Re: Civil Records in Eastern Galicia

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19, 2013

      This is interesting - civil registration of marriages and conversions in Lemberg (L'viv):

      Civil registration, 1869-1932
      Authors Lemberg (Lemberg Umgebung). City Council

      Notes Microreproduction of manuscripts at the Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine in L′viv.
      Civil registration (marriages, conversions) for Lemberg (Lemberg Umgebung), Galizien, Austria; later Lwów (Lwów), Lwów, Poland; now L′viv, L′viv, L′viv, Ukraine. Conversions include birth dates and represent conversions to and from various religions. All records were kept by the City Council. Text in Latin and Polish.
      Record group 201, series 4A, file 6863 -- Record group 618, series 2, files 2277-2279, 2510A.

      Subjects Austria, Galizien, Lemberg (Lemberg Umgebung) - Civil registration
      Poland, Lwów, Lwów (Lwów) - Civil registration
      Україна, Львів, Львів, Львів - Акти громадянського стану
      Ukraine, L′viv, L′viv, L′viv - Civil registration

      Format Manuscript (On Film)
      Language Latin
      Polish
      Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 2003-2005
      Physical on 4 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.

      https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=1552279&disp=Civil+registration &columns=*,0,0

      __________

      The above must have been a special requiment by the Lemberg city council. Civil registration of vital records (births and deaths) didn't occur until Second Republic of Poland in the Kresy provinces.

      > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "genmary2004" <mpate@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Before there were civil records in an area, all births, marriages, deaths, et al, were recorded by the churches. When/what year did civil records begin in Eastern Galicia, mainly Ternopil area?
      >

      > During the Second Republic of Poland (that is after WWI).
      >

      > > I'm trying to find my gr-gr-grandmother's birth place and actual birth date. With that, maybe I could get father back in that line of my ancestry. I could not find any info in any of the parishes in area she lived. From the parish Status Animarum showing family info of her and my gr-gr-grandfather, I found her birth year and the name of her parents. Her family must have moved into the area in mid-1800's. So,if there were civil records, my next question would be, where would they be. She lived in Hlibow near Grzymalow (Skalat).

    • genmary2004
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 19, 2013

        > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "genmary2004" <mpate@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Before there were civil records in an area, all births, marriages, deaths, et al, were recorded by the churches. When/what year did civil records begin in Eastern Galicia, mainly Ternopil area?
        >

        > During the Second Republic of Poland (that is after WWI).
        >
        > So, birth of my gr-gr-grandmother, Julianna (Helen) Rygiel, about 1849 would only be found in church records. Several years ago, my cousin (now deceased) received his mother's birth/baptismal record (born 1898) by writing to Archives or somewhere in Warsaw. My aunt was born in the area Julianna raised her children and died--Hlibow (Grzymalow-Skalat). Does anyone know about getting records that way?
        Mary

        > > I'm trying to find my gr-gr-grandmother's birth place and actual birth date. With that, maybe I could get father back in that line of my ancestry. I could not find any info in any of the parishes in area she lived. From the parish Status Animarum showing family info of her and my gr-gr-grandfather, I found her birth year and the name of her parents. Her family must have moved into the area in mid-1800's. So,if there were civil records, my next question would be, where would they be. She lived in Hlibow near Grzymalow (Skalat).

      • Bielawa, Matthew (Registrar)
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 19, 2013
          I’d be interested in seeing those records.

          My own guess….and it’s just a guess….is that the official term “civil registration” did not apply to the full range of years 1869 through 1932, but only the later years, as Laurence pointed out.

          Also, I find it hard to believe that if they really are civil registration records for the city council in the late 1800’s, they would NOT be in Latin!?!?! Even though the church used Latin in the records, I find it hard to believe that the city council kept records in Latin as late as 1869…..!

