Pieczniewa

  • Claire Felong
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4 6:28 AM
      I have a First Communion certificate for my grandfather Jan Lukawski of
      Poland which I believe also refers to his village of birth. I have been
      unable to find it on any maps, current or past, that I have access to. The
      village is Pieczniewa, also referred to as w kosciele Pieczniewskim. I found
      an Austro-Hungarian county of Peczenizym, would this be the same?

      A few questions:
      1) what does the letter z mean when it precedes a place name?
      2) What month is Czerwca?
      3) Any clues as to the location of Pieczniew?

      Thank you,
      Claire Felong
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4 8:27 AM
        Hello Claire,

        Is the diocese identified?

        What is the date of the certificate?

        There is a Pieczniew near L~odz:

        http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ovi=1&zoom=4&mapdata=dpjiUmP%2fFd4VvyBgl56EHmiYoDCiuKLUaGRKrSaAjOygJ9%2bxaiKEmcSUUR8v4zIWwUe63%2frHCqPddBe%2bu%2bWdtTmH5OqTNnHUVpP5mss5YySZ3ProkZ%2fdgm1mdcZ8AIr8BsvsifEdovN5%2fNl1b93CdNNsgVbw5HsClfI%2bHLgrkmfz%2fIeNCAVUwkvbrvsjqfE0d60gFl5V2FMIQ7BnXefp%2bZWLjBgKsQpGtkp76jmFabp%2fvzxuHCK4xI8Cj8xE%2fjVDr0KH5O5csYe9wuyQxcYAvYlSyYxtl3IGkchvAX%2fTZPjVhDOyuZOKRq489tRBZivbb0%2fweq5yksvzsYH769%2fiAcRmNeNGJFBtr8QZRVe1TOU%3d

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4 11:51 AM
          Hello Lavrentiy ,

          Thank you for responding.

          Certificate is dated: 29 Czerwca 1896.
          Not sure what would be the diocese but here are words. The underlined words
          are those that would have been filled in by the priest.

          Ja Jan Lukawski z Pieczniewa pierwszq Kummuniq sw. przyialem dn. 29 Czerwca
          1896 p. w kosciele Pieczniewskim.

          I found Piezniew on Mapquest as you suggested but I could not have found it
          if you had not told me. Piezniew was not on Mapquest search; I had to search
          Lodz and zoom in twice for it to show up. This helps my search because two
          of several Jan Lukawskis on the Ellis Island records are from Zlotz (would
          this be an alternate spelling for L~odz?). This also helps me identify
          Poznan province rather than Lodz province.

          Claire