Re: Grandfather from Busk Galicia

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
      Gary,

      BTW...here are his parents on the same ship:

      http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=102175100241

      LDS has the Busk records:

      http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=102175100241

      Examine the records because the researcher in Poland may have errored committed any number of errors or you gave wrong information.

      --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "garylew2004" <garylew2004@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone. I'm having a very difficult time verifying where my grandfather and his family originated from. My grandfather Jan Lew arrived in USA in 1906. His last residence was listed as Busk. The family was Polish, and Roman Catholic.
      >
      > I contacted the archives in Warsaw because they stated that they had Roman Catholic church records for Busk Galicia/Ukraine for the years that my grandfather and great grandfather were born. I provided them with the names and dates, and after a wait of over a month I received a reply that they had found nothing on my grandfather or my great grandfather in the Busk records.
      >
      > I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I'd really like to find out where my family came from. Maybe someone could offer some ideas?
      >
      > Gary

    • jim
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
        I have relatives named 'Busk' and they were from Norway. Was the town of Busk in Galicia named by Vikings perhaps?
        Jim

        BTW...here are his parents on the same ship:

        http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=102175100241

        LDS has the Busk records:

        http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=102175100241

        Examine the records because the researcher in Poland may have errored committed any number of errors or you gave wrong information.

        --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "garylew2004" <garylew2004@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone. I'm having a very difficult time verifying where my grandfather and his family originated from. My grandfather Jan Lew arrived in USA in 1906. His last residence was listed as Busk. The family was Polish, and Roman Catholic.
        >
        > I contacted the archives in Warsaw because they stated that they had Roman Catholic church records for Busk Galicia/Ukraine for the years that my grandfather and great grandfather were born. I provided them with the names and dates, and after a wait of over a month I received a reply that they had found nothing on my grandfather or my great grandfather in the Busk records.
        >
        > I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I'd really like to find out where my family came from. Maybe someone could offer some ideas?
        >
        > Gary

        No virus found in this message.

      • lkrupnak@rcn.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
          Busk:

          The name 'Busk' comes from the west Ukrainian word 'busko' which means 'crane'. Appropriately, the heraldic crest of the town is a white stork on a blue shield and the stork is the town symbol.

          http://www.ukraine.com/lviv-oblast/busk/

          /

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012

            Vassily Savenko, bass sings Ukrainian Folk Song "The Cranes"

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uffjSlcfk88

            Crane nest:

            http://www.panoramio.com/photo/26185951

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012

              Bohdan Lepky, pen name: Marko Murava

              Cranes

              Cranes (You see, my brother - Ukr.: Ð'идиш, брате мій) - 1910 - famous poem known to Ukrainians throughout the world as the song ("You see, my brother, my friend, a gray string of cranes soaring high into the sky...").

              Ð'идиш, брате мій,
              Товаришу мій,
              Ð'ідлітають сірим шнуром
              Журавлі у вирій.
              Кличуть: кру!кру!кру!
              Ð' чужині умру,
              Заки море перелечу,
              Крилонька зітру,
              Крилонька зітру.

              Мерехтить в очах
              Ð`езконечний шлях,
              Ð"ине, гине в синіх хмарах
              Слід по журавлях.

              1912р.

              http://www.ukrcenter.com/%D0%9B%D1%96%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B0/%D0%91%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BD-%D0%9B%D0%B5%D0%BF%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9/20781/%D0%92%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B8%D1%88-%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5-%D0%BC%D1%96%D0%B9

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohdan_Lepky

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012

                The Cranes Are Flying

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCPzozGveGI

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTxKVQfNWQI

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cranes_Are_Flying

                > Bohdan Lepky, pen name: Marko Murava
                >
                > Cranes
                >
                > Cranes (You see, my brother - Ukr.: �'идиш, брате мій) - 1910 - famous poem known to Ukrainians throughout the world as the song ("You see, my brother, my friend, a gray string of cranes soaring high into the sky...").
                >

                > �'идиш, брате мій,
                > Товаришу мій,
                > �'ідлітають сірим шнуром
                > Журавлі у вирій.
                > Кличуть: кру!кру!кру!
                > �' чужині умру,
                > Заки море перелечу,
                > Крилонька зітру,
                > Крилонька зітру.
                >
                > Мерехтить в очах
                > �`езконечний шлях,
                > �"ине, гине в синіх хмарах
                > Слід по журавлях.
                >
                > 1912р.
                >
                > http://www.ukrcenter.com/%D0%9B%D1%96%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B0/%D0%91%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BD-%D0%9B%D0%B5%D0%BF%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9/20781/%D0%92%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B8%D1%88-%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5-%D0%BC%D1%96%D0%B9
                >

                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohdan_Lepky
                >

                > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                > >
                > > /
                > >

                > > Vassily Savenko, bass sings Ukrainian Folk Song "The Cranes"
                > >
                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uffjSlcfk88
                > >

                > > Crane nest:
                > >
                > > http://www.panoramio.com/photo/26185951
                > >
                > > ______
                > >
                > > Lavrentiy
                > >

                > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, <lkrupnak@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Busk:
                > > >
                > > > The name 'Busk' comes from the west Ukrainian word 'busko' which means 'crane'. Appropriately, the heraldic crest of the town is a white stork on a blue shield and the stork is the town symbol.
                > > >

                > > > http://www.ukraine.com/lviv-oblast/busk/
                > > >

                > > > /

              • Jim Stamm
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
                  On Sep 1, 2012, at 9:50 AM, <lkrupnak@...> <lkrupnak@...> wrote:

                  > Busk:
                  >
                  > The name 'Busk' comes from the west Ukrainian word 'busko' which
                  > means 'crane'. Appropriately, the heraldic crest of the town is a
                  > white stork on a blue shield and the stork is the town symbol.