          Also, there are two record groups listed. Group 201 is the Greek Catholic consistory while group 618 is a collection of the Roman Catholic consistory.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 19, 2013
            Mary,

            After WWII, records of Jewish communities and Roman Catholic parishes which were no longer in Poland but were within the Soviet Union were given to Poland's Urzad Stanu Cywilnego, Warszawa Sródmiescie.

            http://www.rtrfoundation.org/webart/Pol-Chap4.pdf

            http://www.halgal.com/zabuzanski.html

            That is where your couisin obtained records. Urzad Stanu Cywilnego, Warszawa Sródmiescie had parish books, not civil registration documents, even though the Urzad Stanu Cywilnego, Warszawa Sródmiescie is a civil registration office.

            _________

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2013
              Google translation of:

              ARCHIWUM ZABU¯AÑSKIE

              ROLA I ZADANIA W OGÓLNOPOLSKIM SYSTEMIE ARCHIWÓW URZÊDÓW STANU CYWILNEGO

              http://ziemlak.republika.pl/arc_zab.html

              ARCHIVE Bug River

              ROLE AND TASKS nationwide ARCHIVE SYSTEM OF CIVIL AUTHORITIES

              INTRODUCTION

              Archive Bug River is one of the most famous national archives. Currently part of the capital's Office. Name given to this archive is controversial and imprecise. In fact suggests that the sets come from areas of the lands adjacent to the Bug. But Podwoloczyska, Horodenka, Blackbirds, Translator or Kolomyia shared hundreds of kilometers from the Bug ...

              As the start date of its creation should be the year 1949. As a result of the signing of the intergovernmental agreement with the Ukrainian Soviet Republic on the transfer of cultural goods of the areas that as a result of findings of the state border between the Polish and the Soviet Union in August 1945 were abroad for Polish-old hit some components of national output, which in time of war have not been destroyed or dispersed. The treasures were also included in the record book of civil status documents, which were prepared under religious registration (in the parish offices), as well as books covering the registration of civil status acts of the Jewish faith. In fact, some of the books passed the Lviv Roman Catholic parishes, and most of the books of the Israelite offices of vital records from Lviv, Ternopil and Stanislaviv and villages lie in the provinces, the cities were the main centers. Unfortunately, for political reasons, then state authorities have not signed the relevant agreements with the governments of Lithuania and Byelorussian SSR. As a result, the record book status of the areas of the north-eastern Polish, who after the war were beyond our borders, were not returned. It was the first of "tracks" that flowed collections after the war.

              The second theme was the opportunity to transfer in 1945-1956 multimillion masses were forced to leave the Borderlands. Their new place of settlement have become areas of Lower Silesia, the former East Prussia and Pomerania, Gdansk and Szczecin. In the opposite direction were displaced, including in connection with so-called. "Wis³a" Greek-Catholic religious groups of the population (Uniate), the vast majority of Ukrainian nationality. Despite the clear prohibition of the Soviet authorities, parish priests or their representatives, often smuggled endangered the lives of books, paintings, precious liturgical vessels and other objects of worship, protecting them from certain destruction, looting or desecration. Much of happily arrived Polish. In some newly erected parishes so. recovered territories, conducted the current registration status of the old books still until 1948! Similarly treated the Uniate clergy or the Orthodox clergy. Once you and the faithful were leaving Poland, were forced to take the books and objects related to religious practices.

              By order of the Ministry of Public Administration of 08.11.1949 (OJ MAP of 1949. No. 38, poz.268), at the beginning of the 50s the process of transfer to the borderland of ecclesiastical books formed beyond the Bug River at Warsaw Archives Registry Office.

              The transfer took about three years, and in fact - thanks to bureaucratic inertia machine and silent resistance of the clergy - in fact it was never completed. Church administration feared that these books are simply destroyed. To this day, receives signals that some of the parishes in the Opole region and Galicia store registry books of the Borderlands. I recently found out that some of the parishes of the book b.woj.wo³yñskiego preserved in archival Catholic University of Lublin.

