Priests vs. Pastors

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2013

      Why are ministers in Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Greek Catholic
      parishes (churches) called priests and ministers in Protestant parishes
      (churches) called Pastors?

      Discussion is here:

      http://www.patheos.com/blogs/blackwhiteandgray/2012/01/what%E2%80%99s-the-difference-between-a-pastor-and-a-priest/

    • cappydick
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2013
        The main priest of each parish in RC is called a pastor.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013

          On the Yahoo Rusyns group, Mike sent the following:

          From what I remember being taught at church (Greek Catholic) all those years ago was that Catholic clergy when officiating at Mass were reenacting the sacrifice of the Last Supper. The Catholic doctrine of trans-substantiation teaches that the bread and wine are the actual body and blood of Christ. The sacrifice of the Mass is a "real-deal" sacrifice. Traditionally and historically a religious official who performs a sacrifice is a Priest.

          During the Reformation Protestants denied the doctrine of Trans-Substantiation in favor of a doctrine that the Communion Service was a memorial meal. As Jesus said "do this in memory of me." A memorial meal is not a sacrificial rite so a Priest is not needed hence Protestant churches avoid the term.

          Protestants used terms to describe the duties of their church leaders. They were shepherds of their flocks, hence Pastor (from a Latin word for shepherd). They preached sermons, hence Preacher.

          Catholic churches also use the term Pastor. I recall our Priest talking about getting a letter from the Bishop appointing him as Pastor of our Church where up until that time he said his appointment had been as Administrator. Pastor or Administrator he was still a Priest and said Mass. I came away thinking he somehow had more authority as Pastor, or at least his appointment to our church was more permanent.

          Mike

          --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, allens5@... wrote:

          > The main priest of each parish in RC is called a pastor.

        • Gina
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2013
            In my area (NE PA), RC church leaders are also known as Priests and are
            called 'Father'.

            Gina

            Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:33 am (PDT) . Posted by: cappydick
            <allens5@...?subject=Re%3A%20Priests%20vs%2E%20Pastors>

            The main priest of each parish in RC is called a pastor.