Tracing Family Help Again...!

  • iamaparent2001
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
      First let me start off by saying thank you to everyone who helped me
      before learning about Galicia. In fact I went to a local Ukaranian
      Festival here in Yonkers, and found out that I am not technically
      Ukranian, that Klang is a German surname so the search continues for
      more info on that side of family. However, I was made an honorary
      Ukranian!

      I am now tracing my fathers roots starting with his father's side.
      This is what I recently wrote to the Austrian consulate in requesting
      guidance:

      "I am attempting to trace my family history back to Austria. My family
      came here to the US in 1897, and 1902. From what I was told they town
      in Austria that they came from was called, (I am taking a best guess
      on how to spell it!) KRISTNAPOLIA. However, according to Ellis Island
      records from 1902 the name of the town was "BIALYKN, with GAL written
      over the top" If you can help me in anyway, give me the location of
      the towns, if they exist, which country they are in now, etc... it
      would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!"

      If anyone can help steer me in the right direction it will be greatly
      appreciated!
    • Bohdana Badzio
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
        iamaparent2001,

        Is the ship manifest, which you are referring to, for November 16,
        1902, "La Touraine" sailing from Le Havre?

        If so, the quality is very poor. "Gal" refers to the province name and
        is, most likely, Galicia. If your ancestors came from Galicia, the
        Austrian consulate won't be able to help you.

        "KRISTNAPOLIA" might be Khrystynopol, which is now called Chervonohrad
        and is north of Lviv:

        http://tinyurl.com/8f7h5

        There are a number of places in Lviv oblast that begin with "Bil",
        assuming that the original writing under the "Gal" was the name of
        your ancestor's residence village.

        Regards,

        Bohdana Badzio

        --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "iamaparent2001"

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
          iamaparent2001 wrote:

          > First let me start off by saying thank you to everyone who helped me
          > before learning about Galicia. In fact I went to a local Ukaranian
          > Festival here in Yonkers, and found out that I am not technically
          > Ukranian, that Klang is a German surname so the search continues for
          > more info on that side of family. However, I was made an honorary
          > Ukranian!
          > I am now tracing my fathers roots starting with his father's side.

          There is a Galizien German Descendents society and they have a forum on
          Yahoo. Galizien is German name for Galicia.

          > This is what I recently wrote to the Austrian consulate in requesting
          > guidance:
          >
          > "I am attempting to trace my family history back to Austria. My family
          > came here to the US in 1897, and 1902. From what I was told they town
          > in Austria that they came from was called, (I am taking a best guess
          > on how to spell it!) KRISTNAPOLIA. However, according to Ellis Island
          > records from 1902 the name of the town was "BIALYKN, with GAL written
          > over the top" If you can help me in anyway, give me the location of
          > the towns, if they exist, which country they are in now, etc... it
          > would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!"
          >
          > If anyone can help steer me in the right direction it will be greatly
          > appreciated!

          Austrian Consulate will not help you. Your answers can be found via
          research, which Bohdana has started. Galizien German Descendants
          society is a great group...they have great information (Germans are into
          genealogy big-time...it's in their genes).

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
              WOW!! Thanx alot.Yes the family you saw on that manifest is mine! I
              will check it out and see what I find. The email I got back from the
              Austrian consulate was several contacts I can get in touch with in
              regards to researching my family history.