              Archives also has a collection of books kept in the parishes of the Evangelical-augsburgskich. These are books of the Protestant parish of the Lutheran tradition. Rite Calvinist books represent the Reformed Evangelical Church, as well as separate churches: Baptist and Mennonite denominations and smaller Protestant (Evangelical Christians). These books - outside Lviv and Stanis³awów - belonged to the parish lying areas of Volyn.

              Apart from Cieszyn Silesia, some counties in Wielkopolska and Pomerania, in the provinces of Volyn and Lviv lived before the war, most people of German nationality. The arrival on the land of their ancestors was a necessity due to leave their homeland because of religious persecution in the seventeenth century (eg Mennonites from the Netherlands and Germany) as well as in search of better living conditions (poverty and hunger after long wars of religion in the German principalities).

              Habent sua fata Vial (Latin for the books have their fate). Kind of a side effect of the Ribbentrop-Molotov became a displacement in the middle of 1940 years of German Protestants of the Polish part of Volyn in the area of ​​Wielkopolska, which the Nazis appropriated and treated as part of the Third Reich (Warthegau or Wartheland). In this situation, the book's Protestant parishes were in Poznan, under the management of the district Landessippenstelle (branch Sippenamt für Ostdeutsche Rückwanderer - an organization for German repatriates from the East), the Nazi administration, which cooperated with the police, political and very cared include of "racial purity" of citizens.

              The distal portion of this paper will be devoted to a detailed discussion of the characteristics of the individual elements of the set archive beyond the Bug River.

              - Book of his Confessions -

              CHRISTIAN

              1 Roman Catholic parishes

              A characteristic feature of most of the books kept by the Catholic clergy to use for the purpose of registration of the Latin language. Besides, all published documents submitted in that language. The exception is the book held by the parishes in Volhynia, which at the time of partition lay in the Congress, which is the area under Russian rule. By 1918, the registration was conducted in Russian. Then the natural course of language has been replaced by Polish invaders.

              A typical page book contains 5 to 15 acts. Sometimes the savings inscribed more acts, but always to the detriment of the clarity and transparency of entries.

              Acts were drafted handwriting. In the case of nineteenth-century accounts of the birth and baptism registers inscribed the following:

              · Year of Birth

              · Day and month of birth

              · The day and month of baptism

              · Name or names

              · Data father of the child:

              name

              occupation or status

              the name of his father

              name and his mother's maiden name

              · Data mother of the child:

              name and surname

              the name of the father

              name and family name of her mother

              · Data godparents:

              name

              occupation or status

              · Personal data women receiving birth or doctor if birth occurred in a hospital

              · Priest providing personal details of baptism.

              Just before the ceremony of baptism, prepared a draft act. Data on behalf of (or names - did not apply quantitative restrictions!) Personal details of the child and the parents were usually given by godparents. The less-known family of the child, the greater the likelihood of confusion or even give false information.

              The content of the marriage, in addition to basic personal information m³odo¿eñców were placed information on the parish, which issued to the parties copies of birth certificates. When a woman comprising the compound was a minor (not completed 21 years of age), consent to the marriage have to give her father. His statement was placed on the bottom of the form of the act. The books of marriages survive a few minutes of research przedœlubnych which drew up the pastors, the parties have decided to conclude a relationship. There were documents showing the state has no formal obstacles to marriage. The conclusion therefore was preceded by a public announcement of a three-marry, or announcements.

              In addition to the acts of death of the deceased, reported data were widowed spouse or spouses, and occasionally the names of orphaned children. Consequently, inscribed to the content of the cause of death. The basis of preparation of the act by the priest in a notification of death issued by the hospital, or a licensed physician. In small towns or villages, a formal document was drawn up by the so-called protocol. looker corpses.

              Book of Catholic parishes were generally conducted in a thorough and even freehand manner of recording no problems in interpreting the entries. But to every rule there must be exceptions.