                  How is this appropriate? Cranes and storks are different animals.
                  I'm not trying to show off or cause trouble (although that is usually
                  more fun), but to learn a little more about name derivation.

                  Could "busko" be defined as "a bird that looks like a crane"? Could
                  the word have been given to the sight, notwithstanding the ignorance
                  of the observer? Could the town and the bird have been named after
                  the crane because the Vikings had no word for the stork? I could go
                  on. Answers to these subtleties can sometimes be important in
                  tracking genealogical migrations and surname assignments and changes.

                  I invite hypotheses just like Jim's excellent suggestion. I wouldn't
                  expect answers to my questions to be in the literature. We usually
                  rely on classical references, but those sources quite often are the
                  result of a single conclusion, and they are passed on ad infinitum.
                  It's possible that if the author of Larry's reference had known about
                  Jim's idea, he may have published a totally different conclusion.
                  Those classical guys didn't have the benefit of any forum to
                  investigate multiple hypotheses.

                  -Jim
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012

                    Storks seem to be around cranes

                    An Aesop Fables

                    The Farmer and the Stork

                    A Farmer placed nets on his newly-sown farming land and caught a number of Cranes, which came to pick up his seed.

                    One day he trapped a Stork that had fractured his leg in the net. The Stork earnestly beseeched the Farmer to spare his life.

                    “Pray save me, Master,” he said, “and let me go free this one time. Have pity on me for my broken leg. Besides, I am no Crane, I am a Stork, a bird of excellent character. Look too, at my feathers— they are not the least like those of a Crane.”

                    The Farmer laughed aloud and said, “It may be all as you say, I only know this: I have taken you with these robbers, the Cranes, and you must die in their company.”

                    Moral: Be careful who you hang out with.

                    --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Jim Stamm <StammJim@...> wrote:

                    > On Sep 1, 2012, at 9:50 AM, <lkrupnak@...> <lkrupnak@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Busk:
                    > >
                    > > The name 'Busk' comes from the west Ukrainian word 'busko' which
                    > > means 'crane'. Appropriately, the heraldic crest of the town is a
                    > > white stork on a blue shield and the stork is the town symbol.
                    > >

                    > How is this appropriate? Cranes and storks are different animals.
                    > I'm not trying to show off or cause trouble (although that is usually
                    > more fun), but to learn a little more about name derivation.
                    >
                    > Could "busko" be defined as "a bird that looks like a crane"? Could
                    > the word have been given to the sight, notwithstanding the ignorance
                    > of the observer? Could the town and the bird have been named after
                    > the crane because the Vikings had no word for the stork? I could go
                    > on. Answers to these subtleties can sometimes be important in
                    > tracking genealogical migrations and surname assignments and changes.
                    >
                    > I invite hypotheses just like Jim's excellent suggestion. I wouldn't
                    > expect answers to my questions to be in the literature. We usually
                    > rely on classical references, but those sources quite often are the
                    > result of a single conclusion, and they are passed on ad infinitum.
                    > It's possible that if the author of Larry's reference had known about
                    > Jim's idea, he may have published a totally different conclusion.
                    > Those classical guys didn't have the benefit of any forum to
                    > investigate multiple hypotheses.
                    >
                    > -Jim

                  • jim
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
                      I'm just thinking that it's awfully coincidental that Busk is a Scandinavian name and also a town in Ukraine and that the Vikings had an historical prescence in Ukraine. According to the link Laurence sent the town of Busk was on a crossroads and involved in trading - ideal spot for the Vikings to encounter. Either there are separate words in both Ukrainian and Scandinavian that are the same word (Busk) and mean different things, or else, is it possible the Ukrainian town of Busk was so named because Viking traders in the past gave it it's name or else "lent" the word Busk to the Ukrainian language? There are many examples in other languages of words that have their derivations from other languages - English is full of words derived from other languages.
                      Are their any words in Ukrainian that are similarly derived from other languages?
                      Jim Sauchyn

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
                        Jim,

                        One Ukr. dictionary that I have has:

                        bus'ko see buz'ko

                        buz'ko stork

                        Another dictionary has:

                        A crane is zhuravel'

                        and stork is chornohuz (that must be the black stork)

                        and leleka (female stork).

                        Black stork vs. White Stork:

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Stork
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Stork

                        http://www.oiseaux-birds.com/article-storks-black-white.html

                      • lkrupnak@rcn.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
                          Jim,

                          I think the website that I had first posted had the terms and or translations screwed up.

                        • lkrupnak@rcn.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
                            Jim,

                            According to dictionary buz'ko means stork, not crane,

                            The Busk website had it wrong. Recall that things on the Internet are not always true or correct.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012

                              While bus'ko means stork and not crane, here are two versions of the World War II Russian folksong called ZHURAVLI - Cranes:

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-tyxa_oqpk

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6VwVnhJseE

                              /