Skip to search.

Re: Operation Vistula

  • Ralph Harris
    Message 1 of 48 , May 31, 2013
      Hello,
      I recently read the book "Scattered" which tells the story of the forced relocation of Poland's Ukrainians after World War II. This a very good book to read if you had family that were part of the relocation. I am looking for other books that describe these times. My family was Polish and were forced to move east into Poland from what is now Western Ukraine. Does anyone have any suggestions?
      Ralph Harris
      Message 48 of 48 , Jun 4, 2013
        /

        A deportee was not allowed to change his place of residence without permission. All who tried to return to their native lands were imprisoned. In certain villages (Bytiv, for one) it was forbidden to go to the neighbouring village and to work in the forest without a special pass. Usually, Ukrainians were designated to live in formerly German-owned, half-destroyed houses. Some got farms while others were assigned to state-owned agricultural operations. The first deportees had time to sow grain and plant potatoes. Those who arrived at the end of May were too late for this. These people came face to face with famine. The following was written about the situation of Ukrainians in Szczecin and Gdansk regions and his deputy of the II Army Battalion in Bydgoszcz:"The relocated population finds itself in very difficult material circumstances. All houses require renovations...In Gdansk region, where first transports arrived after June 15, nothing is sown or planed..Generally, the situation is very bad and worse are the prospects¬Ą¬£there is a lack of funds to rebuild hoses, voucher provisions are insufficient ,the regional budget, despite the influx of this new population, was not increased...".

        http://www.lemko-ool.com/akcja_wisla.html