Re: need help with military abbreviations

  • kozulich
    Message 1 of 27 , May 30 10:05 AM
      I should clarify, I haven't seen the m.g.p. abbreviation anywhere else, only the fil.6.m. abbreviation - and that only in the marriage records. I am assuming the fil. is short for filius, but I haven't been able to find 6.m. in a longhand form yet. Thanks for the advice though, I'll keep my eyes open.

      Orest

      > Orest,
      >
      > Read all the entries for a case when the priest may have not abbreviated m.g.p., or had a partial abbreviation.

      > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "kozulich" <kozulich@> wrote:
      > >
      > > For what its worth, I have seen this same abbreviation used on other records by the same priest.
      > >
      > > Orest
      > >
      > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Kreshchishin" <vkresh@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Orest, the record was written in Latin. I want to make comment on the
      > > > phrase: "fil. 6. m." "fil." is a part of the word "filius". In Latin
      > > > language "filius" is "son" in English language. What you see as "6" can be
      > > > also the letter "b". So the abbreviation can also look like "b.m." I read
      > > > many old metrical records in Russian and Ukrainian. From my experience of
      > > > reading old records in Russian and Ukrainian I can understand that the Latin
      > > > abbreviation with the letter "m" can mean that his father died. Possibly we
      > > > need to understand this:
      > > >
      > > > Joannes Zabicz is a son of late Georgiy Zabizc.
      > > >
      > > > In Latin language "morior", "mori" means "to die" in English.

    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 27 , May 30 11:30 AM
        --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "kozulich" <kozulich@...> wrote:

        > I have uploaded a sheet from a metrical marriage record 1877 marriage
        > record
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GaliciaPoland-Ukraine/photos/album/156108\
        > 5826/pic/1670468215/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20\
        > &dir=asc> . The groom of interest is Joannes Zabicz, 2nd from the top.
        > He is listed with the following (as best I can make it out):
        > Joannes Zabicz m.g.p. 77 legionem Archiducis Salvator fil. 6. m. Georgii
        > Zabicz etc.
        >
        > I'm looking for some hints. I've determined that this is the 77th
        > infantry regiment named after Archduke Karl Salvator (Erzherzog Karl
        > Salvator), but I don't know what the abbreviations "m.g.p." or "fil. 6.
        > m." denote.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Orest

        Welcome!.
        I will start with some transliteration of surnames and place names. In Polish, Ukrainian and Russian is the desired point "¿" (read: zsh), which does not exist in English. The letter "¿" in Polish is a vowel. Besides this, there is the letter "rz", " (read: "zsh") which is consonant. In Russian as in the words " zshelezhnyj", " zshena " etc. The surname Jan (John) ¯abicz (read: Zshabich) is a Polish name derived from the word "¿aba" ( " frog " , in Russian" liagushka".
        On 6 February 1877 married: Jan (John) ¯abicz (read: Zshabich), mgp legion from 79 Archduke Salvator, son of Georgi (in Polish: Georgi is Jerzy (read: Yezshy, in English: George) ¯abicz (read: read: Zshabich) and Anna ¯abicz (read: Zshabich ) from a colony (read: Zshucotyn), and Irina, the widow of Pantelemon Baran, daughter of Jan (John) Szeba (read: Sheba) and Yekaterina Szeba (read: Sheba) from colony ¯ukotyn Bere¿ek (read: Berezsheck) - (not Berezok!). Witness the wedding (Nomina) were: Zachariasz (Zachariah) Budz and Georgina from colony ¯ukotyn (read: Zshucotyn).

        May 29, 1877 married: Theodore ¯abicz called Wencel, son of Roman ¯abicz and Martha de Hobreje ¯abicz from colony ¯ukotyn and Anastasia, daughter of Theodore and Maria de Ko³ytczak Bilakic Ko³ytczak from colony ¯ukotyn (read: Zshucothyn).
        Andrew Olejarz
      • kozulich
        Message 3 of 27 , May 30 7:39 PM
          I have come across a possibility:
          m.g.p. might stand for "miles gregarius pedestris"
          which would mean "common foot soldier" or "common infantryman".
          "miles gregarius eques" would be a "common cavalryman".

          According to Gerald Ortell it was common practice to spell this out for military men getting married. He doesn't mention the abbreviation, but it fits.

