Re: Question re Church Record File Upload

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21 7:05 AM

      I think Lebed' as a family name is found more often among Russian and Ukrainian people compared to Polish people.

      Polish spell it L~ebed.

      Names such as L~ebek, L~ebski and L~ebkowski exist in Poland. The root of the surname is l~eb, which means head.

      Examples of Russians and Ukrainians with surname Lebed':

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mykola_Lebed

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBW_Nshq8U

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqYBIMnBb5o

      /

      --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Roman <romankal@...> wrote:

      > On 7/18/2013 8:57 PM, Justin wrote:
      > >

      > > The first record is for Catharina, a child of my 3rd great-grandfather,
      > > Teodor Hrynio, and his second wife, Pelagia Maksym, who was baptized in
      > > 1874. I knew most of this data already but didn't know the names of her
      > > parents.
      > >
      > > They look like Andro Maksym and Maria Tkacz, agricola, religion Greek
      > > Catholic. Can anyone help confirm this for me? "Tkacz" seems to be
      > > missing a letter, but I know that my great-great-grandmother was a Tkacz
      > > (she is mentioned in the next record) and it looks the same. What do you
      > > all think???? Also, does the name of the godmother look to you like Anna
      > > (something) of Teodor Hrynio??? I can't figure out whether it is wife
      > > (uxor) or daughter (filia?) abbreviated. Teodor Hrynio was the father of
      > > this baby; his father Teodor was long dead, and his wife survived him
      > > only 2 years; so if this is wife of Teodor I am lost. But if it is
      > > daughter of Teodor it could be a maiden sister of the father of the
      > > child, I suppose. Hope you all are following me.
      > >

      > The entry for the mother, in properly declined Latin, is 'Pelagia filia
      > Andreae Maxym et Maria Tkacz agrcl r.g.c.'
      >
      > I don't think the 'c' is missing. Since 'cz' is one letter, it is often
      > shortened in script. However, based on seeing the second record, that
      > 'c' might well have gone missing.
      >
      > The godparents appear to be 'Stefanus Kozło et Anna uxor Theodori
      > Hrynio'. At least proper declention requires that the name Theodorus be
      > specified in the genitive case, namely, Theodori.
      >

      > > The second record, right under the first, is for Anna, a child of my
      > > great-great-grandparents, Dmytro Hrynio and Anastasia Tkacz, also
      > > baptized in 1874. (How interesting that both father and son were still
      > > siring children at the same time.) With this one, I'm really interested
      > > in the names of the maternal grandparents, because they are my hitherto
      > > unknown 3rd great-grandparents. I read Joannes Tkacz and Catharina
      > > łebed. But I'm not sure about łebed. Could it be Zebed? I'm leaning
      > > toward łebed because I know that łabędź is "swan" in Polish, that лебідь
      > > is "swan" in Ukrainian, and that лебедь is "swan" in Russian. (That
      > > would be a pretty name for my ancestor to have.) But I'm not sure as I
      > > can't find this name on the 1787 list of Lemkos in the area on the
      > > Carpatho-Russian site. So I'm very interested to hear what you all think
      > > about this maiden name.
      > >

      > The entry for the mother appears to be 'Anastasia filia Joannes Tkacz et
      > Catharina Łebed, agr r.g.c.'. I am quite sure that the letter is 'Ł',
      > not 'Z'. The 2001 version of Rymut surname list shows 4 such individuals
      > living in Gdynia (2 females) and Sopot (2 males). I do not think the
      > derivation is from Łabędź but it could be from the Ukrainian or Russian
      > forms.
      >
      > > Justin

    • Justin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26 4:09 AM
        Thanks so much for all of this info. I look forward to learning more information about this family.

> [...]
        > > > łebed. But I'm not sure about łebed. Could it be Zebed? I'm leaning
        > > > toward łebed because I know that łabędź is "swan" in Polish, that лебідь
        > > > is "swan" in Ukrainian, and that лебедь is "swan" in Russian. (That
        > > > would be a pretty name for my ancestor to have.) But I'm not sure as I
        > > > can't find this name on the 1787 list of Lemkos in the area on the
        > > > Carpatho-Russian site. So I'm very interested to hear what you all think
        > > > about this maiden name.
        > > >

        > > The entry for the mother appears to be 'Anastasia filia Joannes Tkacz et
        > > Catharina Łebed, agr r.g.c.'. I am quite sure that the letter is 'Ł',
        > > not 'Z'. The 2001 version of Rymut surname list shows 4 such individuals
        > > living in Gdynia (2 females) and Sopot (2 males). I do not think the
        > > derivation is from Łabędź but it could be from the Ukrainian or Russian

      • almrauscher1
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26 9:49 AM
          I have Ukrainian friends last name Lebed
> [...]

          > > > Å,ebed. But I'm not sure about Å,ebed. Could it be Zebed? I'm leaning
          > > > toward Å,ebed because I know that Å,abÄTdź is "swan" in Polish, that лебÑ-дÑO
          > > > is "swan" in Ukrainian, and that лебедÑO is "swan" in Russian. (That
          > > > would be a pretty name for my ancestor to have.) But I'm not sure as I
          > > > can't find this name on the 1787 list of Lemkos in the area on the
          > > > Carpatho-Russian site. So I'm very interested to hear what you all think
          > > > about this maiden name.
          > > >

          > > The entry for the mother appears to be 'Anastasia filia Joannes Tkacz et
          > > Catharina Łebed, agr r.g.c.'. I am quite sure that the letter is 'Ł',
          > > not 'Z'. The 2001 version of Rymut surname list shows 4 such individuals
          > > living in Gdynia (2 females) and Sopot (2 males). I do not think the
          > > derivation is from ŁabÄTdź but it could be from the Ukrainian or Russian

        • Justin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27 6:46 AM
            Can you put me in touch with them (or them with me)?