Re: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] Onufer

  • Kathy Ax
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 18, 2013
      Thank you!

      ________________________________
      From: Laurence <Lkrupnak@...>
      To: GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:41 AM
      Subject: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] Onufer

      /

      The name was created by the Greeks. It is thus not popular among Poles. It is very common among East Slavic christians. Read:

      Rusyns and Ukrainians are East Slavic christians. Rusyns and Ukrainians did/do reside in lands which Poles rule over.
      _________

      Lavrentiy

      --- In mailto:GaliciaPoland-Ukraine%40yahoogroups.com, Kathy Ax <kitkat99645@...> wrote:

      > So the name is Slavik in origin? Just wondering because that used for someone from Poland. K
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Vladimir
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 19, 2013
        Kathy,

        I agree with Lavrentiy. The name Onufrij is of Greek origin. In Ukrainian culture people have this name too. I think that in Poland people have this name too. For example, I read that in Poland there is a monastery of Saint Onufrij (in Polish language:
        Monaster św. Onufrego w Jabłecznej).

        Vladimir

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 19, 2013

          The Monastery of Saint Onufriy in Poland is an Orthodox monastery. Saint Onufriy is not a saint which Polish Roman Catholics have a great amount of affinity toward. The name Onufer (Polish version) was in old days was used by Poles sometimes, but it is now regarded as an old-fashioned name.

          Onufriy is fairly popular among East Slavic christians (Orthodox and Greek Catholics). Poles did not adopt many Greek names.

          http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaster_%C5%9Bw._Onufrego_w_Jab%C5%82ecznej

          _________

          Lavrentiy

          --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir" <vkresh@...> wrote:

          > Kathy,
          >
          > I agree with Lavrentiy. The name Onufrij is of Greek origin. In Ukrainian culture people have this name too. I think that in Poland people have this name too. For example, I read that in Poland there is a monastery of Saint Onufrij (in Polish language:
          > Monaster św. Onufrego w Jabłecznej).
          >
          > Vladimir
          >
          > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Ax <kitkat99645@> wrote:
          > >
          > > So the name is Slavik in origin? Just wondering because that used for someone from Poland. K

        • Kathy Ax
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 19, 2013
            While looking up manifests the father's name was Onufeij and the son was Onufer and they were Antonishak. Kathy