              --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Bohdana Badzio"
              <bbadzio@l...> wrote:
              > iamaparent2001,
              >
              > Is the ship manifest, which you are referring to, for November 16,
              > 1902, "La Touraine" sailing from Le Havre?
              >
              > If so, the quality is very poor. "Gal" refers to the province name and
              > is, most likely, Galicia. If your ancestors came from Galicia, the
              > Austrian consulate won't be able to help you.
              >
              > "KRISTNAPOLIA" might be Khrystynopol, which is now called Chervonohrad
              > and is north of Lviv:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/8f7h5
              >
              > There are a number of places in Lviv oblast that begin with "Bil",
              > assuming that the original writing under the "Gal" was the name of
              > your ancestor's residence village.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Bohdana Badzio
              >
              > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "iamaparent2001"
              > <iamaparent2001@y...> wrote:
              > > First let me start off by saying thank you to everyone who helped me
              > > before learning about Galicia. In fact I went to a local Ukaranian
              > > Festival here in Yonkers, and found out that I am not technically
              > > Ukranian, that Klang is a German surname so the search continues for
              > > more info on that side of family. However, I was made an honorary
              > > Ukranian!
              > >
              > > I am now tracing my fathers roots starting with his father's side.
              > > This is what I recently wrote to the Austrian consulate in requesting
              > > guidance:
              > >
              > > "I am attempting to trace my family history back to Austria. My family
              > > came here to the US in 1897, and 1902. From what I was told they town
              > > in Austria that they came from was called, (I am taking a best guess
              > > on how to spell it!) KRISTNAPOLIA. However, according to Ellis Island
              > > records from 1902 the name of the town was "BIALYKN, with GAL written
              > > over the top" If you can help me in anyway, give me the location of
              > > the towns, if they exist, which country they are in now, etc... it
              > > would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!"
              > >
              > > If anyone can help steer me in the right direction it will be greatly
              > > appreciated!
            • seraph1818
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                I sent you a private email before I saw this response. So, now 2 of
                us are mentioning the name Chervonograd....(see my message below and
                congrats on the finding of the manifest)

                I belong to "Gesher Galicia", which is a group of those w/ Jewish
                Roots in Galicia. For the heck of it, I decided to look in the back
                of the "Family Finder", as it has a list of alternate place
                names/spellings.

                There is a Kristinopol /Krystnopol/Krystynopol(alt. spelling)
                adjacent to Chervonograd(Place Name) and a Bialykamien/Bialy Kamien
                (alt. spelling) adjacent to Belyy Kamen.

                A search of the JewishGen Shtetlskeeker located 2 possible towns
                that would work for you...Bely Kamen/Belyy Kamen (158.3 miles SSW of
                Kiev)at coordinates (4816 2922) or Bialy Kamien/Belyy Kamen/Byaly
                Kamen(254.0 miles W of Kiev)

                When you go to the Shtetl Seeker at:
                http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/locrad.htm you can change the
                setting to a search of 30 miles and pop in towns with a start letter
                of C for Chervonograd. Searching using coordinates for both of the
                B.K. coordinates above does not show a town w/ that name w/in 30
                miles, BUT it does have versions of towns beginning w/ 'Chervon'.
                So, I am thinking that these all may be clues to what you are
                looking for.

                Debbie

                <iamaparent2001@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                requesting
                > > > guidance:
                > > >
                > > > "I am attempting to trace my family history back to Austria.
                My family
                > > > came here to the US in 1897, and 1902. From what I was told
                they town
                > > > in Austria that they came from was called, (I am taking a best
                guess
                > > > on how to spell it!) KRISTNAPOLIA. However, according to Ellis
                Island
                > > > records from 1902 the name of the town was "BIALYKN, with GAL
                written
                > > > over the top" If you can help me in anyway, give me the
                location of
                > > > the towns, if they exist, which country they are in now,
                etc... it
                > > > would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!"
                > > >
                > > > If anyone can help steer me in the right direction it will be
              • Kathy Verrelli
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                  I'm looking for a translation for Propter senectutem. This is the cause of
                  death and is written in Latin

                  It was in a death record. Can anyone tell me what this person died of?

                  Kathy

                • seraph1818
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                    Kathy,

                    propter senectutem: due to old age
                    http://www.polishroots.org/reference/translating.htm

                    Debbie

                    --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Verrelli"
                    <verrellik@t...> wrote:
                    > I'm looking for a translation for Propter senectutem. This is the
                    cause of
                    > death and is written in Latin
                    >
                    > It was in a death record. Can anyone tell me what this person died
                    of?

                    > Kathy

                  • D Moeller
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                      Kathy:
                      It means this person died of old age.

                      Darcie

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 28, 2005
                        Thanks Debbie and Darcie!
                        Kathy

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
                          Hello,

                          Polish magnate F.K. Potocki established the town which is now called
                          Chervonohrad. Potocki called the town Krystynopol.

                          In 1953, the Soviets changed the name to Chervonograd, which in
                          Ukrainian
                          language is Chervonohrad, the present official place name.

                          iamaparent2001 wrote, "However, according to Ellis Island records
                          from
                          1902 the name of the town was "BIALYKN, with GAL written over the top."
                          "Bialykn" could be one of many places. The ship manifest needs to be
                          provided to see if the place can be determined.

