Re: Need help finding a death certificate / record in Pennsylvania

  • crossstitch_opal_wolf
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2013
      Two more possibilities and one suggestion........(1.) try if it was indexed by the first name (have seen this) and (2.) a death certificate may not have been done. Just don't think because the certificates were to be done after 1905 that they were done. A distant relative of mine had no record I called and talked to the funeral home in the town she lived. A lot of small town funeral homes in PA are family owned and I talked to the grandson who told me that his grandfather told him when PA started wanting reports it was just "too much paperwork to do" and "most funeral home owners just didn't care". So see if you can find the funeral home which you can do just by calling one. I have never had any issue since most would check their records and if they didn't have what I wanted they would give me the name of another to call. They usually have what would have been on a death certificate and I have also had other information as names of children (many times this was where I have found daughter's married names), addresses of where family members lived, birth places (and in some who I did have death certificates the funeral home record had more - rather than just "Poland" that was on the official state certificate they would have the village - "Why give the state more than they ask" his grandfather would say) One funeral home when I asked for information on a family member he also sent me the information on all the burials he did with the same surname!!!!