Pazia versus Pelagia

  • a_spry
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      I keep coming across variations of these two names in my Farbotnik
      family research and I am wondering if Pazia is a nickname for
      Pelagia?

      According to my baby name book, Pelagia is greek for sea and Pazia
      is Hebrew for golden but also Greek for sea. Given the fact that
      they have the same meaning, I'm wondering if they are in fact
      versions of the same name. I have a cousin to my grandfather who
      married a Pelagia Zahorbynska (Zaravenski) and my great grandmother
      was was Pazia (Placko) Farbotnik.

      Now just two days ago I found a Pazia Farbotnik on a ship manifest
      who is the right age to be a daughter or possibly a niece of my
      great grandmother. The younger Pazia is from the same town that my
      grandfather was from, she came to the US only a few months after my
      grandfather and they both travelled on the same ship and ended up in
      Philadelphia.

      I'm trying to find out what happened to the younger Pazia and I just
      requested a search of the Immigration records at the Philadelphia
      Archives. I'm guessing that she's not a sister to my grandfather
      because my father is still alive (and has a wonderful memory at the
      age of 82) and he never heard his father mention a sister living in
      Philadelphia, let alone one with the same name as his grandmother.

      Not that's not to say it's not possible but it's unlikely. I
      suppose the younger Pazia could have died shortly after arriving
      here and maybe my grandfather just never spoke of her.

      Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any background on the two names
      and how common they were in Galicia in the late 1800's would be
      appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Alida
    • D. A. Reimer
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
        Alida,

        My grandmother's name was also Pelahia. I'm not sure I have the correct
        spelling, but she also went by the name Polly or Poly in Canada. I've
        been told by relatives that: "According to the local tradition this name
        is used in the shortened form: Pazia."

        Dolores

        a_spry wrote:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >I keep coming across variations of these two names in my Farbotnik
        >family research and I am wondering if Pazia is a nickname for
        >Pelagia?
        >
        >According to my baby name book, Pelagia is greek for sea and Pazia
        >is Hebrew for golden but also Greek for sea. Given the fact that
        >they have the same meaning, I'm wondering if they are in fact
        >versions of the same name. I have a cousin to my grandfather who
        >married a Pelagia Zahorbynska (Zaravenski) and my great grandmother
        >was was Pazia (Placko) Farbotnik.
        >
        >Now just two days ago I found a Pazia Farbotnik on a ship manifest
        >who is the right age to be a daughter or possibly a niece of my
        >great grandmother. The younger Pazia is from the same town that my
        >grandfather was from, she came to the US only a few months after my
        >grandfather and they both travelled on the same ship and ended up in
        >Philadelphia.
        >
        >I'm trying to find out what happened to the younger Pazia and I just
        >requested a search of the Immigration records at the Philadelphia
        >Archives. I'm guessing that she's not a sister to my grandfather
        >because my father is still alive (and has a wonderful memory at the
        >age of 82) and he never heard his father mention a sister living in
        >Philadelphia, let alone one with the same name as his grandmother.
        >
        >Not that's not to say it's not possible but it's unlikely. I
        >suppose the younger Pazia could have died shortly after arriving
        >here and maybe my grandfather just never spoke of her.
        >
        >Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any background on the two names
        >and how common they were in Galicia in the late 1800's would be
        >appreciated.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Alida
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Lolly Kozak
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
          Re: Pelagia
          In the LDS records I've been researching I've come across many Pelagias;
          it was a strange name to me. The same records have Parascavias so I know
          they are distinct names.
          Lolly

          Don't just Search. Find! http://search.sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx The new
          MSN Search! Check it out!
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
            Hello Alida,

            Pazia is indeed a diminutive form of Pelagia.

            Pelagia is from the Greek feminine given name Pelagia, from the
            Greek word pelagios ('of the sea').

            The Hebrew name Pazya (or Pazia or Paziah), although similar, means
            G_d's gold. Hebrew name Pazya is from the Hebrew word paz, which means
            gold.

            Pelagia is very popular among Rusyns and Ukrainians. They
            got the name from the Greek name, not from the Hebrew name.

            Pelagia is less popular among Poles compared to among Rusyns and
            Ukrainians.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
              Hello Lolly,

              Pelagia (Pelahia) and Paraskevia are two distinct names.

              Lolly Kozak wrote:

              > Re: Pelagia
              > In the LDS records I've been researching I've come across many Pelagias;
              > it was a strange name to me. The same records have Parascavias so I know
              > they are distinct names.
              > Lolly
            • a_spry
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2005
                Thank you Lavrentiy.

                So, based on this info, can I assume (I know what happens when you
                assume things but...) then that my great grandmother's full name was
                Pelagia given that my grandfather's social security application
                lists his mother as Paza Placko?

                My grandfather's brother indicated on his application that his
                mother's name was Pazi. Is this also a nickname for Pelagia?

                Can Pelagia also be spelled Pelahia? I've saw this spelling for the
                wife of a cousin to my grandfather and I was wondering if it was
                just a typo or an actual variation.

                Thanks as always for your insight.

                Alida

                --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2005
                  a_spry wrote:

                  > Thank you Lavrentiy.
                  >
                  > So, based on this info, can I assume (I know what happens when you
                  > assume things but...) then that my great grandmother's full name was
                  > Pelagia given that my grandfather's social security application
                  > lists his mother as Paza Placko?

                  That is a safe assumption.

                  Your grandmother wasn't a Jew, therefore Pazia would be from Pelagia.

                  > My grandfather's brother indicated on his application that his
                  > mother's name was Pazi. Is this also a nickname for Pelagia?

                  I think you can assume that your grandfather's brother or the clerk
                  made a spelling error.

                  > Can Pelagia also be spelled Pelahia? I've saw this spelling for the
                  > wife of a cousin to my grandfather and I was wondering if it was
                  > just a typo or an actual variation.

                  Pelageya is Russian

                  Pelaheya or Pelahiya is Ukrainian

                  Pelagia is Polish