Russian Name

  • Judith Hrynenko
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
      Dear List,

      I received a phone call from Steve Nazarchuk, who is tracing his family
      history and was hoping that I could help. Unfortunately my knowledge is
      limited. We have such a fantastic group of educated people on our list and
      told him we would ask for your help. His mother is listed on the Ellis
      Island records as Pelageja Zollnaroff. (spelling should be Zolnaroff).
      Place of residence is Dichwenofka, Russia, but cannot find this city/town,
      wondering if the spelling is correct? And the place of port states Libau,
      again cannot be found? The family made their way to Canada and settled in
      Saskatchewan.

      He would love to know the meaning of her last name, she went by Paulie. If
      someone could direct him as to location of both town/city Dichwenofka and
      Libau, it would make his day. Steve's father is Ukrainian from Horodenka

      Steve appreciates any help we could give him..
      Judy
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hello Judy,

        Libau is the German spelling of Libava. Libava is the Russian name
        for Liepaja. Liepaja is a port on the Baltic Sea in the country of
        Latvia. Prior to WWI that area was in the Russian Empire. Libava was,
        at that timer, one of Russia's major seaports. Many persons emigrating
        from the Russian Empire, even from place now in Ukraine (not the
        Austrian
        part) emigrated via Libava.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
          http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=03477523220067827680&pID=800199040058&lookup=800199040058&show=K%3A%5CT715%2D1504%5CT715%2D15040448%2ETIF&origFN=K%3A%5CT715%2D1504%5CT715%2D15040449%2ETIF

          http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=800199040058&MID=03477523220067827680&

          The family is from Ponjatovka. The person they left was located in
          "Dichwenofka."

          The places were in Kherson guberniya. Kherson is on the Black Sea
          (in Ukraine).

          Here is location of Ponjatovka:

          http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=46.7500&longitude=32.9167&size=big

          Judith Hrynenko wrote:

          > Dear List,
          >
          > I received a phone call from Steve Nazarchuk, who is tracing his family
          > history and was hoping that I could help. Unfortunately my knowledge is
          > limited. We have such a fantastic group of educated people on our list and
          > told him we would ask for your help. His mother is listed on the Ellis
          > Island records as Pelageja Zollnaroff. (spelling should be Zolnaroff).
          > Place of residence is Dichwenofka, Russia, but cannot find this city/town,
          > wondering if the spelling is correct? And the place of port states Libau,
          > again cannot be found? The family made their way to Canada and settled in
          > Saskatchewan.
          >
          > He would love to know the meaning of her last name, she went by Paulie. If
          > someone could direct him as to location of both town/city Dichwenofka and
          > Libau, it would make his day. Steve's father is Ukrainian from Horodenka
          >
          > Steve appreciates any help we could give him..
          > Judy
        • Judith Hrynenko
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
            Laurence,

            Thank you for your help, I will pass this information onto Steve.

            Judy

            > Libau is the German spelling of Libava. Libava is the Russian name
            > for Liepaja. Liepaja is a port on the Baltic Sea in the country of
            > Latvia. Prior to WWI that area was in the Russian Empire. Libava was,
            > at that timer, one of Russia's major seaports. Many persons emigrating
            > from the Russian Empire, even from place now in Ukraine (not the
            > Austrian
            > part) emigrated via Libava.

            > Judith Hrynenko wrote:
            >>
            >> Dear List,
            >>
            >> I received a phone call from Steve Nazarchuk, who is tracing his family
            >> history and was hoping that I could help. Unfortunately my knowledge is
            >> limited. We have such a fantastic group of educated people on our list
            >> and
            >> told him we would ask for your help. His mother is listed on the Ellis
            >> Island records as Pelageja Zollnaroff. (spelling should be Zolnaroff).
            >> Place of residence is Dichwenofka, Russia, but cannot find this
            >> city/town,
            >> wondering if the spelling is correct? And the place of port states
            >> Libau,
            >> again cannot be found? The family made their way to Canada and settled
            >> in
            >> Saskatchewan.
            >>
            >> He would love to know the meaning of her last name, she went by Paulie.
            >> If
            >> someone could direct him as to location of both town/city Dichwenofka and
            >> Libau, it would make his day. Steve's father is Ukrainian from Horodenka
            >>
            >> Steve appreciates any help we could give him..
            >> Judy
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lorne & Sylvia Carpenter
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
              I am not sure that this will be of any help. Listed in the village/town of Kotykivka, in the Horodenka rayon, phone directory is a Nazarechuk family. Initial D. which could be Dmytro. Postal Code: 78106. For some reason, I can not find it on the map. Help!

