Re: Kalusz

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 24, 2013

      > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
      > >
      > > /
      > >

      > > It is my opinion that the surname in English is Kuts (Germans would use Kutz). ts/tz represents one Cyrillic letter. Andrey changed his name from Kutz to Kytz.
      >

      > Andrey Kytz had been convicted of people smuggling in Miami (Florida) in 2005 and served nine months in jail under the name Andrey Kuts. On release, he was deported to the Ukraine. He then changed his name to Andrey Kytz, applied for a new passport and falsely obtained a UK Visa. This enabled him to set up a smuggling operation between the two countries.
      >

      > BTW, different transliteration systems allowed the two Chenchen terrorists (Boston bombers) to get around detection on FBI/CIA/Homeland Security/FAA watch lists.

      Russia warned US of Chechen immigrants'

      http://rt.com/op-edge/tsarnaev-boston-bombing-caucuses-122/

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 25, 2013

        .. in late September 2011, Russia separately contacted the CIA with nearly identical concerns about Tsarnaev. The Russians provided two possible birthdates for him and a variation of how his name might be spelled, as well as the spelling in the Russian-style Cyrillic alphabet.

        Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/04/tamerlan-tsarnaev-s-name-in-terrorism-database-before-boston-bombings-87932.html#ixzz2RU8uMaZs

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 25, 2013

          Cyrillic spellings of the family and given names:

          http://www.vestikavkaza.ru/

          /////

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 25, 2013

            Various Romanization (transliteration) systems for Cyrillic:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Russian

            http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary_talk:Russian_transliteration

            > Cyrillic spellings of the family and given names:
            >
            > http://www.vestikavkaza.ru/
            >
            > /////
            >

            > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
            > >

            > > /
            > >
            > > .. in late September 2011, Russia separately contacted the CIA with nearly identical concerns about Tsarnaev. The Russians provided two possible birthdates for him and a variation of how his name might be spelled, as well as the spelling in the Russian-style Cyrillic alphabet.
            > >

            > > Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/04/tamerlan-tsarnaev-s-name-in-terrorism-database-before-boston-bombings-87932.html#ixzz2RU8uMaZs
            > >

            > > /
            > >
            > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:

            > > > Russia warned US of Chechen immigrants'
            > > >

            > > > http://rt.com/op-edge/tsarnaev-boston-bombing-caucuses-122/
            > > >

            > > > /

          • John Mansfield
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
              Maybe the Russians could have used Soundex!

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 28, 2013
                Hello John,

                There is only one way to spell names in Cyrillic. What needs to be done is that all English-speaking nations need to use only one method of transliteration (Romanization of Cyrllic). The so called International system (also called the scientific or the European system) which is loosely based on the International Phonetic Alphabet should NOT be used. The main problem with the International system is that commonly used type systems cannot render diacritical marks. See:

                http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~tarn/courses/translit-table.html

                --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, John Mansfield <JMANSFIE@...> wrote:

                > Maybe the Russians could have used Soundex!

              • almrauscher1
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 28, 2013
                  Not so sure.
                  NOT So Sure on that answer that there is only One way to spell names in Cyrillic-
                  Вінницька область-Vinnytsia Oblast
                  Вінницька область -Vinnyts’ka oblast’-
                  Винница Vinnytsia, VINNITSA, VINNITSYA, VINNYTSIA, VINNYTSYA,VINNICA,VINNICIA

                  There is only one way to spell names in Cyrillic. What needs to be done is that all English-speaking nations need to use only one method of transliteration (Romanization of Cyrllic). The so called International system (also called the scientific or the European system) which is loosely based on the International Phonetic Alphabet should NOT be used. The main problem with the International system is that commonly used type systems cannot render diacritical marks. See:

                  http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~tarn/courses/translit-table.html

                  --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, John Mansfield <JMANSFIE@...> wrote:

                  > Maybe the Russians could have used Soundex!

                • Ron
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 28, 2013
                    Are you telling us that Cyrillic is so uniform that there is one way only to spell names (and implicitly, words) in that alphabet? In Russian, Ukrainian, Bulgarian and Rusyn? That all writers in Cyrillic have remained consistent throughout various writing reforms and changes in the alphabets over time, across cultural borders, and despite various languages adapting or dropping different letters over time?

                    I can believe that as readily as I can the French man who told me that yes, French clearly pronounce EVERY letter in every word of their language! My ear is simply not so tuned.

                    Can you clarify your statement a bit?

                    Ron

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 28, 2013
                      Hello,

                      You are giving spelling for different grammatical cases.

                      The nominative case has only one spelling.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 28, 2013
                        --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                        > Are you telling us that Cyrillic is so uniform that there is one way only to spell names (and implicitly, words) in that alphabet? In Russian, Ukrainian, Bulgarian and Rusyn? That all writers in Cyrillic have remained consistent throughout various writing reforms and changes in the alphabets over time, across cultural borders, and despite various languages adapting or dropping different letters over time?
                        >
                        > I can believe that as readily as I can the French man who told me that yes, French clearly pronounce EVERY letter in every word of their language! My ear is simply not so tuned.
                        >
                        > Can you clarify your statement a bit?

