Original Spelling

  • D. A. Reimer
    Message 1 of 8 , May 29, 2011
      A friend of my son has asked for help with researching his family. The
      surname is Kustiak - anglicized. There are some really experienced
      researchers on this list, what would you think could be the original
      spelling? There is some hint that the t might be a ch .... could Kusziak
      be a possibility? The family says they come from Galicia. Other surnames
      include Zelinski.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks
      Dolores
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2011
        Dolores,

        Try to obtain church records, like marriage and baptismal registrations, in the area where the Kustiak immigrants resided.

        Obtain the landing record and other Canadian records.

        --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "D. A. Reimer" <tbook@...> wrote:

        > A friend of my son has asked for help with researching his family. The
        > surname is Kustiak - anglicized. There are some really experienced
        > researchers on this list, what would you think could be the original
        > spelling? There is some hint that the t might be a ch .... could Kusziak
        > be a possibility? The family says they come from Galicia. Other surnames
        > include Zelinski.
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Dolores

      • Jadzia Butcher
        Message 3 of 8 , May 30, 2011
          Hi Dolores,

          Kusziak is highly unlikely; Kusciak with an accent on the s is much more probable. It would be pronounced Kushchak.

          Regards,

          Jadzia

          Message 4 of 8 , May 30, 2011
            The name could be Kutsiak (Uk.); Kuciak (Pol.); Куцяк (Cyrillic).

            Zelinski is a common name in Ukraine.

            What is the name of the village, town or region in Galicia?

            Sylvia

            Message 5 of 8 , May 30, 2011
              Here is a list of all likely (and some quite unlikely) cases of surnames
              found in the Rymut (2002) database of people residing in Poland with
              that name, ordered by population counts.

              The list was generated by searching the database for all names that:
              1. Begin with 'Ku';
              2. Follow with the letter c, ć, d, s, ś, z, ż, or ź;
              3. Contain 0-2 arbitrary letters;
              4. End with -iak.

              > 1: 6167 = ( 3006, 3161); Kusiak
              > 2: 2030 = ( 974, 1056); Kuźniak
              > 3: 828 = ( 402, 426); Kuchciak
              > 4: 632 = ( 315, 317); Kuciak
              > 5: 588 = ( 290, 298); Kuziak
              > 6: 477 = ( 235, 242); Kuźmiak
              > 7: 323 = ( 158, 165); Kuchniak
              > 8: 90 = ( 47, 43); Kuzaniak
              > 9: 69 = ( 36, 33); Kucyniak
              > 10: 47 = ( 26, 21); Kuczniak
              > 11: 33 = ( 16, 17); Kużniak
              > 12: 13 = ( 7, 6); Kuzniak
              > 13: 9 = ( 4, 5); Kuchtiak
              > 14: 9 = ( 7, 2); Kudaciak
              > 15: 8 = ( 3, 5); Kuzyniak
              > 16: 2 = ( 1, 1); Kuczmiak
              > 17: 2 = ( 1, 1); Kudziak
              > 18: 2 = ( 1, 1); Kużmiak
              > 19: 1 = ( 1, 0); Kudiak
              > 20: 1 = ( 1, 0); Kuzmiak

              Any other spelling not in this list would be highly unlikely.

              Roman

              On 5/29/2011 4:07 PM, D. A. Reimer wrote:

              > A friend of my son has asked for help with researching his family. The
              > surname is Kustiak - anglicized. There are some really experienced
              > researchers on this list, what would you think could be the original
              > spelling? There is some hint that the t might be a ch .... could Kusziak
              > be a possibility? The family says they come from Galicia. Other surnames
              > include Zelinski.
              >
              > Any help would be appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Dolores

            • Danuta Janina Wójcik
              Message 6 of 8 , May 30, 2011
                Witaj Dolores,

                The surname may be Kuszyk.

                Other possiblities are: Kuszek, Kuszak.

                Zelinski is spelled with the dot on the Z and accent on the "n".

                pozdrawiam,
                Danuta

                Message 7 of 8 , May 30, 2011
                  Surname Kusciak does not exist. Another possiblity is Kuszczak, Kuszczyk

                  Kusziak is highly unlikely; Kusciak with an accent on the s is much more probable. It would be pronounced Kushchak.

                  Regards,

                  Jadzia

                  A friend of my son has asked for help with researching his family. The
                  surname is Kustiak - anglicized. There are some really experienced
                  researchers on this list, what would you think could be the original
                  spelling? There is some hint that the t might be a ch .... could Kusziak
                  be a possibility? The family says they come from Galicia. Other surnames
                  include Zelinski.

                  Any help would be appreciated.

                  Thanks
                  Dolores

                • Vladimir Kreshchishin
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 31, 2011
                    I read the question and answers and then I look through surnames and found
                    quite a few surnames (in Cyrillic), which I am sending now with encoding of
                    Cyrillic UTF-8. Read please:

                    Кустак (Kustak)
                    Кущак (Kushchak)
                    Кушак (Kushak)
                    Кузяк (Kuziak)
                    Кучак (Kuchak)

                    "sz" is possibly Polish combination of letters to reproduce a sound that is
                    reproduced as combination of English letters "sh". There is a surname
                    Zelinskiy (Зелинский) too.

                    Possibly they arrived in Canada from Ternopil area, Lviv area or
                    Ivano-Frankivsk area. These are the areas of Eastern Galicia that until 1919
                    belonged to Austria and from 1919 to 1939 it belonged to Poland. From those
                    areas many people immigrated to England, Canada, USA, often to fix
                    themselves in a job in those countries, who energetically developed their
                    economy and industrial companies often sent recruiting agents to Eastern
                    Galicia to offer jobs (in metal industry, agriculture, building companies)
                    to people and the people gladly agreed because in their country they often
                    could not make ends meet.

                    Vova (Volodymyr or Vladimir)

                    database 5151 (20100527) __________

                    http://www.eset.com