          Orest

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 1, 2011
            http://www.genealogy.ro/dictionary/lat_eng_m.htm

            http://books.google.com/books?id=oXlii1KgDngC&pg=PA284&lpg=PA284&dq=pedestris++soldier&source=bl&ots=4nUcOQZG4v&sig=L--uKdOagbwju6LZXMeKFJVGP4A&hl=en&ei=ij_mTe32CdP2gAfy9bCcCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=pedestris%20%20soldier&f=false

            http://www.legionxxiv.org/glossaryM/

            http://www.roman-colosseum.info/roman-army/roman-army-ranks.htm

            http://books.google.com/books?id=8VoSAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA251&lpg=RA1-PA251&dq=miles+gregarius+latin&source=bl&ots=aOgzl_NunQ&sig=-paiAuJtSBPobdOLD6OqXR-gQGw&hl=en&ei=rD7mTcL2EIPZgAeY2YDpCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&sqi=2&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 1, 2011
              http://books.google.com/books?id=loAUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA769&lpg=PA769&dq=Latin+Miles+common+soldier&source=bl&ots=SOZ4AOELzw&sig=m87-Tb5hqLkEDTwBjduvMNffxbc&hl=en&ei=IUTmTZjBE4nHgAeIzqScCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Latin%20Miles%20common%20soldier&f=false

              > http://www.genealogy.ro/dictionary/lat_eng_m.htm
              >
              > http://books.google.com/books?id=oXlii1KgDngC&pg=PA284&lpg=PA284&dq=pedestris++soldier&source=bl&ots=4nUcOQZG4v&sig=L--uKdOagbwju6LZXMeKFJVGP4A&hl=en&ei=ij_mTe32CdP2gAfy9bCcCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=pedestris%20%20soldier&f=false
              >

              > http://www.legionxxiv.org/glossaryM/
              >

              > http://www.roman-colosseum.info/roman-army/roman-army-ranks.htm
              >

              > http://books.google.com/books?id=8VoSAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA251&lpg=RA1-PA251&dq=miles+gregarius+latin&source=bl&ots=aOgzl_NunQ&sig=-paiAuJtSBPobdOLD6OqXR-gQGw&hl=en&ei=rD7mTcL2EIPZgAeY2YDpCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&sqi=2&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
              >

              > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "kozulich" <kozulich@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have come across a possibility:
              > > m.g.p. might stand for "miles gregarius pedestris"
              > > which would mean "common foot soldier" or "common infantryman".
              > > "miles gregarius eques" would be a "common cavalryman".
              > >
              > > According to Gerald Ortell it was common practice to spell this out for military men getting married. He doesn't mention the abbreviation, but it fits.
              > >
              > > Orest
              > >
              > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Orest,
              > > >
              > > > Read all the entries for a case when the priest may have not abbreviated m.g.p., or had a partial abbreviation.
              > > >
              > > > ______
              > > >
              > > > Lavrentiy

            • kozulich
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 1, 2011
                So, if this is correct, he was basically a private in an infantry regiment.

                > http://www.genealogy.ro/dictionary/lat_eng_m.htm
                >
                > http://books.google.com/books?id=oXlii1KgDngC&pg=PA284&lpg=PA284&dq=pedestris++soldier&source=bl&ots=4nUcOQZG4v&sig=L--uKdOagbwju6LZXMeKFJVGP4A&hl=en&ei=ij_mTe32CdP2gAfy9bCcCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=pedestris%20%20soldier&f=false
                >

                > http://www.legionxxiv.org/glossaryM/
                >

                > http://www.roman-colosseum.info/roman-army/roman-army-ranks.htm
                >

                > http://books.google.com/books?id=8VoSAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA251&lpg=RA1-PA251&dq=miles+gregarius+latin&source=bl&ots=aOgzl_NunQ&sig=-paiAuJtSBPobdOLD6OqXR-gQGw&hl=en&ei=rD7mTcL2EIPZgAeY2YDpCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&sqi=2&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
                >

                > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "kozulich" <kozulich@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have come across a possibility:
                > > m.g.p. might stand for "miles gregarius pedestris"
                > > which would mean "common foot soldier" or "common infantryman".
                > > "miles gregarius eques" would be a "common cavalryman".
                > >
                > > According to Gerald Ortell it was common practice to spell this out for military men getting married. He doesn't mention the abbreviation, but it fits.
                > >
                > > Orest
                > >
                > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Orest,
                > > >
                > > > Read all the entries for a case when the priest may have not abbreviated m.g.p., or had a partial abbreviation.
                > > >
                > > > ______
                > > >
                > > > Lavrentiy

              • kozulich
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 1, 2011
                  Thank you Andrew, for your translation.

