Re: Dmitry Bortniansky

    Message 1 of 8 , May 25, 2013
      One of Bortniansky's liturgical compositions:

      The Cherubic Hymn:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHtfYkL71dI

      __________

      Message 2 of 8 , May 27, 2013
        Now this leads to a more practical question for our own research:

        How common was it for people who felt so strongly about retaining the Orthodox faith to leave the area and go east? My readings on the subject seem to suggest that most people were entirely unaware of the change, and, to the extent that they knew about the union, believed that they were "Orthodox in union with Rome." I have read in the book, "The Western Front of the Eastern Church," that until the Synod of Zamosc in 1720, most of the parishes were still using Orthodox liturgical resources which were being corrected by hand, and directions were given to emphasize the name of the Pope during the liturgical hierarchical commemorations as it was simply not being understood by many that the union had occurred.

        Perhaps because the Shkurat family had a background in church music they were more aware of what was going on and felt a greater impetus to leave.

        The Orthodox Bishop of Peremyshl, Michael Kopystynski (1594-1610) initially affixed his seal to the Union of Brest, but then withdrew his support. The next bishop, Athanasius Krupetzki, was Greek Catholic, but an Orthodox hierarchy for Peremyshl continued and established its seat at Sanok. This situation continued until 1691 when the Orthodox Bishop Innocent Vynnytskyj embraced the Union.

        The Sanok area thus seems to have been a stronghold of Orthodox support. The church at Morochow attests that they did not embrace the union until 1692.

        Justin

        Message 3 of 8 , May 27, 2013

          LDS FHL has the following Bartne records:

          Ksiegi metrykalne, 1784-1849
          Authors: Kosciól grecko-katolicki. Parafja Bartne (Gorlice) (Main Author)
          Format: Manuscript/Manuscript on Film
          Language: Polish
          Publication: Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmowalo The Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971
          Physical: na 1 rolce mikrofilmu ; 35 mm.

          Notes
          Mikrofilm oryginala w Archiwum Panstwowe, Warszawa.

          Greek Catholic parish register of baptisms in Bartne (Gorlice), Galizien, Austria; now Bartne (Gorlice), Rzeszów, Poland. Text in Polish.

          Subjects
          a.. Poland, Rzeszów, Bartne (Gorlice) - Church records
          b.. Austria, Galizien, Bartne (Gorlice) - Church records
          Film Notes
          Note Location Film/DGS
          Akta urodzen 1784-1849 Family History Library INTL Film 753057 Items 1-4

          *********

          Let's estimate that Dmirty's father, Stefan Shkurat, was born ca. 1731. With the microfilm the births of grand-nephews and grand-nieces can be found. If the birth records have grandparents, then information about Stefan's generation should be possible.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 27, 2013
            Message 5 of 8 , May 27, 2013