              There are books whose contents are entries for "untrained eye" simply impossible to read. Documents drawn up in one of the Volyn parish in addition to the Russian language (Torczyn in the area. Równeñskim), you can safely call scribbles. This condition can be explained by the entries that achieved their organist. In addition, registration of parishes led several copies of the books. Book "first" (unique) and "Second" contain entries made calligraphy. Were for presentation during the visit of bishops or dekanalnych. Book "parties" have already been treated differently. On the basis of copies were issued and, therefore, on the margins of the acts can be performed on different types of records. In large parishes also carried the book "fourth", which was treated as drafts.

              It is generally believed that the available resources vital records in the archive are copies of books pierwopisowych (rarities), and "of Second". The exception is the book of the parish of Lviv. These are the varieties of books "third" and maybe even "fourth". Evidenced by the nature of the statement, which was made instruments (for example, difficult to read in the parish of St. Mary Magdalene and St. Anthony). Some entries other parishes, such as Our Lady of the Snows in the 30s has already been done by typewriter. Lviv City Archive has a complete collection of all the parishes of vital records, including personal indexes. These are the actual book unique. The Ukrainian side passing to the Polish book, kept for himself the "better". The explanation can only be that the book has given us the cartridge dust jackets showing that the disposal of collections was the NKVD ...

              It should also pay attention to the most common names given to children. Traditionally, these were the names of popular saints, the faithful bestowed a special honor: Stanislaw, Antoni, Tadeusz, Joseph Casimir, John, Michael, Wladyslaw, Waclaw, Peter, Paul, Stephen, Marian and Bronislaw. For girls, respectively Maria Teresa, Anna, Margaret, Christine, Catherine, Jadwiga, Agnes, Sophia and Janina. In families formed from compounds (marriage) mixed customary names were given to children who come from religious rites parents. Because most marriages in the Borderlands of the Ukrainian population, the cultural currency became popular names transferred from the Russo-Byzantine tradition: Vladimir, Nicholas, Jaroslaw, Gregory, George, Theodore, Alexius, Basil and Olga, Barbara, Tatiana (or Tatian) Irene, Helen, Sophia and Eudoxia, which will be discussed further. For example, if the father was UNITA, the sons were named for the typical rite, and a Catholic mother-daughters gave Latin names. On a side note, it is worth to raise the issue of the interpretation of these names. A number of them - male and female - have two or three forms in Polish. All of these forms are full of "my life" and became a staple of tradition and cultural circulation. Examples are:

              · Ignatius -Ignacy/¯egota,

              · Hyacinthus -Hiacynt/Jacenty/Jacek,

              · Stephanus -Stefan/Szczepan

              · Adalbertus -Adalbert/Wojciech

              · Felix -Feliks/Szczêsny

              · Joanna -Joanna/Janina

              Sometimes, there are doubts about the diminutive form of the name is erroneously associated with a specific sound, such as Greek and Latin Eugenia Genevieve have the same form of the diminutive - Gienia. That diminutive Gienia is commonly associated only with Eugenia, and it often happens that a woman who receives a copy of the birth certificate is unpleasantly surprised when the appropriate entry box appears on a completely different name - Genevieve.

              2 The Augsburg Evangelical Parish

              Book of the parish were at the beginning of the 40th in Poznan after centering the Protestant population in the Wielkopolska region, which was transferred here from Volyn. Acts were drafted in German (older vintages), and later in Polish. Some parishes, situated in the Russian zone (Rozhysche in pow.równeñskim, Vladimir, Luck or Neudorf pow.brzeskim since 1935 in honor of the President of the Second Republic was changed to Moscice), still led until 1919 entries in Cyrillic.

              In addition to the generic books that contain records of births, marriages and deaths, even books are stored confirmation. The rite of confirmation was for Christians-evangelicals of great importance. Konfirmanci (young people aged 14-18 years) from now on they became full members of the church community. The ceremony was preceded by a study of the catechism, examination and public profession of faith.

              The entries in the books are characterized by great attention, were written very clear, calligraphic lettering Latin. Only in the case of Lviv Evangelical community are kept in the archives of the book Second.

