Re: Onufer

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 19 4:15 PM

      The Monastery of Saint Onufriy in Poland is an Orthodox monastery. Saint Onufriy is not a saint which Polish Roman Catholics have a great amount of affinity toward. The name Onufer (Polish version) was in old days was used by Poles sometimes, but it is now regarded as an old-fashioned name.

      Onufriy is fairly popular among East Slavic christians (Orthodox and Greek Catholics). Poles did not adopt many Greek names.

      http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaster_%C5%9Bw._Onufrego_w_Jab%C5%82ecznej

      _________

      Lavrentiy

      --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir" <vkresh@...> wrote:

      > Kathy,
      >
      > I agree with Lavrentiy. The name Onufrij is of Greek origin. In Ukrainian culture people have this name too. I think that in Poland people have this name too. For example, I read that in Poland there is a monastery of Saint Onufrij (in Polish language:
      > Monaster św. Onufrego w Jabłecznej).
      >
      > Vladimir
      >
      > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Ax <kitkat99645@> wrote:
      > >
      > > So the name is Slavik in origin? Just wondering because that used for someone from Poland. K

    • Kathy Ax
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 19 5:22 PM
        While looking up manifests the father's name was Onufeij and the son was Onufer and they were Antonishak. Kathy