Re: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] [rusyns] Re: Akcja W isÅ,a Online

  • Danuta Janina Wójcik
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2011
      half-breeds???? Excuse me.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Laurence
      To: GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 4:35 PM
      Subject: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] [rusyns] Re: Akcja WisÅ,a Online

      /

      Yes, the authorities who conducted Akcja Wisla went through the Greek Catholic parish registers to determine who would be relocated. Many people were not "Rusyns" / "Ukrainians" (e.g., some were of total Polish ethnicity, or half-breeds) but were relocated because they happen to attend a Greek Catholic church.

      _________

      Lavrentiy

    • lkrupnak@rcn.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011
        Hello Danuta,

        half-breed definitions:

        noun

        a person whose parents are of different ethnic types

        http://www.yourdictionary.com/half-breed

        **********

        often offensive

        the offspring of parents of different races;

        http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/half-breed

        *************

        Mixed-ethnicity might be a better term.

        _________

        Lavrentiy

        > Yes, the authorities who conducted Akcja Wisla went
        > through the Greek Catholic parish registers to
        > determine who would be relocated. Many people were
        > not "Rusyns" / "Ukrainians" (e.g., some were of
        > total Polish ethnicity, or half-breeds) but were
        > relocated because they happen to attend a Greek
        > Catholic church.
        >
        > _________
        >
        > Lavrentiy
        >
        > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Danuta
        > Janina W****jcik <sandlily@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > John,
        > >
        > > You need some editing.... "Polish Communist
        > Government under Stalin" The villages that you
        > mentioned were not "Rusyn" per sa. These people did
        > not even call themselves "Rusyns". Polish historians
        > would not appreciate this. You can not title these
        > villages as all "Rusyn". The only ones that were not
        > deported were R.C., all Greek Catholics, Orthodox
        > were deported regardless of their orientation. A lot
        > of these villages were "Royal Villages"....with
        > populations of Polish-Lemkos, Dolanie and
        > Pogorzanie.
        > >
        > > You folks need to understand that if you were G.C.
        > or Orthodox affiliation, that did not exclude Poles.
        > G.C./Orthodox Poles with no Ukrainian orientation or
        > Polish/Lemkos were also deported. It had to be
        > done....... UPA was out of control........they were
        > murderous and would have taken control...all the way
        > to Rzeszow.
        > >
        > > Third Generations etc. do not understand what took
        > place in south-eastern Poland after 1945. So if you
        > do not understand it... don't try to make revisions
        > in history. Keep in mind, most of south-east Poland
        > during WWII was infiltrated with Nazis and Russians
        > (double occuaption). And most of these residents
        > were in Forced Labour Camps up to 1945 and alot of
        > them did not return to south-east Poland and were
        > repariated to the New Found Territories, by choice,
        > as it was safer...
        > >
        > > The move to the New Found Territories was not as
        > bad as people may think. Their lives were safed and
        > their lives are far better living in the cities of
        > Western and Northern Poland. Polish/Lemkos, Polish
        > G.C./Orthodox were able to return to their original
        > homsteads, after Stalin's death, if they chose.
        > >
        > > milego,
        > > dnia

      • D Zaremski
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011
          yet, none the less, still derogatory... especially if one's family origins fit this condition

          To: GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
          From: lkrupnak@...
          Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 10:39:06 -0500
          Subject: Re: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] [rusyns] Re: Akcja Wis�,a Online

        • lkrupnak@rcn.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011

            I do not regard the term "half-breed" a derogatory term.

            What term would you use?

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011

              Mixed race or multi-ethnic:

              http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1838170

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011

                Many languages have evolved names for mixed heritage people in their societies, some words being borrowed from other cultures and languages. Some of the terms have derogatory meaning in one part of the world and are entirely acceptable and proudly borne in other parts of the world.

                Below is a table of terms used to describe some of mixed heritage people. It is interesting to note that some of the terms refer to actual ethnic groups where the offspring of two members of the same group are still regarded as mixed heritage.

                http://www.mixedindifferentshades.net/whats-in-a-name.html

                *************

                In the English-speaking world, many terms for people of various multiracial backgrounds exist, some of which are pejorative or are no longer used. Mulato and mestizo are used in Spanish, mulato and mestiço in Portuguese and mulâtre and métis in French for people of multiracial descent. These terms are also in certain contexts used in the English-speaking world. In Canada, the Métis are a people of mixed white and First Nation descent.