              In this collection there are also unusual book. These include the documents held by the Protestant churches of other rites, doctrinally different from Lutheran:

              · Baptist church:

              Parishes in:

              - Ko³owercie in pow.równeñskim,

              - Ro¿yszczach in the area. Lutsk,

              · Church evangelical Christians:

              parish in Miroslawiec in pow.³uckim,

              · Mennonite congregation areas (woj.lwowskiego)

              Parishes in:

              - Ehrenfeldzie in pow.¿ó³kiewskim,

              - Horo¿annie in pow.rudeckim,

              - Neuhofie in pow.gródeckim,

              - Kiernicy in pow.rawskim.

              Quite interesting is the case of Kiernicy Mennonite books. A few years ago, thanks to research undertaken in this book documents, archives staff have established a very interesting contact with the community menonick¹, currently residing in the U.S. city of Butterfield, Minnesota. Its members provide their local newspaper "Along the Galician Grapewine" that regularly send their. Most of them or their ancestors originate from Kiernicy they left before the First World War. In turn, the reach even deeper, it turns out that their ancestors arrived in the seventeenth century to the areas of Galicia and German-speaking cantons of Switzerland, the western Tyrol. Apparently preserved a good memory of that time, if these people want to continue to maintain contacts and share news from your community.

              In the collection of books of the Bug River by chance there were also books of the parish, which were located outside the Polish (within until 1939):

              · Lithuanian - parishes in Wilkowyszkach (Wy³kowyszkach) Mariampol and Calvary,

              · From Latvia - Ventspils parish (now Ventspils).

              Among these books were in Poznan during the war also keep the Roman Catholic parish in Machliñcu in woj.lwowskim. Entries content suggests that this place was inhabited mostly by German settlers. Bringing the population in 1940 was that everything German is not worth leaving the East, and therefore also qualified to carry these books into the Reich. On the other hand, who knows, maybe if they had been left in place, usz³yby unscathed from the turmoil of war ...

              In the Protestant churches were usually given to children with typical German names, but the entries in the books of Lviv and also contain Stanislaus Catholic or Slavic names, which may indicate the existence of a trend of assimilation.

              3 Orthodox parish

              Book this branch of Christianity involved in the Archives Zabu¿añskim little space. Relate primarily to the parish from the provinces Polesie and Lviv, Ternopil and Volyn. Locations parish of Polesia today are close to the Polish border on the Belarusian side. Before the war belonged to the Diocese of Warsaw-Chelm.

              By the end of the 20s acts in the ledgers were prepared in parallel in Cyrillic and Polish. Then the already created documents only in Polish (Warsaw parish books contain Cyrillic entries for September 1915 year, before the date of the acts recorded in the Julian and Gregorian calendar and the names of the following - first - Russian, Polish and then - in brackets). "Bilingualism" records meant that next to the names associated with the traditions of the Christian East, were their Latin equivalents: Faddi = Tadeusz, Foma (s) = Thomas, Matvei = Maciej, Wassilij = Basil, Zinovy ​​= Zenobiusz, Miefodij = methods, Kiril = Cyril , Illarion = Hilary Ipatij = Hipacy, Tierientij = Terence, Ioann = Jan, Stepan = Stefan / Stephen, Eugene = Eugene, Jewstachij = Eustace / Eustachiusz, Dorofij = Dorotheus, Fedor = Theodore, Grigory = Gregory, K³awdia = Claudia, Paraskowija = Paraskeva, Varvara = Barbara, Irina = Irena, Sofia = Sophia. Staroruska tradition of children's names added to the names of their fathers, in the form of an adjective. Adding these names called otczestwem practiced in Russia, Belarus, Bulgaria and Serbia today. Closely associated with the traditions and the influence of the Orthodox Church in these areas. A separate phenomenon was the emergence in the late seventeenth and eighteenth century, names that were created from male names "by the way" otczestwa eg Fedotov / s, Mikulin / s, Ilyushin / s, Yakovlev / s, Ipatjev / s. Orthodoxy, especially in the Eastern Borderlands, also introduced to the culture of national names typical of their tradition and a calendar associated with the cult of the saints: Yuri / Georgy = George, Vladimir / Volodymyr = Vladimir, Nikolai = Santa, Vera = Faith / Vera, Nadezhda = Hope, Lyubov = Love. In turn, Tamara, Dmitri, Boris, Natalia, Nina, Oleg, Tatiana (= Tatian) are the names that entered the cultural bloodstream nationwide, while maintaining its original form.

