Buczkowice

  • Alan J. Kania
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
      I've had trouble getting the cooperation of the parish priest at the
      Catholic church my grandmother attended at the turn of the last century in
      Buczkowice (just south of Bielsko-Biala). I was able to get his initial
      cooperation to photograph my grandmother's birth-records when I visited the
      church several years ago (and left a nice contribution to the church). He
      later told family members who still live in Buczkowice that only he could go
      through the church books and he didn't have time to help look for other
      family members in the books. The church books have not been filmed by the
      Church of Latter Day Saints.

      I've contacted the diocese offices in Krakow and they do not have copies of
      records from the Buczkowice church and the Lodywice diocesan office
      apparently only has recent records (but I haven't contacted them directly).

      Until the church gets a new priest who may be more cooperative about going
      through the old records, I need to look elsewhere for copies of church
      records that were filed with the diocese, gmina, or branch state archives.

      Has anyone had any experience in researching in this area of southern
      Poland?

      Here's a hodge-podge of hints of some other potential resources that I'd
      like to check out -- Oral histories with members of my family in Buczkowice
      said that my great grandfather, JOZEF KANIA, was a "major" landowner who
      married into the MIGDAL family, also "major" landowners in the area. Most of
      my family still live on a street named after them (Kaniowa)in Buczkowice. I
      would love to find where land records for the 1800s are stored for that
      area. JOZEF KANIA was also the postman in Buczkowice; according "The Nation
      in the Village: The Genesis of Peasant National Identity in Austrian Poland"
      the postman had a respected role in community leadership in some
      agricultural circles. Are there any records that would support the
      involvement of community leaders in agricultural communities?

      Many thanks, in advance, for any counsel you can provide.

      -- Alan Kania
    • Elaine Bigelow
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
        Keep in mind the priest has more to do than just say Sunday Mass. He has
        one day off a week and works harder than you or me the rest of the week or
        little or no pay. He does not have the time to go through records to the
        point that you request. It is not that he does not want to do it.

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
          I understand the parish priest is very busy. With a town that has an
          extremely high unemployment rate, I asked if he would provide an opportunity
          for one of his trusted parishioners to comb through the church records on my
          behalf and under my employ. I would also provide a nice contribution to the
          church. One of my cousins in Buczkowice has been out of work for five years
          and would have appreciated the opportunity to earn money for his family as
          well as his church. I provided him with English/Polish family information
          forms. The priest said that only he could go through the church records.

          * Alan

          _____

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
            I would like to share my experience with priests in Poland.

            I have been fortunate enough to have a cousin in Poland to help me with my genealogy. Since the Mormons have not filmed in the area, I asked my cousin for help. Although she lives in central Poland, she consented and called the priest whose church is in southern Poland. He was most co-operative. He did an early family tree dating back to 1794. I was elated and he promised to give me more. A short time later he was transferred to another parish. The new priest was un-co-operative. He made promises which he never kept. My cousin finally found someone who lived in the parish and he asked the priest if he could make copies of the records. The priest hesitated claiming that he had no copy machine and taking the fragile books into town was not possible. I even offered to purchase a copy machine if all the records for my surnames could be copied. Eventually the priest consented and I was able to get copies of the records on his copy machine.

            At the beginning I received full copies but after a short time it was a half page containing the records I wanted. Lately I only receive 1 record that has been cut for the family name that I requested.

            I have periodically sent a gift for the priest but his attitude has not changed. My cousin informs me that priests are not in the money from the Americans. Since the government is now very generous and provides money to the churches they do not have to depend on money from research. My cousin heard this on her local television.

            This is not true for all priests. Some people that I know have had very generous priests who provide them with more records than they have asked for.

            I realize that the priests are busy and at certain times of the year do not allow research.

            This has been my experience and every situation is different. Frequently I will say your best solution is to find a cousin. There has been a trade-off. I have researched for her in the states since her g-father came to America, got married had children and than returned to Poland. The irony is that she is not part of the family that I am researching.

            I have been fortunate to have received more than I could ever imagine and I thank my cousin for all her help.

            I wish you all well on your search,

            Irene

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
              Hello Alan,

              Young priests are very protective of the parish registers. They
              have been informed that there are cases where priest allowed researchers
              (foreigners seeking their roots) to examine the books. To their dismay,
              pages have been removed/cut with razor blades, etc. Plus people with
              digital cameras want to photograph entries. In the process they have
              broken spines to get "good shots."

