looking for info on Toporowicz

  • Jesse G
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2012
      Hello everyone,

      I joined this group a few months ago and have been trying to gain as much
      information as I can from the wonderfully informative posts here! However,
      I seem to have hit a roadblock in researching my ancestry and am hoping I
      can get a boost in the right direction.

      I am looking for information on my grandmother's father, who came to the
      U.S. from the Ukraine. I have a copy of the ship manifest, two of his
      draft cards, and the little information my grandmother was able to provide.

      The information I have is -

      Andrej Toporowicz (later Andrew Toporowich)

      born August 22, 1892-93

      birth place listed as 'Story Sambor, Poland' on a draft card, which I'm
      guessing is 'Staryi Sambir', now part of Ukraine

      ethnicity listed as Ruthenian

      last place of residence before the U.S. listed as 'Wola, Austria' - from
      what I understand 'Wola' means 'village', so that might not help me much

      married Catherine or Katherine / Kathryn Fil, also from the Galicia region,
      ethnically Ukrainian, but her surname was shortened upon arrival to the
      U.S. and my grandmother does not know what her full maiden name was (I
      have not been able to find any information on Katherine Fil at all, sadly)

      Andrew died 1958 in Iselin, New Jersey

      Andrew may have been Jewish, but I haven't been able to confirm or deny it.

      Anything at all will be greatly appreciated!

      - Jesse

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2012

        Jesse,

        Andrew was not a Jew.

        LDS FHL has the following records for Stary Sambor on microfilm:

        http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=390388&subject_disp=Austria%2C+Galizien%2C+Stary+Sambor+%28Stary+Sambor%29+%2D+Church+records&columns=*,0,0

        Discussion of Wola:

        http://www.pgsa.org/Towns/powiats_and_wolas.php

        Therw are two places in Stary Sambor ditrict called Wola.

        --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Jesse G <wyrmcynne@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I joined this group a few months ago and have been trying to gain as much
        > information as I can from the wonderfully informative posts here! However,
        > I seem to have hit a roadblock in researching my ancestry and am hoping I
        > can get a boost in the right direction.
        >

        > I am looking for information on my grandmother's father, who came to the
        > U.S. from the Ukraine. I have a copy of the ship manifest, two of his
        > draft cards, and the little information my grandmother was able to provide.
        >
        > The information I have is -
        >

        > Andrej Toporowicz (later Andrew Toporowich)
        >
        > born August 22, 1892-93
        >
        > birth place listed as 'Story Sambor, Poland' on a draft card, which I'm
        > guessing is 'Staryi Sambir', now part of Ukraine
        >
        > ethnicity listed as Ruthenian
        >
        > last place of residence before the U.S. listed as 'Wola, Austria' - from
        > what I understand 'Wola' means 'village', so that might not help me much
        >
        > married Catherine or Katherine / Kathryn Fil, also from the Galicia region,
        > ethnically Ukrainian, but her surname was shortened upon arrival to the
        > U.S. and my grandmother does not know what her full maiden name was (I
        > have not been able to find any information on Katherine Fil at all, sadly)
        >
        > Andrew died 1958 in Iselin, New Jersey
        >

        > Andrew may have been Jewish, but I haven't been able to confirm or deny it.
        >

        > Anything at all will be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > - Jesse
      • Lorne & Sylvia
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2012
          What about this....

          Title
          Metrical books, 1785-1886
          Authors
          Greek Catholic Church. Wola Koblańska (Stary Sambor) (Main Author)

          Notes
          Microreproduction of original manuscripts at the Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine in L′viv.
          Greek Catholic Church records (births, marriages, deaths) for Wola Koblańska (Stary Sambor), Galizien, Austria; later Wola Koblańska (Sambor), Lwów, Poland; now Voli︠a︡, Staryĭ Sambir, L′viv, Ukraine. Text in Latin.
          Record group 201, series 4A, files 1004-1006.

          Subjects
          Austria, Galizien, Wola Koblańska (Stary Sambor) - Church records
          Poland, Lwów, Wola Koblańska (Sambor) - Church records
          Україна, Львів, Старий Самбір, Воля - Метричні книги
          Ukraine, L′viv, Staryĭ Sambir, Voli︠a︡ - Church records

          Format
          Manuscript (On Film)

          Language
          Latin

          Publication
          Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1996

          Physical
          on 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.

          Film Notes
          Note - Location [Film]
          Volume 201-4A/1004 Births, marriages, deaths 1785-1847 (some years missing and title board is labeled wrong) - FHL INTL Film [ 2043536 Item 2 ]
          Volume 201-4A/1005 Marriages 1785-1876 (title board is labeled wrong) - FHL INTL Film [ 2043536 Item 3 ]
          Volume 201-4A/1006 (title board is labeled wrong) Deaths 1853-1886 - FHL INTL Film [ 2043536 Item 4 ]