              Only a few books of the Orthodox parish of Borderlands (most of the parishes in central Poland) since 1949 went to Warsaw. These books were at that time practically out of circulation. It was not until the mid-60s USC-Downtown Warsaw started action transfer books of competent jurisdiction of the civil authorities in the country. Book 12 parishes, 11 of which were after the war abroad, is now in the archive. A collection of books from the areas of pre-war Warsaw-diocese of Chelm transferred to the then Department of Internal Affairs Regional Office in Bialystok, who in turn sent it to the registry offices in the villages, which are major clusters of Orthodox believers: in Nurcu-Station, Mielnik, Czeremcha and Dubicze Cerkiewne. The same book of the parish of the Polish city went to the competent authorities of marital status.

              4 PARISHES Greek Catholic (Uniate)

              Book of the Uniate parish in the archives were stored Zabu¿añskim to early 80s Due to little interest in these documents, it was decided that the whole of this resource will be taken over by the State Central Archives of Historical Records in Warsaw. Currently in the collection of the Bug River, there are several vintage books with two parishes (Krasne and Nowosió³ka in pow.ska³ackim woj.tarnopolskiego) that the case has been included in the books of Roman Catholic parishes.

              BOOKS non-Christian denominations

              Israeli OFFICES metrical

              The other side of Catholic quantitatively significant part of the archive are beyond the Bug River Land Registration Judaism. They come from the south-eastern borderlands of the areas of the former provinces of Lviv, Ternopil and Stanyslaviv. This book is strictly marital status in the modern sense of the law.

              Were made by authorized officials in the recording mode secular achieved following registration. Generally acts were drawn up in Polish, although some older entries were made even in German.

              The Jewish tradition of naming was different from the conditions of the Christian (no cult of saints). Names associated with strong attachment to the principles of the Jews to their religion and culture. For men - refer to the qualities of the one God Yahweh: If (ho) = Joshua Shua (it bore the name of Jesus Christ) = God saves, Mik (h) ael = Michael = Who (is that) as God. Besides, the names of many later Christian tradition originated in the Old Testament: Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth, Simon, Cleopas and Jacob, Bartholomew, Martha, Anna / Hanna, John, Joachim, Adam, Eve, Matthew and Daniel. However, in the books of Lviv and Stanislaus can often find the records showing that children, especially intellectuals - more susceptible to assimilation, were broadcasted typically Christian names.

              A characteristic feature of the entries in the books of births is a very large number of so-called registration. illegitimate children (in the Concise Statistical Yearbook for 1936 years given that the total number of registration of children born out of wedlock up 15.8% of the Jewish children). Since the civil law does not recognized the state registration of religious mozaizmu that led the rabbinical authorities, parents of dependent children without "civil marriage" should not be treated as marriage. Sometimes, in the section on data the child's mother reported that the "alleged" or "ritual" wife. So very often the children were considered to be "legal" after the civil wedding of their parents, who could be included even many years after their birth. This legal solution existed in the Russian occupied territories and Austro-Hungarian. In the interwar period the Polish legislation has made no changes in this respect.

              As always, the children were given names after 7 days from the date of birth. The offices of rabbinical parents showed new-born children, and appointed by the religious community men have made circumcision of boys. Written testimony of a rabbi or someone with municipal elders who participated in the ritual (eg sandeka or szkolnika - learner = yeshiva religious school) was a formal document issued for the registration of births in the civilian book. The books of marriage, as opposed to Christian books, determined status as parties contracting marriage: free / free. This could mean: Widow / Widower or divorced / divorced. Mosaic law allows for dissolution of marriage by divorce.