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                Laurence Krupnak wrote:

                > Hello Alan,
                >
                > Young priests are very protective of the parish registers. They
                > have been informed that there are cases where priest allowed researchers
                > (foreigners seeking their roots) to examine the books. To their dismay,
                > pages have been removed/cut with razor blades, etc. Plus people with
                > digital cameras want to photograph entries. In the process they have
                > broken spines to get "good shots."

                I meant portable flatbed scanners.

                > _____
                >
                > Lavrentiy
                >

                > "Alan J. Kania" wrote:
                > >
                > > I've had trouble getting the cooperation of the parish priest at the
                > > Catholic church my grandmother attended at the turn of the last century in
                > > Buczkowice (just south of Bielsko-Biala). I was able to get his initial
                > > cooperation to photograph my grandmother's birth-records when I visited the
                > > church several years ago (and left a nice contribution to the church). He
                > > later told family members who still live in Buczkowice that only he could go
                > > through the church books and he didn't have time to help look for other
                > > family members in the books. The church books have not been filmed by the
                > > Church of Latter Day Saints.
                > >
                > > I've contacted the diocese offices in Krakow and they do not have copies of
                > > records from the Buczkowice church and the Lodywice diocesan office
                > > apparently only has recent records (but I haven't contacted them directly).
                > >
                > > Until the church gets a new priest who may be more cooperative about going
                > > through the old records, I need to look elsewhere for copies of church
                > > records that were filed with the diocese, gmina, or branch state archives.
                > >
                > > Has anyone had any experience in researching in this area of southern
                > > Poland?
                > >
                > > Here's a hodge-podge of hints of some other potential resources that I'd
                > > like to check out -- Oral histories with members of my family in Buczkowice
                > > said that my great grandfather, JOZEF KANIA, was a "major" landowner who
                > > married into the MIGDAL family, also "major" landowners in the area. Most of
                > > my family still live on a street named after them (Kaniowa)in Buczkowice. I
                > > would love to find where land records for the 1800s are stored for that
                > > area. JOZEF KANIA was also the postman in Buczkowice; according "The Nation
                > > in the Village: The Genesis of Peasant National Identity in Austrian Poland"
                > > the postman had a respected role in community leadership in some
                > > agricultural circles. Are there any records that would support the
                > > involvement of community leaders in agricultural communities?
                > >
                > > Many thanks, in advance, for any counsel you can provide.
                > >
                > > -- Alan Kania
              • Alan J. Kania
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                  Alas, all that about parish priests is true and I can accept whatever reason
                  why the priest would not want others (even trusted members of the parish) to
                  copy information onto family history forms, but that still leaves me with
                  the problem of trying to find where copies of the church registers and/or
                  family farm land records would be archived for Buczkowice in the 1800s to
                  early 1900s. Krakow and Lodywice have been strike-outs on the church records
                  and I'm fumbling for where civil records (particularly land records) are for
                  Buczkowice.

                  Also, is there any way of determining what military assignment people would
                  have had to the Austrian Army in the late 1800s? I have a photograph of my
                  great grandfather in a military uniform. I went to the war museum in
                  Insbruck, Austria and they confirmed it was definitely an Austrian uniform,
                  but could not tell any more than that. I also consulted with Karen Hobbs,
                  but we have yet to determine to any great certainty which regiment or any
                  other designation that indicates where he served. He was the postman in
                  Buczkowice whom I described earlier.

                  -- Alan

                • linda bellofatto
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                    There are some helpful people on the Rootsweb Austro-Hungarian military
                    mailing list. AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN-MILITARY-L@... They may be able to
                    help you identify the uniform. Best of luck to you. You may already be aware
                    of this web site, but if not, this may also be helpful
                    http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/
                    Linda

[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Elaine Bigelow
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 6, 2004
                      Another thing to think about is the confidentiality of these records,
                      although the information contained in them have no comparison to medical
                      records, there is some degree of confidentiality associated with details in
                      the records, I am not sure what the church cannons stipulate, I do not
                      remember. Also the state of the records are to be considered, most of the
                      records are in a fragile condition and most records are recorded only by
                      date of baptism, therefore one might have to pour over every page in the
                      record book if they are not sure of the date or even the year. Consider
                      also the number of requests and the number of times these would have to be
                      handled. I sure feel your frustrations though, being so close, and not
                      being able to get the information you need. Hopefully things will open up
                      for you and the information will be found. Good luck in your search.
                      Perhaps someday there will be a diocesan church archivist, local or
                      district, to do this type of work for people who request it.

