Re: More information on the coal companies that sent emmissaries to Poland

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
      /

      Recruitment of Immigrants

      Immigrants in Industries, 61st Congress, 2nd Session, Senate Document No. 663. Part 1: Bituminous Coal Mining. GPO, 1911

      Extracts from Part V. - The Bituminous Coal Mining Industry in the South, pages 144-163

      http://www.wvculture.org/history/government/immigration05.html

      --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "kitkat99645" <kitkat99645@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone found where you could get more information on where the coal companies sent their persons to gather our ancestors to work in their mines?

    • genmary2004
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013

        > Recruitment of Immigrants
        >
        > Immigrants in Industries, 61st Congress, 2nd Session, Senate Document No. 663. Part 1: Bituminous Coal Mining. GPO, 1911
        >
        > Extracts from Part V. - The Bituminous Coal Mining Industry in the South, pages 144-163
        >

        > http://www.wvculture.org/history/government/immigration05.html

        I have just scanned the above site. It details when and number of immigrants and countries they came from. However, does not explain how the Poles, Slovaks, etc. were "informed" of these jobs. I have been looking for an accurate answer to this for years. I do know Polish immigrants came to Leavenworth, Kansas, starting in the early 1890's to work in the coal mines there. Question is: how did the first ones going there know to? Rest would follow from recommendations of the first..... One answer I received for the Leavenworth mines was that the priests interceded for the mines By passing word to Polish Catholic parishes in Chicago and others of the possibility of work there. That solves the question for people already living in the U.S. but what about the loads of immigrants coming to these different places? Both sets of my grandparents came to Leavenworth and coal mined. However, from extreme parts of what you might call Poland--one, in northwest Poland today, German controlled then, and my paternal grandparents from eastern Galicia (Grzymalow/Hlibow) - Austrian controlled. They and my grandmother's aunt were the first of that family to go to Leavenworth. So, very far apart but yet both wound up in Leavenworth.
        Questions is--who, where, and how were the men recruited to come work in the different mines? Particularly, from Europe.

        The parish referral may be an accurate one for ones already living in the states. My gr-uncle and gr-aunt had immigrated to Toledo, Ohio. Then, after a year, went west to Leavenworth My maternal grandparents and two other siblings followed. We need an answer on how recruiting was done in Europe!!!

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
          Sorry, if this comes up as a duplicate but I sent a comment several hours ago and do not see it posted. So, here goes again. I'm just typing it at the top of Laurence's.

          I quickly read the West Virginia site he posted. I could not find anything that listed where or how any recruitment of immigrants was done. For several years, I'm been trying to find the accurate answer as to how the first immigrants from a village came to a particular place, e.g. both sets of my grandparents, one from Galicia, one from Poznan Province, came to Leavenworth to work in the coal mines.
          Someone has told me that the Leavenworth priests interceded for the mine companies by contacting Polish parishes in large cities, like Chicago. That makes sense for those already in the U.S. Question is: how did Jan in Srebrna Gora or Michal in Hlibow know how to get to Leavenworth in the first place. Were there recruiters actually in Europe?
          The priest's referral was true, I believe, for my great aunt and uncle who immigrated to Toledo, Ohio, in 1892. However, they were in Leavenworth a couple yrs later, he working in the coal mines. From them, three of her siblings followed them there directly from Poland. However, my paternal grandparents, along with grandma's aunt and husband came directly to Leavenworth, as far as I know, not knowing anyone there. There's that question again: WERE THERE RECRUITERS FOR GERMAN POlES AND AUSTRIAN POLES in EUROPE?