              Sylvia

              Laurence,

              Thank you for your help, I will pass this information onto Steve.

              Judy

              > Hello Judy,
              >
              > Libau is the German spelling of Libava. Libava is the Russian name
              > for Liepaja. Liepaja is a port on the Baltic Sea in the country of
              > Latvia. Prior to WWI that area was in the Russian Empire. Libava was,
              > at that timer, one of Russia's major seaports. Many persons emigrating
              > from the Russian Empire, even from place now in Ukraine (not the
              > Austrian
              > part) emigrated via Libava.

              > Lavrentiy
              >
              > Judith Hrynenko wrote:
              >>
              >> Dear List,
              >>
              >> I received a phone call from Steve Nazarchuk, who is tracing his family
              >> history and was hoping that I could help. Unfortunately my knowledge is
              >> limited. We have such a fantastic group of educated people on our list
              >> and
              >> told him we would ask for your help. His mother is listed on the Ellis
              >> Island records as Pelageja Zollnaroff. (spelling should be Zolnaroff).
              >> Place of residence is Dichwenofka, Russia, but cannot find this
              >> city/town,
              >> wondering if the spelling is correct? And the place of port states
              >> Libau,
              >> again cannot be found? The family made their way to Canada and settled
              >> in
              >> Saskatchewan.
              >>
              >> He would love to know the meaning of her last name, she went by Paulie.
              >> If
              >> someone could direct him as to location of both town/city Dichwenofka and
              >> Libau, it would make his day. Steve's father is Ukrainian from Horodenka
              >>
              >> Steve appreciates any help we could give him..
              >> Judy

            • Judith Hrynenko
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
                Sylvia, this is great ! I just spoke with Steve, he just found out that
                there were three brothers not two like originally thought.
                He is going to write a letter and see what happens.. Do they supply the
                phone number ?? probably asking to much..

                Thank you so much,
                Judy
                > I am not sure that this will be of any help. Listed in the village/town of
                > Kotykivka, in the Horodenka rayon, phone directory is a Nazarechuk family.
                > Initial D. which could be Dmytro. Postal Code: 78106. For some reason, I
                > can not find it on the map. Help!
                >
                > Sylvia
                >
                > Laurence,
                >
                > Thank you for your help, I will pass this information onto Steve.
                >
                > Judy
                >
                >> Hello Judy,
                >>
                >> Libau is the German spelling of Libava. Libava is the Russian name
                >> for Liepaja. Liepaja is a port on the Baltic Sea in the country of
                >> Latvia. Prior to WWI that area was in the Russian Empire. Libava was,
                >> at that timer, one of Russia's major seaports. Many persons emigrating
                >> from the Russian Empire, even from place now in Ukraine (not the
                >> Austrian
                >> part) emigrated via Libava.
                >

                >> Lavrentiy
                >>
                >> Judith Hrynenko wrote:
                >>>
                >>> Dear List,
                >>>
                >>> I received a phone call from Steve Nazarchuk, who is tracing his family
                >>> history and was hoping that I could help. Unfortunately my knowledge is
                >>> limited. We have such a fantastic group of educated people on our list
                >>> and
                >>> told him we would ask for your help. His mother is listed on the Ellis
                >>> Island records as Pelageja Zollnaroff. (spelling should be Zolnaroff).
                >>> Place of residence is Dichwenofka, Russia, but cannot find this
                >>> city/town,
                >>> wondering if the spelling is correct? And the place of port states
                >>> Libau,
                >>> again cannot be found? The family made their way to Canada and settled
                >>> in
                >>> Saskatchewan.
                >>>
                >>> He would love to know the meaning of her last name, she went by Paulie.
                >>> If
                >>> someone could direct him as to location of both town/city Dichwenofka
                >>> and
                >>> Libau, it would make his day. Steve's father is Ukrainian from
                >>> Horodenka
                >>>
                >>> Steve appreciates any help we could give him..
                >>> Judy

              • Lorne & Sylvia Carpenter
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
                  Judy,

                  The complete phone number is: 011-380-3430-2-19-09 (For .47 cents per minute to Ukraine, he needs to dail 1010-925 (Yak), and then, just continue with 011-380............

                  The 1010 925 works for me!

                  The address is Rudans'koho 48

                  ?????i???? ?.?.
                  ??????????? 48
                  ?????i??? ????
                  ????????i?????? ?????
                  78106
                  ??????? - Ukraine

                • Judith Hrynenko
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005
                    Sylvia,

                    Holy smokes, we have a phone number !!! Steve is going to be surprised.
                    I'm getting a better deal from BC Tele
                    at .25 cents a min.

                    Your terrific, thanks.