Re: program uploaded to our site??

  • mrmc4540@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hello to all, and our administrator,

      How can these people upload a program onto our site without permission? And what is going to be done about it? We don't need a hispanic singles group on our list.
      Maryann

      > From: Laurence Krupnak <Lkrupnak@...>
      > Date: 2005/03/02 Wed AM 01:35:18 GMT
      > To: Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Korsunowce - Mirgorod

    • Roman
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Folks,

        This situation is the price we pay for having free speech, and that
        applies to Internet discussions as well. I am afraid that there is
        little we can do about such material in this - and in many other venues
        also.

        Laurence, our moderator, has previously noted that no permissions are
        required to join the group, post messages on it, or upload files into
        it. We can stop this if we choose to restrict all postings and submit to
        some form of censorship by the moderator. That could well turn into a
        full time job - and it's one that I am certain neither he nor I would want.

        Let's try to be a little tolerant and simply note such postings to the
        moderator for proper disposition - or simply ignore them when they crop
        up. If this is more than one can stand, there is always the option to
        weigh the value of the information offered against the disgust we feel
        towards the spam and opt out - leave the group for greener pastures.

        Cheers,

        Roman

        mrmc4540@... wrote:

        > Hello to all, and our administrator,
        >
        > How can these people upload a program onto our site without permission? And what is going to be done about it? We don't need a hispanic singles group on our list.
        > Maryann

      • Frank Keneavy
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
          Lavrentiy,

          Please DO NOT censor the list. Since 911 our lives are becoming so
          regulated that I wonder if i'm still in the USA. The internet seems to be
          the last bastion of complete freedom. Naturally with freedom comes risk, but
          are we such robots that we can't decide what we do and do not choose to read
          ? The "delete" button makes the junk tolerable. I'll get off my "soapbox"
          now , thank you.

          Frank

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
            Frank Keneavy wrote:

            > Lavrentiy,
            >
            > Please DO NOT censor the list. Since 911 our lives are becoming so
            > regulated that I wonder if i'm still in the USA. The internet seems to be
            > the last bastion of complete freedom. Naturally with freedom comes risk, but
            > are we such robots that we can't decide what we do and do not choose to read
            > ? The "delete" button makes the junk tolerable. I'll get off my "soapbox"
            > now , thank you.
            >
            > Frank

            *********

            Hello Frank,

            I agree.

            Watch upcoming congressional hearings on a new censorship bill. Some
            Senators want cable TV censored:

            http://www.cato.org/dailys/03-23-04.html

            Censorship is a slippery hill.

            .;