                          Bohdana, do you still have the URL to the manifest image?

                          seraph1818 wrote:

> [...]
                          > >

                          > > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Bohdana Badzio"
                          > > <bbadzio@l...> wrote:
                          > > > iamaparent2001,
                          > > >
                          > > > Is the ship manifest, which you are referring to, for November
                          > 16,
                          > > > 1902, "La Touraine" sailing from Le Havre?
                          > > >
                          > > > If so, the quality is very poor. "Gal" refers to the province
                          > name and
                          > > > is, most likely, Galicia. If your ancestors came from Galicia,
                          > the
                          > > > Austrian consulate won't be able to help you.
                          > > >
                          > > > "KRISTNAPOLIA" might be Khrystynopol, which is now called
                          > Chervonohrad
                          > > > and is north of Lviv:
                          > > >
                          > > > http://tinyurl.com/8f7h5
                          > > >
                          > > > There are a number of places in Lviv oblast that begin
                          > with "Bil",
                          > > > assuming that the original writing under the "Gal" was the name

                        • Bohdana Badzio
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
                            Hello Lavrentiy,

                            http://tinyurl.com/7vurl

                            If you need to search the EIDB, you can use "Reisic, Spodeck" as a
                            keyword. Arr'd Nov 16, 1902 from Le Havre.

                            Cheers,

                            Bohdana

                            --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
                              Gee thank you very much! "Reisic, Spodeck"...did I miss something?

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
                                The print is extremely light. I can't see how the extractor was
                                able to write "Bialykn with Gal written over the top." I can see Gal.,
                                but what's below that is a mystery to me.

                                The extractor had the microfilm so the image there might be better
                                (see Roman's comment). Does look like it begins with a B

                                amaparent2001, we need to see the 1892 ship manifest. Who arrived in
                                1892 and how is that person related to the 1902 arrival?

                                The ethnicity of the person arriving in 1902 is not Austrian, the
                                person's nationality is
                                Austrian. I cannot read the person's "race" (ethnicity).

                                Are you certain that you have the correct arrival records of your
                                ancestors?

                                Bohdana Badzio wrote:

                                > Hello Lavrentiy,
                                >
                                > http://tinyurl.com/7vurl
                                >
                                > If you need to search the EIDB, you can use "Reisic, Spodeck" as a
                                > keyword. Arr'd Nov 16, 1902 from Le Havre.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Bohdana
                                >
                                > --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak
                                > <Lkrupnak@e...> wrote:
                                > > Hello,
                                > >
                                > > Polish magnate F.K. Potocki established the town which is now called
                                > > Chervonohrad. Potocki called the town Krystynopol.
                                > >
                                > > In 1953, the Soviets changed the name to Chervonograd, which in
                                > > Ukrainian
                                > > language is Chervonohrad, the present official place name.
                                > >
                                > > iamaparent2001 wrote, "However, according to Ellis Island records
                                > > from
                                > > 1902 the name of the town was "BIALYKN, with GAL written over the
                                > top."
                                > > "Bialykn" could be one of many places. The ship manifest needs to be
                                > > provided to see if the place can be determined.
                                > >
                                > > Bohdana, do you still have the URL to the manifest image?
                                > >

                                > > _______

                              • iamaparent2001
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
                                  Why the 1892 manifest?

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005

                                    *********

                                    Because you wrote the following to the Austrian Consulate:

                                    "I am attempting to trace my family history back to Austria. My family
                                    came here to the US in 1897, and 1902. From what I was told they town
                                    in Austria that they came from was called, (I am taking a best guess
                                    on how to spell it!) KRISTNAPOLIA. However, according to Ellis Island
                                    records from 1902 the name of the town was "BIALYKN, with GAL written
                                    over the top" If you can help me in anyway, give me the location of
                                    the towns, if they exist, which country they are in now, etc... it
                                    would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!"

                                    Bohdana found the 1902 arrival, which you have confirmed is your
                                    ancestor.

                                    What are the names of your ancestors?

                                    Who arrived in 1897?

                                    Who told you that "they came from (what) was called "Kristnapolia."

                                    Are you sure the person arriving in 1902 is your ancestors?

                                    Are you sure the person arriving in 1897 is your ancestor?