                Terms like mulatto for people of partly African descent and mestizo for people of partly Native American descent are still used in English[citation needed], but mostly when referring to the past or to the demography of Latin-America. Half-breed is a now old-fashioned and pejorative term used for people of partial Native American ancestry. Mestee, once widely used, is now used mostly for members of old mixed-race groups, such as Melungeons, Redbones, Brass Ankles and Mayles. In South Africa, and much of English-speaking southern Africa, the term Coloured was used to describe a mixed-race person but also Asians not of African descent. While the term is socially accepted, it is becoming an outdated term owing to its apartheid historical significance.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiracial

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011

                  The political ascent of Mr. Obama, a man of mixed racial heritage who identifies himself as black, has reignited the discussion of presidential ethnicity that dates as far back as Thomas Jefferson. The third president of the United States was described by a political opponent as the "son of a half-breed Indian squaw and a Virginia mulatto father."

                  Read more:

                  http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08036/854713-51.stm#ixzz1fVVQyeVN

                  ***********

                  Native people, native lands: Canadian Indians, Inuit and Métis By Bruce Alden Cox

                  In preference to "half-breed", "mixed-blood" will be used to describe the peoploe of mixed.......

                  http://books.google.com/books?id=8ZTBawkiwBgC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=half+breed+mixed+ethnicity&source=bl&ots=_3eHhU6ab8&sig=j72tj4oqO-F9S8sNBM8hAHaGfWw&hl=en&ei=nIzaTpWhDcbV0QGQ-8zGDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CGAQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=half%20breed%20mixed%20ethnicity&f=false

                  *************

                  I know all my mixed brothers and sisters out there are tired of hearing the question "What are you." In the past we mixed kids have been abused and shuned. Get over it. Don't let society, or even this article rule you. Find yourself and hopefully avoid the following labels:

                  The "half breed". This kid is TOLD they have no identity, they can't claim any ethnicity. They become agressive and defensive, and while I totally dig the whole "bad bottom" mentality, it's not a good way of life.

                  Tips

                  If you are asked what you are smile tolerantly and say " I"m mixed."

                  Don't ever let anyone call you a "half breed." You are a whole person; always know that.

                  Don't be pushed into the position of "racial mediator," unless you want to.

                  Relize that people are beautiful no matter what thier ethnicity.

                  Don't buy into "race garbage." There is only one race, the human race. We are mixed ETHNICITY children.

                  Know your identity has nothing to do with skin color.

                  Don't let other people (ignorant ones) affect you. I know is't hard, but you can do it with practice.

                  The above from: How to Be a Mixed Kid in Today's Society

                  http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Mixed-Kid-in-Today's-Society

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011

                    > Many languages have evolved names for mixed heritage people in their societies, some words being borrowed from other cultures and languages. Some of the terms have derogatory meaning in one part of the world and are entirely acceptable and proudly borne in other parts of the world.
                    >
                    > Below is a table of terms used to describe some of mixed heritage people. It is interesting to note that some of the terms refer to actual ethnic groups where the offspring of two members of the same group are still regarded as mixed heritage.
                    >

                    > http://www.mixedindifferentshades.net/whats-in-a-name.html

                    The article does not have term Macaca.

                    On August 11, 2006, at a campaign stop in Breaks, Virginia, near the Kentucky border, Allen twice used the word macaca to refer to S.R. Sidarth, an Indian-American, who was filming the event as a "tracker" for the opposing Webb campaign. Allen apologized, first saying he intended to say "mohawk," an incorrect reference to Sidarth's hair cut. He then revised his story, saying he meant to call Sidarth "caca" and then claiming that he did not know the meaning of the word.

                    In 2008, The Washington Post speculated that, were it not for this double utterance, Allen would have been a strong candidate for the 2008 GOP presidential nomination. Macaca is a pejorative epithet used by francophone colonialists in Central Africa's Belgian Congo for the native population. It is derived from the name of the genus comprising macaque monkeys whose name has also itself been used as a racial slur. The macaque's genus name, Macaca, is a latinization of the Bantu (Kongo) ma-kako, meaning "monkey".

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Allen_(U.S._politician)
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011

                      George Allen's Macaca moment:

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7gq7GQ71c

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011

                        Cher's "Half-Breed":

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxoWto09Oyg

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011

                          derogatory terms...it's all personal perspective.

