Maziarnia in Galicia

  • einamaka
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
      Hi all...!

      Can anyone help me find the village of Maziarnia on a map of Galicia?
      Its in present day Poland now but I am wondering how far into
      Galicia the town was back in late 1800s and if it was under Polish
      or Austrian rule then.

      any information on that village will be helpful... was this
      basically a Polish or Rusyn village? this for a friend of mine who
      has both in his ancestry...
      Cheers!
      Erika
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
        Maziarnia is East of Nisko.

        There were some Rusyns|Ukrainians in that area. There were Greek
        Catholic churches in nearby Dubrivka (Da~browka) and Szyperki.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
          Hold on... there are several places having the name Maziarnia:

          Here is the one east of Nisko:

          http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=50.5333&longitude=22.4167&size=big

          Here are two southwest of Nisko:

          http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=50.4500&longitude=22.0333&size=big

          http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=50.3500&longitude=21.9333&size=big

          The above three were in Austria's Galicia

          Here are others that were in general area but were not in Galicia (they
          were in the Russian sector):

          http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=50.9833&longitude=23.6500&size=big

          http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=50.3500&longitude=23.2000&size=big

          In summary, your friend needs to do more research.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
            Oh my...there are places now in Ukraine that were in Galicia that also
            had the name Maziarnia.

            Erika, your friend needs to find more information to figure out which
            village.

            Laurence Krupnak wrote:

            > Hold on... there are several places having the name Maziarnia:
            >
            > Here is the one east of Nisko:
            >
            > http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=50.5333&longitude=22.4167&size=big
            >
            > Here are two southwest of Nisko:
            >
            > http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=50.4500&longitude=22.0333&size=big
            >
            > http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=50.3500&longitude=21.9333&size=big
            >
            > The above three were in Austria's Galicia
            >
            > Here are others that were in general area but were not in Galicia (they
            > were in the Russian sector):
            >
            > http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=50.9833&longitude=23.6500&size=big
            >
            > http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=50.3500&longitude=23.2000&size=big
            >
            > In summary, your friend needs to do more research.

            > Laurence Krupnak wrote:
            > >
            > > Maziarnia is East of Nisko.
            > >
            > > There were some Rusyns|Ukrainians in that area. There were Greek
            > > Catholic churches in nearby Dubrivka (Da~browka) and Szyperki.
            > >
            > > _______
            > >
            > > Lavrentiy
            > >
            > > .
            > >
            > > .
            > > .
            > >
            > > einamaka wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all...!
            > > >
            > > > Can anyone help me find the village of Maziarnia on a map of Galicia?
            > > > Its in present day Poland now but I am wondering how far into
            > > > Galicia the town was back in late 1800s and if it was under Polish
            > > > or Austrian rule then.
            > > >
            > > > any information on that village will be helpful... was this
            > > > basically a Polish or Rusyn village? this for a friend of mine who
            > > > has both in his ancestry...
            > > > Cheers!
            > > > Erika
          • einamaka
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
              wow!
              thanks so much for your help...
              i know it was in Galicia he said... Galazien, actually is what he
              said so maybe that makes a difference in the pronunciation as it
              which Maziarnia it would be?... his family is both Polish and
              Ukrainian (I think Rusyn!) and i think the Maziarnia he is looking
              for is probably in Poland today? if that helps...

              thanks again!
              Cheers!
              Erika

              --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Laurence Krupnak

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 31, 2004
                einamaka wrote:

                > wow!
                > thanks so much for your help...
                > i know it was in Galicia he said... Galazien, actually is what he
                > said so maybe that makes a difference in the pronunciation as it
                > which Maziarnia it would be?... his family is both Polish and
                > Ukrainian (I think Rusyn!) and i think the Maziarnia he is looking
                > for is probably in Poland today? if that helps...
                >
                > thanks again!
                > Cheers!
                > Erika

                ********

                Hello Erika,

                All but two of the some ten places that had the name Maziarnia were
                in Austria's Galicia (Galizien in German). Even the ones now in Ukraine
                back then would have potentially had Poles residing there. During the
                inter-war period they were all in Poland.

              • einamaka
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
                  oooh boy.. ok.. i guess thats what it had said on the Ellis island
                  record but didnt go into detail as to where exactly it was...
                  thanks for your help!
                  Cheers!
                  and Happy New Year!!