Re: Mayors of Ottynia

  • Grecko
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30 1:01 AM
      Hi Alex,
      When I was in Ottynia last year I met up with Mykkhailo, who kindly showed me around town - so he is still in Ottynia!

      Cheers,

      Steve

      --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "alexander_bauknecht" <alexander_bauknecht@...> wrote:

      > I've received an e-mail from Phil Spiegel, the author of the website http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Ottynia/ottynia.htm, who wrote me:
      >
      > "When I visited Ottynia in 1999 I met Mykkhailo Khavlyuk who was the mayor at the time. He bave a copy of the history of the town that he had written. I had it translated into English.
      >
      > From his history I find that at the end of World War I in November 1918 Muchailo Lashchuk was elected head of the town administration. At the beginning of 1920 the head of the Ottynia city council was Ryskalchuk [I've also found Ryskalchyk]. In 1926 Petro Salanetsky became burgermeister.
      >
      > Khavlyuk also states: "In 1936 the burgermeister was Adolf Dostal the Czech and in 1938 Bauknecht the German".
      >
      > This Bauknecht was my grandfather - Emmerich Wilhelm (1892-1966) and I'm looking for any information about him. I've tried to find Mykkhailo Khavlyuk, who has written a book Михайло Хавлюк "Отинія: історичні нариси", За редакцією Миколи Васильчука, Коломия: Бібліотечка "Вільного голосу", Вип. 1, 1998 or Mykola Vasylchuk, the editor of this book (Миколa Миколайович Васильчук - кандидат філологічних наук, доцент Коломийського інституту Прикарпатського національного університету ім. Василя Стефаника) but without success.

    • Justin
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2011
        This is very interesting. Among the Ukrainians of Bellefonte was Paulina (Szczerbin) Borovsky/Brosky (1892-1980), daughter of Oleksandr Szczerbin and Maria Wojciechowska. She was from Kryvotuly which is very near to Otynia. She had a brother in the USA named Martin Szczerbin.

        They are not directly related to me but their daughter married into our family. I do have a picture of Paulina and her husband Michael Borovsky/Brosky.

        Justin