Question about Canadian Galicians

  • katd597
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 10:21 PM
      Hi there!

      I don't know if this is an appropriate place to pose this question, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information surrounding Galicia. My great-grandparents moved to Western Canada just before WWI, and my Mom had always told me we were Austrian (like when you are asked your heritage). My aunt, though, told me when I was younger that we were Ukrainian, and my Mom corrected her. I was just wondering if there were a lot of Galicians that identified as Austrians... There are a lot of Ukrainian culture groups in Canada, and they discuss Galician pasts, but there isn't really anything to go off from an Austrian perspective. If anyone has info or an opinion, I'd love to hear it.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2 7:17 AM
        Hello katd597,

        When your ancestors emigrated to Canada, they were citizens of Austria, that is they were Austrian nationals. Galicia was a province of Austria.

        From an ethnicity perspective, they were Rusyn/Ukrainian people.

        The group's Canadian experts will describe how to find Canadian records which will provide where in Galicia they were born.

        --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "katd597" <katmarie1991@...> wrote:

        > Hi there!
        >
        > I don't know if this is an appropriate place to pose this question, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information surrounding Galicia. My great-grandparents moved to Western Canada just before WWI, and my Mom had always told me we were Austrian (like when you are asked your heritage). My aunt, though, told me when I was younger that we were Ukrainian, and my Mom corrected her. I was just wondering if there were a lot of Galicians that identified as Austrians... There are a lot of Ukrainian culture groups in Canada, and they discuss Galician pasts, but there isn't really anything to go off from an Austrian perspective. If anyone has info or an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

      • jim
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2 8:02 AM
          My grandparents also emigrated to western Canada in 1913 from Galicia. In immigration records and Canadian census Ukrainians from Galicia are referred to as either Austrian or Ruthenian, never as Ukrainians. When my grandparents were born, in Ivano-Frankivsk, it was also part of Poland and also part of the Austrian empire. It gets very confusing. My grandfather was required to serve in the Austrian army. Because of centuries of discrimination and oppression Ukrainians, as was the case in our family, sometimes wanted to re-identify themselves so our family became Canadian and lost almost all of their Ukrainian culture. My grandparents were denied education in Ukraine. On the Canadian National registration of 1940 my grandparents gave place of birth as Austria and ethnic origin as Ukrainian. This is one of the very few times I have ever seen Ukrainians identified as such on vital records.
          Jim Sauchyn

          When your ancestors emigrated to Canada, they were citizens of Austria, that is they were Austrian nationals. Galicia was a province of Austria.

          From an ethnicity perspective, they were Rusyn/Ukrainian people.

          The group's Canadian experts will describe how to find Canadian records which will provide where in Galicia they were born.

          --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "katd597" <katmarie1991@...> wrote:

          > Hi there!
          >
          > I don't know if this is an appropriate place to pose this question, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information surrounding Galicia. My great-grandparents moved to Western Canada just before WWI, and my Mom had always told me we were Austrian (like when you are asked your heritage). My aunt, though, told me when I was younger that we were Ukrainian, and my Mom corrected her. I was just wondering if there were a lot of Galicians that identified as Austrians... There are a lot of Ukrainian culture groups in Canada, and they discuss Galician pasts, but there isn't really anything to go off from an Austrian perspective. If anyone has info or an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

          No virus found in this message.

        • Robert Cham
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2 8:15 AM
            My mom always told me that we were Austrian as well. She really
            didn't like being identified as anything but American. It was only
            when I asked her if we were then Onondags, like some of our neighbors
            that she came up with the Austrian tag, which I later learned meant
            the our family had been citizens of the Ausro-Hungarian empire.

            Bob

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2 5:08 PM

              The Onondaga are the keepers of the Wampum:

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9bni4OtdEk

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgM3b4fni9Y

              An old friend of mine was an Onondagan.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2 5:13 PM

                The European colonists encounter the Onondaga Nation:

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBRPsfcHii0

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2 5:25 PM

                  Onondaga Nation dance competition:

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDlf-fMHxF0

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2 6:30 PM

                    Here's what the bullying White Man does with the sovereign Onondaga People and Nation:

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEbvX9hfBGY

                    /