Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem To Celebrate Easter on The Same Dates Which Orthodox Do

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013
      Caye provided:

      http://en.lpj.org/2012/10/23/latin-patriarchate-will-celebrate-easter-2013-according-to-the-julian-calendar/

    • Justin
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
        Yes, this is a very good start.

        His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew and His Holiness Pope Francis are tentatively planning a trip to Jerusalem next year at the time of the Orthodox Christmas to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the meeting of Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras.

        I think the compromise on the calendar issue would be that we all adopted the Revised Julian Calendar, so that Christmas is on December 25th (as the OCA already does) and Easter is on the traditional Julian date. I think that the mystery of the Holy Fire compels keeping the Julian date for Easter.

        The relationship with the Moscow Patriarchate has not yet advanced so far because of the disputes over "canonical territory" but Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk was present at the inauguration. Metropolitan Hilarion is a gifted writer, speaker, and theologian, and chairs the external relations of the Moscow Patriarchate. I highly recommend his book, "Christ, the Conqueror of Hell," which would make excellent Lenten reading for those so inclined.

        As an Orthodox Christian, I have been following the news around the installation of Pope Francis and I must say that the prospects for warm relations, and even eventual reunification, seem better now than they have been since 1054 (if that is the date one chooses to use for the split; 1204 may be better and in the Galician region they seem not to have taken firm sides until even the 14th century - there was just not much need to do so).

        The basis for all this: "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me." John 17:20-21. But reunion for reunion's sake is not a good thing - it must be done with careful consideration of doctrine, practices, etc.

        All very interesting and worth following for both historical and contemporary interest.

        Justin

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013

          Christ the Conqueror of Hell: The Descent into Hades from an Orthodox Perspective

          Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev (Author)

          Amazon reviewers: 4.8 out of 5 stars

          http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Conqueror-Hell-Orthodox-Perspective/dp/0881410616

          /

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013

            One major issue about using the Gregorian calendar for dating Easter is observed before Jewish Passover begins. Many Western christains say "what's so important about the Easter date?" Jesus went to Jerusalem to observe Passover.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013

              Reader Question: Is the Date of Easter Related to Passover? By Scott P. Richert

              http://catholicism.about.com/b/2009/04/16/reader-question-is-the-date-of-easter-related-to-passover.htm

              http://catholicism.about.com/b/2008/03/07/reader-question-why-does-easter-come-before-passover-this-year.htm