The Dylina Family

  • mydylina
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 28, 2003
      I am looking for anyone who may have heard of the name "DYLINA". I
      was stunned to find a Danko DYLINA who came thru Ellis Island from
      Galacia in 1912, as my father and his siblings had never known of
      any family beyond their father. Danko seems to have gone to
      Monessen, Westmoreland, PA to meet family(?) Mikily SMTYKA(?). There
      were 3 people who came across, from Galacia, and all going to PA.
      The other spellings were DYLYNA, so don't know of the connection, if
      any. My father's siblings are all old now and passing away, never
      knowing who their father was, where he came from. I remember him
      having a very heavy accent, but my dad denies this. It almost
      sounded German. Any news would be a thrill. My dad is now 80 yrs,
      and I would love to be able to tell him about his own dad. No one
      ever even knew his mother's maiden name until 1977 -/+, until I
      found granddad's marriage license on file. And even that's a "toss-
      up", as I have found two different documents with two different
      names!! Thank you for any responses.... Pam Dylina-***
    • cheryl BALOG wenberg
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 28, 2003
        Pam,

        Do you subscribe to Ancestry.com or Genealogy.com?

        I have no connection to the name....but I can look some up for you.

        Let me know,

        cheryl BALOG wenberg

        ps what is your fathers name and where did he live?

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 29, 2003
          Hello Pam,

          What village are theyfrom?

          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "mydylina" <snowfire1@c...> wrote:
          > I am looking for anyone who may have heard of the name "DYLINA". I
          > was stunned to find a Danko DYLINA who came thru Ellis Island from
          > Galacia in 1912, as my father and his siblings had never known of
          > any family beyond their father. Danko seems to have gone to
          > Monessen, Westmoreland, PA to meet family(?) Mikily SMTYKA(?). There
          > were 3 people who came across, from Galacia, and all going to PA.
          > The other spellings were DYLYNA, so don't know of the connection, if
          > any. My father's siblings are all old now and passing away, never
          > knowing who their father was, where he came from. I remember him
          > having a very heavy accent, but my dad denies this. It almost
          > sounded German. Any news would be a thrill. My dad is now 80 yrs,
          > and I would love to be able to tell him about his own dad. No one
          > ever even knew his mother's maiden name until 1977 -/+, until I
          > found granddad's marriage license on file. And even that's a "toss-
          > up", as I have found two different documents with two different
          > names!! Thank you for any responses.... Pam Dylina-***
        • Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 31, 2003
            Hello Cheryl! No, I don't subscribe, yet. They all want CC's and I don't "do".... MY dad's name is Philip G. and he lives in Eugene, OR. He has some living brothers and one sister, who is now in a nursing home in Great Falls, MT. As for my uncles, I really don't know who is still living. My dad's family was never close. OBVIOUSLY!! I would grovel for in info you could find!! MOST of the info that is found on the Web, including Graves.com have come from me. I've had people put info into spaces only to find out that they had recieved it, thru my dad, from me! How disappointing....anyway, Thank you for responding. I look forward to hearing from you..
            ---- Thank you!! Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 31, 2003
              Hello! Thank you for responding. I don't know where they were from. The log from the ship did't specify, that I could read. I had no idea that the country existed, let alone the village!! As I had stated, my dad has no idea of anything from his dad. Grandpa Joe never spoke of his family. There were rumors that he did have a brother in Canada, but no one ever met him. I am literally starting from scratch. The name on the Ellis Island manifest was a total surprise, as no one had ever seen our name but from the immediate families, so if we saw the name, we knew that they were an uncle. That's how rare the name was for us. My sister has been around the world for service-connected and her husband's (now) job, and NEVER found the name. So it's been a long, dead-end search, until ....the Ellis Island find. Sorry that I don't have more...I wish I did... Pam..
              Have a Safe NEW YEAR!!

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 1, 2004
                Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey wrote:

                > Hello! Thank you for responding. I don't know where they were from. The log from the ship did't specify, that I could read. I had no idea that the country existed, let alone the village!!

                Provide an image of the ship passenger manifest. Images and links can
                be uploaded to the Galicia Mailing List webpage:

                > As I had stated, my dad has no idea of anything from his dad. Grandpa Joe never spoke of his family. There were rumors that he did have a brother in Canada, but no one ever met him. I am literally starting from scratch. The name on the Ellis Island manifest was a total surprise, as no one had ever seen our name but from the immediate families, so if we saw the name, we knew that they were an uncle. That's how rare the name was for us. My sister has been around the world for service-connected and her husband's (now) job, and NEVER found the name. So it's been a long, dead-end search, until ....the Ellis Island find. Sorry that I don't have more...I wish I did... Pam..
                > Have a Safe NEW YEAR!!... Pam Dylina-***

              • Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2004
                  Hello Laurence.. I owe you an apology. I haven't been to the Ellis Island website for awhile and had forgotton my information. Danko DYLINA came from S. Ruska, Galizia; Ethnicity: Austria, Ruthenian. I don't understand this...how can he have lived in Galizia and be from Austria? Please explain... I thank you for your time... Pam...DYLINA-O'LEXEY

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2004
                    Hello Pamela,

                    You wrote:

                    > Hello Laurence.. I owe you an apology.

