Jan Kowalski in Galicia

  • ccaruso8011
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
      Hello all -

      I am helping a patron at our local Family History Center to locate his ancestors in Poland. This is all a new learning for me.

      To begin, I would like to restrict our search to Jan/John Kowalski. I do have information about his wife and her parents, but all it tells us is that they came from Glinic. (I know, I know - there was a Glinic at every crossroad.)

      I have followed the Kowalski family through all the US censuses. My patron has followed them through all the local records.

      But we still do not know where to search in Poland.

      I have uploaded the manifest for Jan Kowalski. There are two pages to this. He is passenger number 12.

      I have uploaded John Kowalski's Declaration of Intention. I did a little surgery on this in Adobe PhotoShop Elements and think the place of birth says Broniszow. Perhaps someone more skilled than I am can do better.

      I have uploaded John's Petition for Naturalization.

      If I have not done this correctly, please correct me. I have never been on a list like this before. As I said, it is a whole new learning experience for me. And quite fun!

      Thank you.

      Carole
      Endicott, New York
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013

        Carole uploaded the documents (images) to the Photos section:

        Jan/John K. photo album
        _________

        Lavrentiy

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
          Group and Carole,

          Here is an alternate source of Jan Kowalski's arrival record:

          http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=604255040012

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
            Hello Carole,

            The person of the naturalization papers (1st and 2nd papers) don't match the person of the Ellis Island record.

            The naturalization papers have that John was born in Broniszow, which was in Ropczyce district.

            The Ellis Island record has that Jan resided in Dubne, which was in Nowy Sacz district.

            The naturalization paper has that John arrived on a ship called Hannover. The Ellis Island record ship is Freidrich der Grosse.

            What is the source that Jan was from Glinik? I don't see Glinik on the records, unless it's on the Declaration of Intention which is very faint.

            I look at the documents again, but the above is my preliminary findings.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
              Hello Carole,

              Jan Kowalski/John Kowalski is a very common name, like John Smith name.

              Are you certain that you have the correct naturalization papers or Ellis Island record or both might be wrong?

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013

                Hello Carole,

                The petition has:

                Jan born in Broniszow.

                Arrived at Ellis Island on August 15, 1900.

                The provided Ellis Island record is for the ship Freidrich der Grosse which arrived on August 24, 1900. The immigrant Jan Kowalski's last residence is Dubne.

                Dubne is near Nowy Sacz.

                Broniszow is near Ropczyce.

                Nowy Sacz and Ropczyce are close, but not real close to one another.

                The SS Hanover didn't arrive at Ellis Island during the entire year of 1900, so John provided false information on his Petition for Naturalization.

                _________

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
                  Hello Carole,

                  Jan Kowalski's destination was Smoke Run, PA.

                  John Kowalski reside in Olyphant, PA. The two places are not near each other. Now, granted people do move. I think the Jan Kowalski August 24, 1900 arrival is not our John Kowalski.

                  Do you have other Jan Kowalski 1900 arrivals?

                  We know that John Kowalski lied on his Petition for Naturalization (no SS Hannover arrivals at Ellis Island during the entire year of 1900).

                  __________

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013

                    Carole,

                    Here's Jan arrival record:

                    http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=604242110413

                    Broniszow is his birth place.

                    What is the source that Jan was born in Glinik?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013

                      Here's a map:

                      http://tinyurl.com/cs5g8e4

                      Haha...there is a Glinik 1.5 miles away.

                      Glinik and Broniszow were within the domain of the Lacczki Kucharskie Roman Catholic parish.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013

                        Laczki Kucharskie.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013

                          Here are some others from Broniszow to Ellis Island:

                          http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?uid=13614627671091361462790375&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisgold.html&mode=running&time=1364344480122&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstkind=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&town=Broniszow&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAGE=&offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=age&FLD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&FLD=annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

                          http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?uid=13614627671091361462790375&time=1364344480122&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisgold.html&mode=running&fail=0&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=age&FLD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&FLD=annotations&town=Broniszow&townkind=close&pagesize=50&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc&offset=51&totalNumber=70

                          ///////

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
                          • ccaruso8011
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 27, 2013
                              Positive. If it comes down to what to believe, believe the Manifests.

                              Carole

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 27, 2013

                                Laczki Kucharskie records on microfilm:

                                https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/351946