                          Hunkies. I'm a Hunky. Many people regard the term Hunky to be a derogatory term. I and many others on the other hand are proud of their Hunky heritage.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011

                            Ethnicity in a technological age By Ian H. Angus, Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies

                            http://books.google.com/books?id=l2e925j7pY4C&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=Proud+to+be+a+Hunky+Ukrainian&source=bl&ots=aicGMo4bHt&sig=gTFLAOYflX-CHaNmLQfzaO89ZNQ&hl=en&ei=NKXaTs7-FeL00gGPg4TcDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

                            Hunky Bill:

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1IJp555AAw

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVdvguzaEBI

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 3, 2011

                              Hunky Bill prepares pyrohy (Rusyn) / (pierogi) (Polish) the traditional way - fried.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 4, 2011

                                Some Further Readings on mixed ethnicity vs. pure-bred ethnicity

                                The Columbia documentary history of race and ethnicity in America by Ronald H. Bayor:

                                http://books.google.com/books?id=o2eWvyig9SgC&pg=PA570&lpg=PA570&dq=pure+breed+ethnicity&source=bl&ots=GjF2PbgnlH&sig=YkO3uB4llMqmoD6XnAlUcGTwhpQ&hl=en&ei=_o3bTqKZOaPL0QGKm_TaDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&sqi=2&ved=0CFgQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false

                                ************

                                Beyond white ethnicity: developing a sociological understanding of Native American Identity Reclamation by Kathleen J. Fitzgerald

                                http://books.google.com/books?id=M6fPWUjvvCAC&pg=PA189&lpg=PA189&dq=pure+breed+ethnicity&source=bl&ots=K_OD1Cmzu8&sig=_tEZa8Ufnbouxjx6Ueysb0ty1nE&hl=en&ei=_o3bTqKZOaPL0QGKm_TaDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

                                ************

                                Anyone here of only one ethnicity, a pure-bred if you will? If not, what's your mix?

                                http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13927

                                **********

                                Are you a pure-bred?

                                http://anthrocivitas.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11786

                                *************

                                Genetics Out of Africa by O. Jenkins

                                100% Ethnic?
                                Question:
                                If all human beings are out of Africa, why do we study DNA and then say that someone is 100% Chinese or 100% Caucasian; Is there really such a thing as a "pure breed" human being?

                                Answer:
                                The people who would use the terms you cite are not the same people who have analyzed and outlined the genetic history of humanity. Those aware of the genetic realities cannot speak in those stark absolute terms. Such phrases arise, rather, from specific (often prejudicial) social contexts. From a scientific or genetic point of view, the terms you cite have no meaning, as far as I know.

                                But these terms apparently would have in mind some starting point in history where one human group can be identified distinctly from another. But a problem with the term "Chinese" is that it is both a geographic and political designation as well as an ethnic term. And it is not addressing the same thing we have in mind in the discussion of human genetic origins. It speaks in a different context, a recent point of social, racial or ethnic distinction in current or recent historical memory.

                                Vague Terms
                                The term "Caucasian" is even more problematic, since this is a vague reference, and technically refers to peoples living along the Caucasus Mountains or having origins there. It is like most other local or regional terms for "race" or other physical or social distinctions, varying with the local context. The term "Caucasian" is only a broad general reference term, not a clearly defined technical term.

                                On the other hand, each distinct visible physical type does have an identifiable origin along the continuum of human genetic history. But that is what it is â€" a continuum. At each level you can identify similarities and differences. The patterns of migration and genetic drift have been reconstructed by scientists analyzing DNA and vigorously compared with information from other investigative disciplines.

                                I reference some of those on the various essays on ethnicity. My intention here is not to recount or defend the state of genetic analysis. These are broadly available on the Internet and books available from popular outlets.

                                Human Breeds?
                                There is no such thing as a "pure breed" human in the sense of one "type" or "tribe" or "race" of people being purer than any other. There are thousands of ethnic groups in the world (About 10,500, as most analysts count them). We all share the same ultimate history, and the current groups of humans we now know and sometimes refer to as "races" are mixed. The history of every human population indicates they came from somewhere else at some point!

                                Oral traditions of all peoples include stories of migration and mixing. The DNA story says the same. Humans are nomads, sometimes willingly, sometimes under the duress of living conditions.

                                It is characteristic of languages and cultures to continue changing and developing to new forms and dividing into disparate forms. But we also see situations in which languages die and ethnicities die. Smaller peoples may move into a new ethnic stream and become part of another people.

                                http://orvillejenkins.com/ethnicity/geneticsoutofafrica.html

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 4, 2011

                                  So, John (Magyari), to bring this back to Akcja Wisla, conduct an analysis to determine how many mixed-ethnicity Rusyns/Ukrainians were resettled during Akcja Wisla.