              Should be pointed out that the current law on civil status in some embodiments refers to the rules governing the registration of pre-war status for non-Christian faiths.

              The role and significance beyond the Bug River ARCHIVE

              Archive Bug River is the nature of archives closed for two reasons. First of all, because the sets are not available for inspection. In addition, there has been a cyclical passage of the books from the collection, and no new ones have not come. Registry offices are required to keep the books for a period of 100 years from the date of their establishment. In our case, "mature" elements of the set takes Warsaw Central Archives of Historical Records.

              A total collection numbers about 250 meters long and consists of nearly 2,000 volumes. The support materials include file directory created for the approximately 2.5 million acts (birth and marriage). This gives the aggregated data base of about 4.5 million records. If the extended filing of death certificates and adopt it for all currently held by elements of the set (acts on the books before 1900), would give a total of about 8 million records.

              Resources vital records archive beyond the Bug River, which reached the country of the Soviet Union, were in extremely poor condition. Judging by the tracks of dead mold and mildew on the cards, in the absence of wrappers most accounts, it is not difficult to figure out the circumstances in which they were housed. At the end of the 50s a large majority of inputs were provided in the wrapper library. As a result of combining different vintage books, which stemmed from ill-conceived savings, bookbinders inclusion of sets of smaller parishes into larger elements of the set. One volume consists in this case of acts 2 to 5 parishes. Quality bookbinding made after the acquisition of the books can be considered good, although there are also cases brakoróbstwa and thoughtlessness. Only kept for a period of war in Poznan Lutheran parish books of Volyn, arrived in Warsaw after the war, in almost perfect condition.

              The current state of the collection is satisfactory. However, some of the books, which fills sadly no longer with the system operational irreversibly damaged. The reason for this was the lack of proper supervision. The whole collection but has not undergone maintenance microbial. But only due to the fact that the books are stored in dry and ensure the proper climate, avoiding the factors that contribute to the development of processes or fungal decay. With the ongoing maintenance retains high resistance to microbial growth and other harmful factors.

              Archive cultural significance beyond the Bug River is huge. It is in fact a collection of priceless and unique in Europe, closely linked to the national culture and the background of the culture of our borderlands. It manifests itself in the traditional penchant for compliance with established law (formally not expected penalties for child baptism - baptism was an act of faith in the sanctity of the parents of the sacraments and the fulfillment of obligations to the Church understood as an institution and as a worldwide community), and shows a strong commitment to multigenerational tradition.

              Numerous preserved old vintage books have a housing made of several layers of thick cardboard glued, faced further decorated canvas or paper. Horns wrappers have metal fittings to protect books from mechanical damage, which was important in the event of a fall (some volumes due to the contents of more than 2000 thousand acts often stored on a thick, large-format paper kredowanym have the weight of 10 to 15kg). In most of the books are preserved leather spines, some of them have a complete setting for the skin. Embossed letters and ornaments were sometimes filled with gold paint. Besides, banks have coloring cards, which - when the book is closed - form the original, rainbow patterns. Pages entries in most books are laced and to authenticate the content of posts at the end of the books bearing the seals of polyps. On the pages of books of Roman Catholic parishes were reported visits of bishops and deans.

              Book of the Orthodox also have endorsements of church dignitaries visits. So they left their imprints its official seal. Each parish had its official seal, which affix the pages of various vintages ending. The last pages of the books Israelite offices are protocols to close the book, bearing the wax seal of the county (supervisor). Some of these stamps are preserved in very good condition and can provide a very refined taste and artistic abilities making them artisans.

