Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Re: Parish for Chornokintsi, Chortkiv raion

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 2, 2005
      Hello Bohdana,

      According to the 1910 Austrian census, Bukowina's population was
      801,364. About 68.4 percent were Orthodox (or about 548,133 persons),
      15.67 percent were Catholics (Roman Catholic and Greek Catholics), 2.56
      percent were Evangelicals, and 12.86 percent Jews.

      The number of Greek Catholics was about 26,000.

      The Orthodox were split between Romanians (273,254) and Ukrainians
      (305,100).

      Most Catholics were Germans/Austrians.

      I think my number are accurate ... I did this fast.

      Bill Watamaniuk might have some numbers.

      _______

      Lavrentiy Krupniak

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 2, 2005
        Laurence Krupnak wrote in part:

        >change cz to ch
        > sz to sh
        > szcz to shch
        > ch to kh
        > c to ts
        > w to v

        > y and i, zh and z, etc. are a little more tricky

        Roman, I made a mistake above regarding zh and z. They are not
        changed. Same with s (don't change it). Change g to h.

        I think that about all the transformations.

      • Roman
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2005
          Hi Folks,

          The FHL has a large number of microfilms (over 900) for the Greek
          Catholic Consistory of Lwow and some substantial number (over 50) for
          about 10 parishes within the city of Lwow. And, of course, the library
          card catalog only lists these items as part of Record Group 201, Series
          4A, file (Sprawa) T-nnnn. Has anyone looked at these (Lwow city only) in
          detail and produced a listing, title or index of the content of each Sprawa?

          It looks like a project had been started along these lines but only the
          first 113 Sprawy have been indexed and inserted into the FHL card
          catalog. I have seen no changes in that index for quite a long time.
          Does anyone have an update on progress?

          Thanks,

          Roman
        • Bielawa, Matthew (Registrar)
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 30, 2005
            Roman,
            You can use my website database to pull up all the Greek Catholic
            records for Lviv.

            -Go to: http://www.halgal.com/halgal.asp

            -At the bottom enter "Lviv" or "Lwow".

            -You'll find not only the Sprava and FHL Film Number, but a detailed
            description of the type of record and various churches in Lviv/Lwow.

            Matthew Bielawa
            www.halgal.com

            The FHL has a large number of microfilms (over 900) for the Greek
            Catholic Consistory of Lwow and some substantial number (over 50) for
            about 10 parishes within the city of Lwow. And, of course, the library
            card catalog only lists these items as part of Record Group 201, Series
            4A, file (Sprawa) T-nnnn. Has anyone looked at these (Lwow city only) in

            detail and produced a listing, title or index of the content of each
            Sprawa?

            It looks like a project had been started along these lines but only the
            first 113 Sprawy have been indexed and inserted into the FHL card
            catalog. I have seen no changes in that index for quite a long time.
            Does anyone have an update on progress?

            Thanks,

            Roman

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Roman
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 30, 2005
              Matthew,

              The description is just what I was looking for - and now I recall that
              you advertised this work some number of months ago. I ordered several
              films today almost at random - and it seems that my aim was not all that
              bad.

              Your list needs to find its way into the FHL card catalog.

              Thanks,

              Roman

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 30, 2005
                Hello Roman,

                Matt's website (Halgal) gives details about the content of each
                sprava:

                http://www.halgal.com/halgal.asp

                Volunteers in Canada are also preparing content descriptions and
                supposedly turning that info to LDS to be inserted into the FHL
                catalog. I have no idea of the progress..maybe Jim Onyshchuk or Sonia
                can give us an update on progress.

                Roman wrote:

                > Hi Folks,
                >
                > The FHL has a large number of microfilms (over 900) for the Greek
                > Catholic Consistory of Lwow and some substantial number (over 50) for
                > about 10 parishes within the city of Lwow. And, of course, the library
                > card catalog only lists these items as part of Record Group 201, Series
                > 4A, file (Sprawa) T-nnnn. Has anyone looked at these (Lwow city only) in
                > detail and produced a listing, title or index of the content of each Sprawa?
                >
                > It looks like a project had been started along these lines but only the
                > first 113 Sprawy have been indexed and inserted into the FHL card
                > catalog. I have seen no changes in that index for quite a long time.
                > Does anyone have an update on progress?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Roman
              • Irene Johnson
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 30, 2005
                  "Volunteers in Canada are also preparing content descriptions and supposedly
                  turning that info to LDS to be inserted into the FHL catalog."

                  I checked with my sources and was told that if Jim and/or Sonia would put
                  their efforts on-line, the FHL catalog would then put a reference to THEM
                  (that product) in their catalog. They no longer have the staff to add the
                  full product, but can add the website reference.

                  Irene Johnson (former FHL cataloger)
                • Irene Johnson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 30, 2005
                    Roman, I'm going to forward your e-mail to someone who might be able to do
                    something about it, because I agree with you!

                    Irene Johnson