Alternatives to Yahoo Groups

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2013

      Catherine,

          Thank you for your constructive comments.

          There were functions under the old Groups format which available to owners and moderators of groups to efficiently and effectively manage their group.  Those functions are either no longer available under the NEO (new) format, or they don't work very well.

          Regarding an alternative to Yahoo Groups, on the official Yahoo Feedback forum Wordpress.com was suggested:

      Group Blogs - WordPress

      How to Handle Multiple Authors on One WordPress Site
      by Joe Foley - 8th May 2013

      http://flippa.com/blog/how-to-handle-multiple-authors-on-one-wordpress-site/

      ************

      Evergreen State College

      http://wikis.evergreen.edu/computing/index.php/Group_Blogs_-_WordPress

      *********

      35 Tips Tricks To Manage and Handle Multi-Author Blogs
      By Hongkiat Lim. Filed in Wordpress, Wordpress Plugin, Wordpress Tips Tricks

      http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/35-tips-tricks-to-manage-and-handle-multi-author-blogs/

      Many other group owners are moving to Google groups.

      _________

      Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:48 PM
      Subject: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] Alternatives to Yahoo Groups

      Hi Lavrentiy,

      It might be time to investigate alternative forum designs to Yahoo Groups.

      Have a look at www.slavorum.com, This forum design is similar to that used by the Ukrainian Heraldry forum, where you can have different boards for different topics.

      Does Google have a free forum section?  I am frantically busy at work this week. If someone has more time, could you please search the net for other alternatives to Yahoo Groups?  Yahoo makes a lot of money in advertising to us and invades our prinvacy by automatically linking our accounts to facebook and other social media sites.  If they cannot provide a user-friendly product, there is not point in being loyal. If there is a better alternative, let's use it!

      In terms of posting files, there is now a system called 'Dropbox' (just google it) which would be easy to set up as the group's mailbox.  This allows you to create folders  and post files to cyberspace.

      Catherine

    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2013
        On another group I am in someone suggested we move from Yahoo a year ago due to limited storage space, a necessity for shared documents with that group. We may reconsider now, with all of these problems.

        On Yahoo Group of Groups someone suggested Big Tent, and at first glance  that  appears to offer nice features.

        Google Groups hasn't impressed me much for threading and follow-ups, but I also haven't looked in depth at that.

        Good luck to us all Larry! (and a pox upon Yahoo)

        Ron