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
            /

            King Coal: A Piece of Eastern
            Pennsylvania History
            Jill M. Beccaris and Christine Woyshner

            posters to recruit new immigrants to work in the mines

            http://www.socialstudies.org/system/files/images/Labor-Elemschool.pdf

            *************

            Immigrants were recruited to the coal mines in various ways. Some were attracted by ....

            http://history.ky.gov/pdf/Library/LEGM028-Immigration%20and%20Kentuckys%20Coal%20Industry.pdf

            *************

            Immigrants to the United States came to the coal mines through a variety of means. Some were attracted by labor agents stationed in major ports of entry who often resorted to elaborate and deceptive descriptions of living and working conditions in the mines. Others followed friends and relatives to coal towns and camps. Early immigrant miners were primarily natives of coal mining regions of Great Britain and Ireland. Wales, a region containing numerous coal mines, was heavily represented, and a continuous influx of Irish labor during the nineteenth century ensured the presence of large numbers of Irish miners in most coalproducing regions.

            http://immigrationinamerica.org/438-coal-industry.html

            **********

            http://themoonlitroad.com/coal-mining-appalachia/

            _________

            Lavrentiy

            --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "genmary2004" <mpate@...> wrote:

            > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
            > >
            > > /
            > >
            > > Recruitment of Immigrants
            > >
            > > Immigrants in Industries, 61st Congress, 2nd Session, Senate Document No. 663. Part 1: Bituminous Coal Mining. GPO, 1911
            > >
            > > Extracts from Part V. - The Bituminous Coal Mining Industry in the South, pages 144-163
            > >

            > > http://www.wvculture.org/history/government/immigration05.html
            > >
            > I have just scanned the above site. It details when and number of immigrants and countries they came from. However, does not explain how the Poles, Slovaks, etc. were "informed" of these jobs. I have been looking for an accurate answer to this for years. I do know Polish immigrants came to Leavenworth, Kansas, starting in the early 1890's to work in the coal mines there. Question is: how did the first ones going there know to? Rest would follow from recommendations of the first..... One answer I received for the Leavenworth mines was that the priests interceded for the mines By passing word to Polish Catholic parishes in Chicago and others of the possibility of work there. That solves the question for people already living in the U.S. but what about the loads of immigrants coming to these different places? Both sets of my grandparents came to Leavenworth and coal mined. However, from extreme parts of what you might call Poland--one, in northwest Poland today, German controlled then, and my paternal grandparents from eastern Galicia (Grzymalow/Hlibow) - Austrian controlled. They and my grandmother's aunt were the first of that family to go to Leavenworth. So, very far apart but yet both wound up in Leavenworth.
            > Questions is--who, where, and how were the men recruited to come work in the different mines? Particularly, from Europe.
            >
            > The parish referral may be an accurate one for ones already living in the states. My gr-uncle and gr-aunt had immigrated to Toledo, Ohio. Then, after a year, went west to Leavenworth My maternal grandparents and two other siblings followed. We need an answer on how recruiting was done in Europe!!!
            > >
            > > Lavrentiy
            > >

            > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "kitkat99645" <kitkat99645@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone found where you could get more information on where the coal companies sent their persons to gather our ancestors to work in their mines?

          • Kathy Ax
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
              Hi,
              Yes from what I have read there were actual emissaries sent to Europe to go from village to village. Yes and my question has been Did they just go to any village in sight or did they know which ones where already mining? Such as was the case with my Slovak relatives from the Kosice region. Their village had already been mining copper and iron ore. As for Poland from what I can discern is that my relatives there were farmers and highland people. In this area there was major turmoil because of the war between factions at the time. So I think the bottom line for them was a decision of should I stay and see if we can make it or take the chance to go to America for a better life. I'm not saying this is right but this is the jist of it for me. I had a couple relatives who came over then when back and then some who came over and never looked back. I think it was a decision on an individual basis. From the history of Poland I have found the goodness of how
              these people lived. They were close to the land. They didn't want for nothing except to just have a good crop and have a roof over their head. My Great Grandma when she came over here she just carried on as if it were Poland over here. Her Babushka, corn cob pipe, and bare feet. But I do digress. Two separate countries, two separate reasons. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
                /

                Post the reports or provide citations for the reports which you have read.

                Bob sent:

                A good overview on east European immigrants' economic lives is Emily Greene Balch's 1910 book, "Our Slavic Fellow Citizens."

                Bob