Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Surnames Jaremchysyn, Lepky (Bohdan), Liscyznsky, in Berezhany

  • ERIKA CARO
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2005
      Thank you very much for your response. My transliteration is problem painful for some to read. What archival source do you think I might search for a birth record?
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2005
        Thanks-I see the archival info!! Appreciate it.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2005
          Sarah, thanks for your response. Yes, they pronounced it "Yaremchishin"-transliterated more or less. My family came over in 1949 when Ellis Island was closed. My greatgrfather Ivan had only two sons, one which died and one which came here. But he may have had uncles and aunts and other relations. I found someone the net in Ukraine with the same name in an article about Cycling in Poland. But when I requested to contact this person, I never received a reply. My grandfather changed our name to Jarem and pronounced it with a J. You also will find people in the phone book here and there spelled "Yarem". Don't know. Hope this helps.
          I cannot help specifically with your search but I have a question on the pronunciation of the last name, Jaremchysyn. Is the "J" pronounced as a "Y" at any point in the names history? The reason I am asking is because my ancestors went by the name Yarm and I have not been able to find information on them. I was told the name would have been spelled as "Jarm" in the Austrian Empire and would have been pronounced as Yarm. Some of my family took the name James when they went trough Ellis Island and I am wondering if the name may have really be Jarem. If you can give me some insight, it may solve a family search dead end.

          Best Regards,

          Sarah

          erikajaremcaro <erikajaremcaro@...> wrote:
          Friends- I am working on my family's genealogy and have only Wasyl
          Lew's "Bohdan Lepky: his life and works" (Publ. Shevchencko
          Scientific Society, 1976)from which to draw genealogical
          information; Lepky was my great uncle.
          I am hoping to contact family members in US Canada or Ukraine,
          etc. who would be interested in shared information about our family
          and tracing its' diaspora here in North America.
          My extended family is from Berezhany with my grgrgrandfather being
          a Sylvester Lepky (1845-1901 born in Shukovi), his daughter Olga
          Lepky (brother of Bohdan) being my great grandmother. My family
          emigrated to Ohio, USA in 1949. Is there any one with information
          pertinent to my search out there?
          I enjoy this site and have visited Roman Z's site on Berezhany.
          Also looking for birth records on grgrandfather Ivan Jaremchysyn,
          (1863-1926) a postal worker from Sudovi Vishi (sp?). This is where
          his sons were born. I believe this was Poland at the time.I have no
          birthplace or parentage for him and don't know where to start. I
          don't speak Ukranian but can transliterate and use my dictionary
          fairly well.
          Names of relations who came to US were Smik (Chicago), Juzwiak
          (Ohio), Lepky (NJ), Remeza (Ottawa, CANADA)
          Thank you.

        • wojtek balos
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2005
            Sadowa Wisznia, parish records :

            for Roman Catholics
            Parish : N.M.P. Wspomozenia Wiernych
            for Orthodox
            Parish : Ukrainskiej Prawoslawnej Autokefalicznej cerkwi p.w. Sw. Trojcy,
            for Greek-catholics
            Parish : Ukrainskiej Greko-Katolickiej cerkwi p.w. Chrystusa Zbawiciela

            more in priva e-mail

            Alkin

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2005
              Thank you so much for your help. Also many,many of my relations were priests. I suppose I would find specific information on them in the same place?

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2005
                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, wojtek balos
                <wojtekbalos@y...> wrote:

                > Laurence Krupnak <Lkrupnak@e...> wrote:
                >
                > > This is where
                > > > his sons were born. I believe this was Poland at the time.
                >
                > > Was in Poland between WWI and WWII.
                >
                > ps.
                > very very little correction:
                > 81340 Sadowa Wisznia, presently Ukraine
                >
                > Was in Poland between 1340s and 1772,
                > and in period of Galician Autonomy 1860s to 1914,

                ********

                Galician Autonomy:

                http://www.zum.de/whkmla/region/eceurope/galicia18671890.html

                http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0820036.html

                http://80.1911encyclopedia.org/G/GA/GALICIA.htm

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2005
                  ERIKA CARO wrote:

                  > Thank you very much for your response. My transliteration is problem painful for some to read. What archival source do you think I might search for a birth record?

                  *********

                  The LDS Family History Library has some of the Sudova Vyshnia Greek
                  Catholic parish vital statistic registers on microfilm.

                • Sarah Ritts
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Dear Erika:

                    Thank you so very much for this wonderful reply. Yes, the information helps a great deal, as it opens new avenues of research that formerly I had not considered. Who knows this may be the beginning to finally locating records and information I have been searching for, for years without success. I may finally be able to fill in the missing pieces at least I hope so. If I had not seen the name Jaremchysyn I may have never considered the root of the name Yarm. Thank you again and have a great weekend.

                    I wish you the best on your searches.

                    Regards,

                    Sarah