                  However, the name of the village today is most definitely Berezhok. In cyrillic spelled Бережок and that's the way it is pronounced by the local populace.

                  Actually, its quite an oddity, because if you read the certification pages and title pages for the metrical books, the name is written Berezok in latin letters or Бережок in cyrillic letters, even though the individual entries are written Berezek - presumably by the same priest.

                  Orest

                  --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <andrzej_olejarz@...> wrote:
                  Bere¿ek (read: Berezsheck) - (not Berezok!).
                • Danuta Janina Wójcik
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011
                    Witaj Orest,
                    The village Bereżek and Żukotyn were in the same gmina.

                    village: Bereżek

                    gmina Łomna, county turczański, voivodeship lwowskie
                    Roman Catholic parishes:
                    a.. Wołkowyja Najświetszego Serca Jezusowego
                    Greek Catholic parishes:

                    a.. Łomna Soboru św. Jana Chrzciciela
                    gmina Łomna

                    Administrative membership:

                    county turczański, voivodeship lwowskie

                    Seat:

                    village Łomna

                    Places:
                    - village Bereżek
                    - estate Boberka
                    - village Boberka
                    - Bolenkowica
                    - Buczkowina
                    - Budzowina
                    - village Bystre
                    - village Chaszczów
                    - estate Dniestrzyk Dębowy
                    - village Dniestrzyk Dębowy
                    - village Dniestrzyk Hołowiecki
                    - village Grąziowa
                    - Jurków Potok
                    - village Lipie
                    - Łanek
                    - village Łomna
                    - village Łopuszanka Lechniowa
                    - village Michniowiec
                    - Pod Czekilową
                    - Pod Koszarami
                    - Sołtystwo
                    - Zarubaniec
                    - village Żukotyn

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011
                      Orest, here is a map to show the proximity of the villages, you are researching.

                      http://www.stankiewicze.com/ludobojstwo/turka.html

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011

                        Berezhok was Berez~ek on Polish maps. Berezek was also the official Austrian place name.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_army_unit_types

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011
                            http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/index.htm

                            http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Austrian_army.htm#_and_its_privates_officers_and_generals

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Hungarian_Army

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011
                              Orest,

                              Inform Roman that Boiko region also extends into parts of Poland and Slovakia.

                              http://folkcostume.blogspot.com/2011/05/orest-and-cheryls-wedding-costume-boiko.html

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011
                                Yes, and they also had the same parish priest.

                                Orest

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011
                                  Yes, there is, in actuality, no separation between the two villages. Only a sign reveals that you are leaving one and entering the other.

                                  Orest

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 2, 2011
                                    He knows.

                                    Orest

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 3, 2011
                                      Orest,

                                      I'm not sure if he does know... for he wrote:

                                      "The Boiko region covers three counties in L'viw Oblast, plus the mountainous part of Ivano-Frankiwsk Oblast".

                                      Boiko region includes the above and extends into far southeastern Poland, far northeastern part of Slovakia and the northern parts of Transcarpathian oblast.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 3, 2011
                                        Map showing Boiko region is provided here:

                                        file name: Boiko Region.tif

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 3, 2011
                                          Orest,

                                          My error:

                                          Roman does mention that Boiko region extends into southeastern Poland:

                                          "The Boiko region covers three counties in L'viw Oblast, plus the mountainous part of Ivano-Frankiwsk Oblast,.... and the extreme southeast corner of Poland,..."

                                          He should mention that Boiko region extends to northeastern Slovakia and north parts of Transcarpathian oblast.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 3, 2011
                                            Boiko region:

                                            http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/display.asp?linkpath=pages\B\O\Boikos.htm

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 3, 2011
                                              Feel free to leave a clarifying comment on his blog.

                                              Orest