                                    How do you know that your ancestors arrived in 1897 and 1902?

                                    How are the persons that arrived in 1902 and 1897 related?

                                  • iamaparent2001
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
                                      "

                                      > Bohdana found the 1902 arrival, which you have confirmed is your
                                      > ancestor.

                                      > What are the names of your ancestors?
                                      Zucker, Rosa, mother, Sons Isak, son from her first marriage (very
                                      interesting story behind that!), Abraham, Josef, who was my
                                      grandfather, daughters, Belia, and Bluna, Bluna was just confirmed to
                                      me the other day as the Yiddish name of my great-aunt Bertie. My
                                      great-Aunt Rae was only sibling born in US, December 1903

                                      > Who arrived in 1897?
                                      Supposedly my great-grandfather, I was told his name was GECIL,
                                      however I went to the grave today and it was Getzell. I had dates
                                      confirmed by my great Aunt Belia's daughter who is 88 just two days ago.

                                      > Who told you that "they came from (what) was called
                                      "Kristnapolia."

                                      Remember that is BEST GUESS on how to spell it. My great aunt Ray told
                                      me this when I was in High School in 1982 when I was doing a report,
                                      and was confirmed to me the other day.

                                      > Are you sure the person arriving in 1902 is your ancestors?

                                      YES! I also looked at census records of 1910, 1920, I am 100 percent sure

                                      > Are you sure the person arriving in 1897 is your ancestor?

                                      Give or take a year yes. However, from what I have read not all
                                      manifests are available

                                      > How do you know that your ancestors arrived in 1897 and 1902?

                                      Cusin Rhoda told me this the other day.

                                      > How are the persons that arrived in 1902 and 1897 related?

                                      My great grandfather came to the US first, wife and children came later.

                                      Two interesting stories. My great uncle Isak his father was married to
                                      my great grandmother. However his father did not wish to serve in the
                                      army anymore and decided to cut off some of his toes. Anyway infection
                                      set in and he died.

                                      My great grandmother was running late for the ship to the US. She was
                                      freaking out that she would not make the ship in time for Shabbas, and
                                      that she would not be able to board it. Theodore herzell the founder
                                      of Israel or Zionism, helped her and the children get to the ship.

                                      I do appreciate the time you are taking for helping me out.

                                      Pete

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
                                        iamaparent2001 wrote:

                                        > Zucker, Rosa, mother, Sons Isak, son from her first marriage (very
                                        > interesting story behind that!), Abraham, Josef, who was my
                                        > grandfather, daughters, Belia, and Bluna, Bluna was just confirmed to
                                        > me the other day as the Yiddish name of my great-aunt Bertie. My
                                        > great-Aunt Rae was only sibling born in US, December 1903

                                        OK...I see, I thought the first passenger, "Spodeck Reisic" on the
                                        following manifest sheet was your ancestor.

                                        http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=102794040031&MID=10859994970020109632&order_num=1450563481&ORDER_ID=1500308597&

                                        The Zuckers, the next people on the manifest, are indeed Hebrews from
                                        Galicia. I cannot read their residence, and cannot figure out how the
                                        extractor determined that the place is "Bialykn."

                                        > > Who arrived in 1897?
                                        > Supposedly my great-grandfather, I was told his name was GECIL,
                                        > however I went to the grave today and it was Getzell. I had dates
                                        > confirmed by my great Aunt Belia's daughter who is 88 just two days ago.

                                        Have you found that person's arrival record?

                                        > > Who told you that "they came from (what) was called
                                        > "Kristnapolia."
                                        >
                                        > Remember that is BEST GUESS on how to spell it. My great aunt Ray told
                                        > me this when I was in High School in 1982 when I was doing a report,
                                        > and was confirmed to me the other day.

                                        Well, there is only one place in Galicia that had the name Krystynopol,
                                        and there was no district by that name, so there is no uncertainty.

                                        > > Are you sure the person arriving in 1902 is your ancestors?
                                        >
                                        > YES! I also looked at census records of 1910, 1920, I am 100 percent sure

                                        OK! But, their place of residence cannot be determined from the
                                        manifest sheet, IMHO. At least on Zucker was naturalized - have you
                                        searched for naturalization records, which will have birthplace?