                        I should have included that within a specific language which uses Cyrillic there only one spelling. Indeed, there are (minor) differences of spellings among the different languages which us Cyrillic.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 28, 2013
                          Thanks. The larger sense of your meaning came through in your posting about the variations in spelling denoting different case usage.

                          Remaining, addressing this to the group generally, is how many spelling or literary reforms have taken place in the last 150 years. Let us chose Russian as an example that may be easiest to address.

                          PS. If people want to improve our American schools we can change to metric measures and rationalize our spelling system in America. That would release much time for more important studies!

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 28, 2013

                            Here's a good....

                            How many spellings does this man's name have in English?:

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsGRglp6tvs

                            _________

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 28, 2013
                              ---

                              Here's a good one....

                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 28, 2013

                                Chaikovskiy also wrote beautiful Russian Orthodox liturgical music:

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rump2-cOvcc&playnext=1&list=PL55BA24BA62CFE296

                                > ---
                                >
                                > Here's a good one....
                                >

                                > How many spellings does this man's name have in English?:
                                >
                                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsGRglp6tvs
                                >

                                > _________
                                >
                                > Lavrentiy
                                >

                                > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Thanks. The larger sense of your meaning came through in your posting about the variations in spelling denoting different case usage.
                                > > >
                                > > > Remaining, addressing this to the group generally, is how many spelling or literary reforms have taken place in the last 150 years. Let us chose Russian as an example that may be easiest to address.
                                > > >
                                > > > PS. If people want to improve our American schools we can change to metric measures and rationalize our spelling system in America. That would release much time for more important studies!

                              • Edward
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013
                                  I like this discussion. As far as I am concerned, the only good system is to learn some basic Cyrillic in the language you are interested in and some of the other languages the names may have been written in in the various possible source documents you may need to research, learn how to pronounce them, and then write down the English transliterations you encounter, and finally put down in your genealogy program and chart, the original Cyrillic/native/birth form of the name (or place) and then put into Notes all the variations you have encountered.

                                  I am using PAF, and since PAF Companion (the very inexpensive box chart program supplement) has adopted Unicode, I can now type the Americanized version, with the Cyrillic version in parentheses, and have both show up in my charts, in addition to being in the PAF database.

                                  Ed Potereiko

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013
                                    Ed,

                                    Excellent advice.

                                    BTW, here are the English spellings of Piotr's last name which appear in US Library of Congress resources:

                                    Ciaikovsky, Piotr Ilic
                                    Tschaikowsky, Peter Iljitch
                                    Tchaikowsky, Peter Iljitch
                                    Ciaikovsky, Pjotr Iljc
                                    Cajkovskij, Petr Il'ic
                                    Tsjaikovsky, Peter Iljitsj
                                    Czajkowski, Piotr
                                    Chaikovsky, P. I.
                                    Csajkovszkij, Pjotr Iljics
                                    Tsjaïkovskiej, Pjotr Iljietsj
                                    Tjajkovskij, Pjotr Ilitj
                                    Čaikovskis, P.
                                    Chaĭkovskiĭ, Petr Il'ich
                                    Tchaikovski, Piotr
                                    Tchaikovski, Piotr Ilyitch,
                                    Chaĭkovskiĭ, Petr
                                    Tchaikovsky, Peter
                                    Tchaïkovsky, Piotr Ilitch
                                    Tschaikowsky, Pjotr Iljitsch
                                    Tschajkowskij, Pjotr Iljitsch
                                    Tchaïkovski, P. I.
                                    Ciaikovskij, Piotr
                                    Ciaikovskji, Piotr Ilijich
                                    Tschaikowski, Peter Illic
                                    Tjajkovskij, Peter
                                    Chaĭkovski, P'otr Ilich,
                                    Tschaikousky
                                    Tschaijkowskij, P. I.
                                    Tschaikowsky, P. I.
                                    Chaĭkovski, Piotr Ilich
                                    Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich
                                    Čajkovskij, Pëtr Ilič
                                    Tschaikovsky, Peter Ilyich
                                    Tchaikofsky, Peter Ilyitch
                                    Tciaikowski, P.
                                    Tchaïkovski, Petr Ilitch
                                    Ciaikovski, Peter Ilic
                                    Tschaikowski, Pjotr
                                    Tchaikowsky, Pyotr
                                    Tchaikovskij, Piotr Ilic

                                    http://www.tchaikovsky-research.net/en/forum/forum0059.html

                                    Imagine if Piotr was on a US agency terrorist "watch list."

                                    Lavrentiy

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013

                                      Just marvel his music:

                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bb2enlEUXY&list=PL55BA24BA62CFE296