Re: Need Help With Baptismal Record!

  • Vladimir
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 4, 2013
      Justin,

      I will see your image of the record.
      To answer your second question, I want to post an image. This is an image from a metrical book of Roman-Catholic parish (1841). Yes, they wrote down names and occupation of God-parents in birth records.

      Additionally:

      If you are interested, you can look at the image. I uploaded it in the section of "Photos". The name of the album is "columns_in_metrical_book". We can see that when a child was born they wrote down the following data:

      Date of birth (mensis/natus)
      Date of baptism (mensis/baptisatus)
      House number (numerus domus)
      Name of child (nomen)
      Religion (Religio)
      Catholic/other (Catholic/Ant Alia)
      Sex
      Boy/girl (puer/puella)
      Lawful/non-lawful
      Parents (parentes); Name (nomen); Occupation (conditio)
      God-parents (patrini); Name (nomen); Occupation (conditio)

      Vladimir in Ukraine

      --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Justin" wrote:

      > Dear Friends,
      >
      > I have uploaded to the files section of this site a page from the parish register of the Greek Catholic Church in Morochow, powiat Sanok, showing baptisms from the year 1833.
      >
      > I am looking at the first baptism, for Michail son of Andreas Dziulik and Catharina. I think that Andreas Dziulik here is my 4th great grandfather of that name.
      >
      > I can read most of it, but parts are a mystery to me. My questions:
      >
      > 1. Who is the mother? Catharina de ---. It looks to me like de "Frentius Lankowa" or "Frentius Saukowa" or something like that. The church couldn't read this either when they sent it to me. Their best guess was "Laukowa" or "Saukowa." None of it makes any sense to me - Catharine's father is "supposed" to be Michal Sudyk! But I'm not as concerned about that right now as I am getting this reading correct so I can go from there.
      >
      > 2. Next to the godparents there is a column for "conditio" where it is written, "rustici localis," which I assume means something like "local peasants." But who does this refer to? The godparents?
      >
      > 3. Underneath the name is written the name of the obstetrician, Tatianna Capowa. That makes sense as Cap is a common name in this village. But what is written after her name? It looks like "no (superscript o) agr." I don't understand this abbreviation. Maybe "agr." is agricola but I don't know what the "no" is.
      >
      > 4. Finally, over on the left side, there is some kind of handwritten note in Ukrainian, which looks to me as follows:
      > 15
      > 5/3935
      > sched.? ysor? uzhdi do Staroky? ???.
      > I'm not sure if I read any of that correctly or what it means. I'd appreciate any help.
      >
      > Here is a link to the image, called IMG_0311.jpg -
      > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8CkNUSChFUBQxJpjm8Err2Nm7wzBgMuH1RqyNlZ7IfBdmkWyXtq9Oyw6Jon28XJYLgLgOy6E-UVp998jieg3gXQn73XzyXN6LQ/IMG_0311.JPG
      >
      > Thanks very much.
      >
      > Justin

    • Ron
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 6, 2013
        > > > Why in 1935 did the Starosta need the birth record of Mikhail, who was born in 1833?

        Justin,

        Across the border in wartime 1943 Slovakia, one 'Slovak' branch of the family needed a birth certificate to prove they were Slovak and not Hungarian. thus an 1853 certificate is floating about in our records - but does not match the church records that can be found on line.

        It makes me wonder what the politics of 1935 were in the region in question.

        Ron