                    I don't recall why an apology is needed.

                    > I haven't been to the Ellis Island website for awhile and had forgotton my information. Danko DYLINA came from S. Ruska, Galizia; Ethnicity: Austria, Ruthenian.

                    We need to see an image of the manifest because the above is the
                    extractor's interpretation of the information on the manifest, and often
                    the extractor's interpretaion is totally incorrect. I and many of us
                    can find it but it takes time...so help out those who want to help you.

                    > I don't understand this...how can he have lived in Galizia and be from Austria? Please explain... I thank you for your time...

                    Galicia was a province for about 150 years prior to World War I.

                    >Pam...DYLINA-O'LEXEY

                  • Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 4, 2004
                      Laurence, can you tell me how to send you the picture from the website.....There are no "forward" buttons for me to use and I don't know how to get it to you from the site. Pam.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 4, 2004
                        Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey wrote:

                        > Laurence, can you tell me how to send you the picture from the website.....There are no "forward" buttons for me to use and I don't know how to get it to you from the site. Pam.

                        *******

                        Hello Pamela,

                        You can either provide the URL to the manifest image in your
                        message like this:

                        http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=03477523220067827680&FNM=DANKO&LNM=DYLINA&PLNM=DYLINA&RF=1&ALTS=97%7Cdylyna&ALTS=94%7Cdypina&pID=104964020066&

                        Or post the link in the mailing list's "Link" site.

                      • Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 4, 2004
                          Laurence, I just tried to send you the web page link and it would not go thru. It stated that your "groups.yahoo....." was not a valid address!! Will try something else... Pam..

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 4, 2004
                            Hello Pamela,

                            His birthplace is Swierzowa Ruska.

                            Laurence Krupnak wrote:

                            > Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Laurence, can you tell me how to send you the picture from the website.....There are no "forward" buttons for me to use and I don't know how to get it to you from the site. Pam.
                            >
                            > *******
                            >
                            > Hello Pamela,
                            >
                            > You can either provide the URL to the manifest image in your
                            > message like this:
                            >
                            > http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=03477523220067827680&FNM=DANKO&LNM=DYLINA&PLNM=DYLINA&RF=1&ALTS=97%7Cdylyna&ALTS=94%7Cdypina&pID=104964020066&
                            >
                            > Or post the link in the mailing list's "Link" site.
                            >
                            > _____
                            >
                            > Lavrentiy
                          • Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 4, 2004
                              This is what I got when trying to send you the web page from Ellis Island..... Pam...
                              "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine/'. Subject 'Emailing: shipManifest', Account: 'POP3', Server: 'mail.nw.centurytel.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.1 <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine/>... User unknown', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 4, 2004
                                Hello Pamela,

                                To have messages published by the Galicia mailing list send an
                                e-mail to Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com

                                for the mailing list's homepage on the World Wide Web. If
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine is colorized on
                                your screen simply click on it a watch what happens.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 4, 2004
                                  I'm going to try this: http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=03477523220067827680&FNM=DANKO&LNM=DYLINA&PLNM=DYLINA&RF=1&ALTS=97%7Cdylyna&ALTS=94%7Cdypina&pID=104964020066& OK! Hope this works for you!! I know where it is!! just hope that this is right!! :) Pam.
                                  > > Laurence, can you tell me how to send you the picture from the website.....There are no "forward" buttons for me to use and I don't know how to get it to you from the site. Pam.
                                  >
                                  > *******
                                  >
                                  > Hello Pamela,
                                  >
                                  > You can either provide the URL to the manifest image in your
                                  > message like this:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=03477523220067827680&FNM=DANKO&LNM=DYLINA&PLNM=DYLINA&RF=1&ALTS=97%7Cdylyna&ALTS=94%7Cdypina&pID=104964020066&
                                  >
                                  > Or post the link in the mailing list's "Link" site.
                                  >
                                  > _____

                                • Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 4, 2004
                                    Laurence.... I can't get it passed on... the manifest page, that is. The mail server keeps rejecting it. I even sent you a message with a copy of the message and THAT was rejected!! So sorry for being a 'pain' here, but I am trying.... :( Pam..

                                    Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey wrote:

                                    > This is what I got when trying to send you the web page from Ellis Island..... Pam...
                                    > "The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine/'. Subject 'Emailing: shipManifest', Account: 'POP3', Server: 'mail.nw.centurytel.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.1 <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine/>... User unknown', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 5, 2004
                                      Pamela Dylina-O'Lexey wrote:

                                      > Laurence.... I can't get it passed on... the manifest page, that is. The mail server keeps rejecting it. I even sent you a message with a copy of the message and THAT was rejected!! So sorry for being a 'pain' here, but I am trying.... :( Pam..

                                      *********

                                      Hello Pamela,

                                      I don't know where the problem is.

                                      Did you see my two posts of yesterday...I sent to you and the list
                                      the manifest of Danko and identified his birthplace....click on the
                                      following two links: