Re: Handwriting

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2013
      This is Bank of America's machine:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tifJn_Qhs

      Citibank machine is similar.

      (check scanner and OCR).

      > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
      > >

      > > /
      > >
      > > Thanks, Roman.
      > >

      > > I thought about handwriting yesterday when I went to the bank to deposit a few checks (none were type-written).
      > >
      > > Most banks now have "Deposit Image ATMs":
      > >
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsblR3LPjLY
      >

      > Note: Unlike the NCR device shown in the video, Citibank, the bank that I used, has deposit image ATMs whicxh are totally automatic, that is the patron doesn't enter check amount on a keypad. The scanner and "brains" interpret the check amount (digits and cursive entry for dollar value).
      >

      > I was amazed at the accuracy.
      >

      > > I deposited some checks which contained horrible handwriting - either the numerical digits for the dollar amount or the cursively-supplied dollar amount was horrible or both were horribel. I had a difficult time interpreting the entries. Yet, the ATM scanner and "brains" made no errors. I was truly amazed at that technology.
      > >
      > > __________
      > >
      > > Lavrentiy
      > >

      > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Roman <romankal@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Larry,
      > > >
      > > > I have seen that form for the letter 'k' in many other Ellis Island
      > > > records. If one is not careful and aware of it, one might transcribe it
      > > > as 'ls' or something else.
      > > >
      > > > Its interesting that Jan Krupa appears twice on that page. A year apart
      > > > in age they both have wives with the same name.
      > > >
      > > > And, finally, the TRZCIANIEC metrical records not only contain the
      > > > surnames Bamburak, Pelikan and Urban but also the fourth surname,
      > > > Sapilak, on line 28. I did not see Hryczszyn in my scan of about 10
      > > > pages of records.
      > > >
      > > > Roman

    • Mary Ann
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2013
        Hello:
        That seems to be the case in spelling of german, ukranian etc surnames.  It look alot of times how the name sounded thats how it was written or was it rules of changing a couple of letters in the surname; I don't know requirements for immigration who knows?  Like the record for Blentro Bassroba when he used Dymetro Basaraba or Metro on his land grant form. and Canadian census and naturalization.  I have requested the homestead file about 3 weeks or more ago, it was supposed to be copied and sent via post office.  More waiting
        Mary Ann