Re: Roman Catholic Eucharist

    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2013

      The wrong video lecture link was sent. Here's the correct one:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgmIcm-o2oY

      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2013
        John,

        Lavrentiy is correct, except that by Syrian Orthodox I think he means churches in communion with the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch.

        Eastern Orthodox Churches are not in communion with other groups of Churches in the East. These are the Oriental Orthodox Churches, which include the Armenian Apostolic Church, the Coptic Orthodox Church, the Syriac Orthodox Church, the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (in India), and the Eritrean Orthodox Church. These churches did not accept the formulation of the Council of Chalcedon in the year 451, describing the relationship of the two natures of Christ to each other. They are all in communion with each other.

        Eastern Orthodox Churches are also not in communion with the Assyrian Church of the East, which did not accept the teaching of the Council of Ephesus in 431, concerning the unity of the natures of Christ. The Church of the East is not in communion with any other church, although because of the severe persecutions in Iraq it does have such an agreement with its own Greek Catholic Church -- the Chaldean Catholic Church.

        Eastern Orthodox Christians, absent special circumstances, cannot commune in the ancient churches of these two groups. There has been considerable progress in the 20th century, however, toward reunion with the Oriental Orthodox, but this goal has not yet been attained.

        Justin

        > Hello John,
        >
        > Only Orthodox priests and Orthodox bishops can administer the Eucharist to only Orthodox christians. Plus, the communicants must have prepared themselves to receive communion (must have received the sacrament of confession and have fasted before communion).
        >
        > All Orthodox christians receive communion, even infants.
        >
        > Orthodox christians *cannot* receive the Eucharist administered by Greek Catholic, Byzantine Catholic, Roman Catholic churches or Protestant churches.
        >
        > All Eastern Orthodox churches are in communion, thus e.g. a Russian Orthodox christian can receive communion in a Syrian Orthodox church.
        >

        > Confession:
        >
        > http://oca.org/questions/sacramentconfession

        > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, John Magyari <jmagyari@> wrote:
        > >
        > > What are the requirements in an Orthodox church?
        > >
        > > If one is allowed to receive communion in A Russian Orthodox church, can
        > > they also receive it at a Greek Catholic, Serbian Orthodox, and other
        > > Orthodox, Greek Catholic, Byzantine Churches?
        > >
        > > john
        > >

        > > On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Laurence Krupnak <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > > Question about the Roman Catholic communion:
        > > >
        > > > I attended a funeral at a Roman Catholic church today and the priest
        > > > invited *everybody* to receive communion. That is not permissible in
        > > > Orthodox churches.
        > > >
        > > > More about communion in the Roman Catholic church:
        > > >
        > > > http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=407526
        > > >
        > > > _____

      • Justin
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2013
          Also, sometimes an announcement will be made by the Orthodox priest if there are obviously guests present, stating the rules for approaching the chalice.