              Borderlands Books documenting the tragic history of our nation during the two world wars. The books of the parish deaths, particularly from the region Stanyslaviv for years 1915-1918, are acts of a purely Russian soldiers Polish names and addresses (Ludwikówce parish records in pow.ko³omyjskim led war graves), who died during the war. The entries deaths Austro-Hungarian soldiers give knowledge about ethnic composition of the army - except the Poles and Austrians are also figures of the dead Hungarians, Croats, Czechs, Slovaks (eg, in the books of the parish in Czortków Ternopil data were entered in the local sick-bays of the dead). It would be very interesting to get to the families of the dead in order to determine whether they are aware of the place where the documents certifying the death of their loved ones ...

              The last war, in addition to the many victims among the soldiers of the warring parties, also brought unimaginable number of dead is not taking direct part in battles against the civilian population. As military operations, so the war carried by hunger, poverty and epidemics caused a large number of victims. An example of the tragic fate of our nation can illustrate the situation in Volyn, where - especially in the years 1942-1944 - the civilian population as a result of ethnic cleansing suffered huge losses on the part of the Ukrainian nationalists. Fortunately kept books of the parish in Rymaczach wear on their cards traces of fire. In addition, the parish books of deaths in Kovel, Lubomlu, Krzemieniec, Rivne, Zofiowka, Jagodzinie, Zaturcach or Stawki contain long "litany" the names of the victims. In the section specifying the cause of death usually appears oscissus entry per Ruthenorum. In 1995, it became clear that the books of some of the parish of Volyn, which hitherto were considered to be lost during the war, has archived the Catholic University of Lublin.

              Is a chapter of the entries in the books of the Israelite. During the "first occupation" of the Soviet period from October 1939 until June 1941, most of the acts were done in the Ukrainian language. The Nazi occupation, in turn, introduced to the German authorities. Despite the horror of life in the ghettos that the Nazis created even in small towns, as well as awareness camps (Lvov ghetto population, made up of residents of the city and the surrounding area has been primarily designed for deportation to Majdanek, Treblinka and Sobibor), and " pits of death "to the end - in some places almost to August 1942 - the people who were aware of the inevitability of their fate, they tried to lead a normal life. Preserved entries recording the birth of children and concluded the marriage ...

              Book Archive beyond the Bug River are a specific type and class of the monument, providing a high level of material culture of our borderlands.

              Its international scope and importance is confirmed by numerous contacts with foreigners: the people seeking their Polish roots, with the Polish community, spread all around the world, as well as with the Jewish mainly from the U.S., Western Europe and Israel. It is hoped that in the near future will be the subject of comprehensive research and eventually will cover computerization, which will facilitate the work of the archive will facilitate greater access to data, as well as protect this valuable collection against marginalization and fragmentation.

              PRACTICAL INFORMATION

              Archive Bug River is not engaged in genealogical research. The provisions of the Act of September 29, Law 1986 years of civil status (Journal of Laws No. 36, poz.180 as amended) does not provide for such activities. But apart from the legal aspect, it is clear that this is a very tedious job, quite impossible for two-person team, which includes the current service obligations visitors, arranging mass of incoming correspondence, and national and international attention to the proper storage and safety elements of the set.

              Persons requesting in writing, as well as coming to USC in person to receive copies of acts, should give the most accurate data (similar to the entries in the identity cards). Women should be given the family name. If you have an uncertain data, employees are able to view the 2 to 4 year-books of the smaller parishes.

              However, Lviv casus may be an example of a situation where, despite best efforts, employees archives are helpless. In Lviv operated only 20 Latin-rite parish offices. When the person seeking the documents do not have specific information and personal data can not be found in the resource files, the only way for visitors is to establish a correspondence with the city archives Zags in Lviv. Also the Israelites in Lviv books often contain different vintages after 2000 legislation, so the search for documents in several books, to fragmented and less precise data, it is simply unrealistic.

              The resource books are issued in the form of copies of the summary or complete and certificates for which stamp duty is charged. If required, copies are placed in the names of godparents or witnesses to the wedding.

              Grzegorz Mucha