                      Keep in mind the priest has more to do than just say Sunday Mass. He has
                      one day off a week and works harder than you or me the rest of the week or
                      little or no pay. He does not have the time to go through records to the
                      point that you request. It is not that he does not want to do it.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      click here
                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cjtqlrm/M=291630.4786521.5933964.1261774/D=egroup
                      web/S=1705132737:HM/EXP=1081379012/A=2072415/R=0/SIG=11thh7ako/*http://www.n
                      etflix.com/Default?mqso=60178432&partid=4786521>

                      be>

                    • barbo117@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 7, 2004
                        Hi Eva,
                        Thanks for the info, Hanaczow is the village my grandfather came from.
                        I will check out the LDS info.

                        Barbara
                        On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:24:04 -0400 "me_me" <me_me@...> writes:
                        > Hi Barbara,
                        >

                        > I’m researching the villages in the vicinity of Hanaczów –
                        > Kurowice,
                        > Alfredówka, Wyz~niany, and I have Hanaczów on my
                        > to-do-at-some-later-time
                        > list too, so I can help a little bit.
                        >

                        > There were two villages with similar names close to each other:
                        > Hanaczów and
                        > Hanaczówka.
                        >

                        > Quoting from the 1929 Polish Business Directory: Województwo
                        > Tarnopol
                        > [province of Tarnopol]
                        >

                        > Hanaczów: village and township. District of Przemys~lany. District
                        > court in
                        > Gliniany, circuit court in Zl~oczów. Population 1306. Railway
                        > station in
                        > Kurowice. Post office with telegraph and public telephone in S~wirz.
                        > 1 Roman
                        > Catholic Church.
                        >
                        > midwife – Wojtowicz, M.
                        >
                        > credit union – Kasa Stolarczyka [very popular chain of credit unions
                        > for
                        > farmers]
                        >
                        > grain mill – at Franciscans convent
                        >
                        > tobacco products – Farmers Cooperative
                        >

                        > Hanaczówka: village and township. District of Przemys~lany. District
                        > court
                        > in Gliniany, circuit court in Zl~oczów. Population 637. Railway
                        > station in
                        > Krosienko Zaciemna (4km). Post office with telegraph and public
                        > telephone in
                        > S~wirz. 1 roman catholic church.
                        >
                        > manors owners – count Alfred Potocki, Tadeusz Wirk
                        >
                        > farmers produce – Farmers Cooperative
                        >
                        > blacksmith – Ilków, J.
                        >
                        > grain mill – Striks, A.
                        >
                        > liquor – Gräbel, J.
                        >

                        > Today both villages are in Ukraine and the Ukrainian names are
                        > Hanachiv and
                        > Hanachivka respectively.
                        >

                        > The Family Research Library (Mormons) has the following microfilms
                        > for
                        > Hanaczów & Hanaczowka.
                        >
                        > Roman Catholic Church: 0766212, 2005251, 2005252 & 2328826
                        >
                        > Greek Catholic Church:: 2043389, 2043390
                        >

                        > Happy researching.
                        >

                        > Eva Zuber
                        >
                        > Toronto
                        >

                        > _____

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=290828.4794622.5939935.1261774/D=egroup
                        web

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 7, 2004
                          "Alan J. Kania" wrote:

                          > Alas, all that about parish priests is true and I can accept whatever reason
                          > why the priest would not want others (even trusted members of the parish) to
                          > copy information onto family history forms, but that still leaves me with
                          > the problem of trying to find where copies of the church registers

                          Only one copy of parish vital statistic registers were prepared. The
                          copy was given to the diocese.

                          > and/or
                          > family farm land records would be archived for Buczkowice in the 1800s to
                          > early 1900s.

                          Have you contacted the Polish State Archives regional branch?

                          > Krakow and Lodywice have been strike-outs on the church records

                          Contact the diocese archive.

                          > and I'm fumbling for where civil records (particularly land records) are for
                          > Buczkowice.

                          Try the regional State archive.

                          > Also, is there any way of determining what military assignment people would
                          > have had to the Austrian Army in the late 1800s? I have a photograph of my
                          > great grandfather in a military uniform. I went to the war museum in
                          > Insbruck, Austria and they confirmed it was definitely an Austrian uniform,
                          > but could not tell any more than that. I also consulted with Karen Hobbs,
                          > but we have yet to determine to any great certainty which regiment or any
                          > other designation that indicates where he served. He was the postman in
                          > Buczkowice whom I described earlier.

