        Ron

        It is a virtual philatelistic exhibition:
        > http://www.japhila.cz/hof/0004/index0004a.htm
        >
        > And it is in English

        Message: 4
        Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:56:38 -0000
        From: "cmw5551" <cmw5551@...>

        Hello Roman,
        Thanks for the info. My Grandfather would tell stories of
        his childhood,yet I am lucky when I can find his town on a map. I see
        photos of Lviv, etc .and they are beautiful.
        My Grandfather said he lived on a farm, and his Dad was the
        town Mayor /Representative. I believe he came to the US because the
        eldest son got the property.
        I suppose I am looking to see how big a town it is, if
        there would be any photos, and what live was like in the late 1800's
        early 1900's and life today.
        Thank you and have a great day!
        Carol

        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Roman Bulkiewicz
        <roman@b...> wrote:
        > Hello Carol,
        >
        > GUyc> There is also very little I have found on his town. May I ask
        > GUyc> where you live...you wrote it's really not that bad over here.
        >
        > I live in Kiev, Ukraine. They probably didn't have local Ukrainin
        > roads in their database.. but wouldn't admit it. What kind of info do
        > you need on this town?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Roman
        >
        > http://romans.net.ua

        Message: 5

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
          Plus, Steve Morse has the Castle Gardens one step, and it's for
          free:

          http://www.stevemorse.org/

          And, if one can access Ancestry.com (for free at libraries, at LDS,
          etc.), Ancestry has the Castle Garden-era records.

          _______

          Lavrentiy Krupniak

          .

          C_Jensen wrote:

          > I've been playing with this for an hour or so.
          >
          > It looks like all his info from Germans to America, Russians to America, etc. and nothing new. I couldn't find an example of the Advanced Search results to warrant paying $45.00. I think that must per report!
          >
          > Ceil

        • Claire Felong
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 30, 2005
            Thanks so much for this sight. I finally found the ship for my grandparents
            from germany. Claire

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2016

              Castle Garden was the NY immigration station from 1855 until 1890. Immigration operations were moved to the Barge Office in 1891.  Immigration inspections were conducted by the Barge Office until 1892, when Ellis Island opened.

                  1820 - 1892 arrival records are now available on-line at the Castle Garden website:

              /Lavrentiy/