Re: Researching the Taraska and Kosciak Surnames

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
      Hello Russell,

      What is the ethnicity of Michael - is is ancestry Polish or Rusyn/Ukrainian? Rzeszow is a city and also the name of a district. The district had many places.

      Michael's arrival record will have his specific place of birth. He could be from Rzeszow (the city). If he was then LDS FHL has Rzeszow records. See if the name Tarsaka is in the Rzeszow books. If not, then you need to find his birth place.

      Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "rlk6061" <rlk6061@...> wrote:

      > Laurence,the information that list Michael's town in Poland is from a Church record,Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Utica,New York, it was the first Polish parish in Utica.As far as the passenger list, I used Morse, ancestry and Family search.
      >
      > Russell
      >
      > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
      > >
      > > /
      > >
      > > the local registry office in Poland (the USC) will have more Desznica records.
      > >
      > > __________
      > >
      > > Lavrentiy
      > >

      > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > PSA has the following Desznica records:
      > > >
      > > > records found: 6
      > > > town denomination type of record dates
      > > > Desznica greckokatolickie ma³¿eñstwa 1784-1870
      > > > Desznica greckokatolickie ma³¿eñstwa 1872-1900
      > > > Desznica greckokatolickie urodzenia 1784-1870
      > > > Desznica greckokatolickie urodzenia 1872-1900
      > > > Desznica greckokatolickie zgony 1784-1870
      > > > Desznica greckokatolickie zgony 1872-1900
      > > >

      > > > Michael probably wasn't from the city of Rzeszow, but from a place near Rzeszow where Rusyns/Ukrainians resided. Find a US church record which will have his ancestral place.
      > > >
      > > > How did you search for Michael's arrival record? Did you use Ancestry.com and Morse one Step?
      > > >

      > > > ________
      > > >
      > > > Lavrentiy

    • rlk6061
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
        Hello Lavrentiy
        This is a copy of an email with LDS, when I questioned their records listed as Gruszow Wielki,Rzeszow,Poland. I wanted them to be aware of the error, Krakow, not Rzeszow, in the reply she states they don't have films from Rzeszow, I believe the Tarnow records they have contain villages close to the area boarders, some in Rzeszow.Most of the TARASKA families seem to be from the Gruszow Wielki area, or north of that area.

        Thanks
        Russell

        Dear Russell L. Kirk,​

        Thank you for your reply.

        We know that some search results from Historical Records show Gruszów Wielki in Rzeszów province and not in Kraków province. It is an error that will be corrected in future.

        I suggest that you FIRST obtain a birth record of Michael Taraska born in 1885 in Rzeszow. Unfortunately, we do not have Roman Catholic records from the city of Rzeszow and you will have to write to Poland. Did Michael come from the city of Rzeszow or the district of Rzeszow? That makes difference in ordering microfilm or writing to Poland. If Michael came from a village in the district of Rzeszow, you will have to determine his place of origin first by searching various records created in US. If you are sure that he came from the city of Rzeszow here is the cotact info:

        Archiwum Państwowe w Rzeszowie
        ul. Bożnicza 2
        35-064 Rzeszów
        POLAND

        email: sekretariat@...

        Try writing an e-mail in simple English first, giving all information you have about your ancestor. Please note that you will have to pay for the birth record. Now, you will be ready to research Michael's parents.

        I hope that this information will be helpful to you.

        Sincerely,

        Sylvie Pysnak, AG
        Slavic Research Consultant

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2013