                          After ca. 1867 the personnel folders for personnel in
                          Austrian/Galician military units do not seem to exist. The LDS has the
                          records on microfilm for personnel serving prior to ca. 1867. Austrian
                          military archive has index cards for WWI-period personnel for Galician
                          units.

                          After 1867, records were no longer centrally maintained in Vienna.
                          Vienna says that Poland and Ukraine archive should have them. Poland
                          and Ukraine say that Vienna has them. Nobody has them.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 7, 2004
                            "Alan J. Kania" wrote:

                            > Alas, all that about parish priests is true and I can accept whatever reason
                            > why the priest would not want others (even trusted members of the parish) to
                            > copy information onto family history forms, but that still leaves me with
                            > the problem of trying to find where copies of the church registers

                            Only one copy of parish vital statistic registers were prepared. The
                            copy was given to the diocese.

                            > and/or family farm land records would be archived for Buczkowice in
                            > the 1800s to early 1900s.

                            Had you contacted the regional branch of the Polish State Archives?

                            > Krakow and Lodywice have been strike-outs on the church records

                            Contact the diocese archive.

                            > and I'm fumbling for where civil records (particularly land records) are for
                            > Buczkowice.

                            Try the regional State archive.

                            > Also, is there any way of determining what military assignment people would
                            > have had to the Austrian Army in the late 1800s? I have a photograph of my
                            > great grandfather in a military uniform. I went to the war museum in
                            > Insbruck, Austria and they confirmed it was definitely an Austrian uniform,
                            > but could not tell any more than that. I also consulted with Karen Hobbs,
                            > but we have yet to determine to any great certainty which regiment or any
                            > other designation that indicates where he served. He was the postman in
                            > Buczkowice whom I described earlier.

                            After ca. 1867 the personnel folders for personnel in
                            Austrian/Galician military units do not seem to exist. The LDS has the
                            records on microfilm for personnel serving prior to ca. 1867. Austrian
                            military archive has index cards for WWI-period personnel for Galician
                            units.

                            After 1867, records were no longer centrally maintained in Vienna.
                            Vienna says that Poland and Ukraine archive should have them. Poland
                            and Ukraine say that Vienna has them. Nobody has them.

                            > -- Alan

                          • Alan J. Kania
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 8, 2004
                              Many thanks, Lavrentiy, for your advice. I need to organize my thoughts, get
                              my cousin from Poland to translate some letters of inquiry into Polish and
                              push ahead with my family research. You've been able to take me by the
                              shoulders, give me a little kick in the pants, and send me down the right
                              paths.

                              I heard the same argument about the military records being lost, but I also
                              heard that to even begin to search the war archives in Austria, you must
                              have the correct regiment or other military designation because records are
                              filed that way and not by geographic location or surname. The only hint of
                              an identification is an old photograph that has been attributed to being my
                              great grandfather. He was born in 1856 in Buczkowice, but when I posted the
                              photo on the Austrian-Hungarian military bulletin board, one participant
                              said it looks more like a World War I uniform. I have another photograph of
                              the same alleged great grandfather taken around World War I and he looks
                              older, but with the same facial features as the military picture. I guess
                              the photos need to go to Vienna to get some expert opinion from the war
                              archives.

                              Again, many thanks for your advice.

                              -- Alan Kania

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 8, 2004
                                "Alan J. Kania" wrote:

                                > I heard the same argument about the military records being lost,

                                After 1867, Austrian military personnel records were no longer
                                centrally maintained in Vienna. Only God seems to know what happened to
                                them.

                                > but I also
                                > heard that to even begin to search the war archives in Austria, you must
                                > have the correct regiment or other military designation because records are
                                > filed that way and not by geographic location or surname.

                                Correct.

                                For example, the LDS FHL has the pre ca. 1867 records on microfilm.
                                You need to know unit and service period:

                                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=344634&subject_disp=Austria+%2D+Military+records&columns=*,0,0

                                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=433094&subject_disp=Austria+%2D+Military+records+%2D+Indexes&columns=*,0,0

                                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=638851&subject_disp=Austria+%2D+Military+records+%2D+Inventories%2C+registers%2C+catalogs&columns=*,0,0

                                > The only hint of
                                > an identification is an old photograph that has been attributed to being my
                                > great grandfather. He was born in 1856 in Buczkowice, but when I posted the
                                > photo on the Austrian-Hungarian military bulletin board, one participant
                                > said it looks more like a World War I uniform.

                                He would have been ca. 58 years old in 1914!

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 8, 2004