Re: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] Original Spelling

  • Jadzia Butcher
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2011
      Hi Dolores,

      Kusziak is highly unlikely; Kusciak with an accent on the s is much more probable. It would be pronounced Kushchak.

      Regards,

      Jadzia

      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2011
        The name could be Kutsiak (Uk.); Kuciak (Pol.); Куцяк (Cyrillic).

        Zelinski is a common name in Ukraine.

        What is the name of the village, town or region in Galicia?

        Sylvia

        Message 3 of 8 , May 30, 2011
          Here is a list of all likely (and some quite unlikely) cases of surnames
          found in the Rymut (2002) database of people residing in Poland with
          that name, ordered by population counts.

          The list was generated by searching the database for all names that:
          1. Begin with 'Ku';
          2. Follow with the letter c, ć, d, s, ś, z, ż, or ź;
          3. Contain 0-2 arbitrary letters;
          4. End with -iak.

          > 1: 6167 = ( 3006, 3161); Kusiak
          > 2: 2030 = ( 974, 1056); Kuźniak
          > 3: 828 = ( 402, 426); Kuchciak
          > 4: 632 = ( 315, 317); Kuciak
          > 5: 588 = ( 290, 298); Kuziak
          > 6: 477 = ( 235, 242); Kuźmiak
          > 7: 323 = ( 158, 165); Kuchniak
          > 8: 90 = ( 47, 43); Kuzaniak
          > 9: 69 = ( 36, 33); Kucyniak
          > 10: 47 = ( 26, 21); Kuczniak
          > 11: 33 = ( 16, 17); Kużniak
          > 12: 13 = ( 7, 6); Kuzniak
          > 13: 9 = ( 4, 5); Kuchtiak
          > 14: 9 = ( 7, 2); Kudaciak
          > 15: 8 = ( 3, 5); Kuzyniak
          > 16: 2 = ( 1, 1); Kuczmiak
          > 17: 2 = ( 1, 1); Kudziak
          > 18: 2 = ( 1, 1); Kużmiak
          > 19: 1 = ( 1, 0); Kudiak
          > 20: 1 = ( 1, 0); Kuzmiak

          Any other spelling not in this list would be highly unlikely.

          Roman

          On 5/29/2011 4:07 PM, D. A. Reimer wrote:

          > A friend of my son has asked for help with researching his family. The
          > surname is Kustiak - anglicized. There are some really experienced
          > researchers on this list, what would you think could be the original
          > spelling? There is some hint that the t might be a ch .... could Kusziak
          > be a possibility? The family says they come from Galicia. Other surnames
          > include Zelinski.
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Dolores

        • Danuta Janina Wójcik
          Message 4 of 8 , May 30, 2011
            Witaj Dolores,

            The surname may be Kuszyk.

            Other possiblities are: Kuszek, Kuszak.

            Zelinski is spelled with the dot on the Z and accent on the "n".

            pozdrawiam,
            Danuta

            Message 5 of 8 , May 30, 2011
              Surname Kusciak does not exist. Another possiblity is Kuszczak, Kuszczyk

              Kusziak is highly unlikely; Kusciak with an accent on the s is much more probable. It would be pronounced Kushchak.

              Regards,

              Jadzia

              A friend of my son has asked for help with researching his family. The
              surname is Kustiak - anglicized. There are some really experienced
              researchers on this list, what would you think could be the original
              spelling? There is some hint that the t might be a ch .... could Kusziak
              be a possibility? The family says they come from Galicia. Other surnames
              include Zelinski.

              Any help would be appreciated.

              Thanks
              Dolores

            • Vladimir Kreshchishin
              Message 6 of 8 , May 31, 2011
                I read the question and answers and then I look through surnames and found
                quite a few surnames (in Cyrillic), which I am sending now with encoding of
                Cyrillic UTF-8. Read please:

                Кустак (Kustak)
                Кущак (Kushchak)
                Кушак (Kushak)
                Кузяк (Kuziak)
                Кучак (Kuchak)

                "sz" is possibly Polish combination of letters to reproduce a sound that is
                reproduced as combination of English letters "sh". There is a surname
                Zelinskiy (Зелинский) too.

                Possibly they arrived in Canada from Ternopil area, Lviv area or
                Ivano-Frankivsk area. These are the areas of Eastern Galicia that until 1919
                belonged to Austria and from 1919 to 1939 it belonged to Poland. From those
                areas many people immigrated to England, Canada, USA, often to fix
                themselves in a job in those countries, who energetically developed their
                economy and industrial companies often sent recruiting agents to Eastern
                Galicia to offer jobs (in metal industry, agriculture, building companies)
                to people and the people gladly agreed because in their country they often
                could not make ends meet.

                Vova (Volodymyr or Vladimir)

                Try to obtain church records, like marriage and baptismal registrations,
                in the area where the Kustiak immigrants resided.

                Obtain the landing record and other Canadian records.

                --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "D. A. Reimer" <tbook@...>

                database 5151 (20100527) __________

                http://www.eset.com

                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5151 (20100527) __________