                                        > > Are you sure the person arriving in 1897 is your ancestor?
                                        >
                                        > Give or take a year yes. However, from what I have read not all
                                        > manifests are available

                                        All manifest sheets are avialable back to early 1800s.

                                        > > How do you know that your ancestors arrived in 1897 and 1902?
                                        >
                                        > Cusin Rhoda told me this the other day.
                                        > >
                                        > > How are the persons that arrived in 1902 and 1897 related?
                                        >
                                        > My great grandfather came to the US first, wife and children came later.

                                        OK, so the husband came in 1897. Find his 1897 arrival record and see
                                        if a birthplace or residence is provided. If the Zuckers were from
                                        Krystynopol the 1902 manifest would have that, but it does not. It
                                        appears that their shtetl was near Krystynopol. Krystynopol is probably
                                        the nearby large community.

                                        > Two interesting stories. My great uncle Isak his father was married to
                                        > my great grandmother. However his father did not wish to serve in the
                                        > army anymore and decided to cut off some of his toes. Anyway infection
                                        > set in and he died.

                                        That is interesting. I knew guys that cut their fingers off to get out
                                        of the Vietnam War.

                                        > My great grandmother was running late for the ship to the US. She was
                                        > freaking out that she would not make the ship in time for Shabbas, and
                                        > that she would not be able to board it. Theodore herzell the founder
                                        > of Israel or Zionism, helped her and the children get to the ship.
                                        >
                                        > I do appreciate the time you are taking for helping me out.

                                        Thanks...but you still have a lot to do.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
                                          Laurence Krupnak wrote:

                                          > OK! But, their place of residence cannot be determined from the
                                          > manifest sheet, IMHO. At least on

                                          one

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 29, 2005
                                            <Lkrupnak@e...> wrote:
                                            > Laurence Krupnak wrote:

                                            > > Zucker was naturalized - have you
                                            > > searched for naturalization records, which will have birthplace?

                                            Not as of yet. I do know for a fact that my grandfather, Josef was
                                            naturalized around 1913-1915. I am quite fortunate that I live in a
                                            NYC suburb so I have easy access to records, and the fact that I will
                                            be in downtown Manhattan 4 mornings a week for the next month will
                                            give me plenty of afternoons to kill looking for records.

                                            By the way do you read Hebrew? I photographed my great grandparents
                                            headstones today and need some trasnlating.
                                          • seraph1818
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                                              Are you saying that your ggrandfather's name was something like Getzel
                                              ZUCKER and he arrived in 1897? Also, if you send me a photo of the
                                              gravestone (seraph@...) and/or post on the group, I could give
                                              it a look-see as for the names. I can do fairly well in Hebrew, when
                                              it comes to the names, although I can't translate the dates, etc..
                                              Also, you could post the photo on JewishGen's ViewMate and hope
                                              someone can translate it for you.

                                              Have you checked for records on JRI-Poland? Over a million Jewish
                                              Records are online there now. You can find it toward the bottom of
                                              the JewishGen homepage under "Hosted Groups" or something like that.

                                              Debbie

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 30, 2005
                                                Go to: http://www.jewishgen.org/galicia/GNDB/srchgali.htm
                                                scroll to the bottom of the page and do a search for "Getsel" on the
                                                left side.

                                                You will see all of the spelling variants. This could come in handy
                                                for you, when researching. Also, it explains that the name is derived
                                                from "Kings II 18:18"

                                                Debbie
                                              • Bohdana Badzio
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 1, 2005
                                                  Hello Lavrentiy and Pete,

                                                  I gave the name of Spodeck Reisic as a clue to find the manifest,
                                                  because, I believe, Pete hadn't given us the names of his immigrant
                                                  ancestors at that time. I searched by town name, using Morse's Gray
                                                  Form. A search on "BIALYKN" brought up this single manifest. Since the
                                                  One-Step did not work (for me) at the time of my posting to the group,
                                                  and one cannot search the ellisisland.org site by town name alone, I
                                                  provided a random name from the manifest. Together with the date of
                                                  arrival, it should have been enough to find the manifest.

                                                  So, Pete, no, I did not "assign" Spodeck Reisic to your family... ;))

                                                  Happy Canada Day to our Canadian members and happy Independence Day
                                                  weekend to those in the U.S.

                                                  Bohdana

                                                  --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak

                                                  <...>