Uniform Question

  • Bob & Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2004
      At one time someone listed a place where one could view various uniforms to
      decide what country they are from. I've lost that link. I did a quick
      search in the archives for "uniforms" but nothing was found. Can someone
      re-list it please. In the meantime, I received in the mail today a surprise
      Christmas present. A previously unknown cousin found, through my genealogy
      research, has given me photos of my grandfather and one of my grandmother
      with 4 of her 5 children. (My father was born here a few years later). But
      we are unable to figure out what uniform he might be in, if it was for real,
      or one just at a photographer's studio. The photo looks more like a
      painting, or an early type of photography. It would have been in the early
      1900's, but that is all we know. Would someone please take a look and give
      me their best guess. It is uploaded into our group's area to post photos,
      and is listed Andrej Varsa. Thanks in advance.

      Marilyn

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 24, 2004

        Bob & Marilyn Hertenstein wrote:

        > At one time someone listed a place where one could view various uniforms to
        > decide what country they are from. I've lost that link. I did a quick
        > search in the archives for "uniforms" but nothing was found. Can someone
        > re-list it please. In the meantime, I received in the mail today a surprise
        > Christmas present. A previously unknown cousin found, through my genealogy
        > research, has given me photos of my grandfather and one of my grandmother
        > with 4 of her 5 children. (My father was born here a few years later). But
        > we are unable to figure out what uniform he might be in, if it was for real,
        > or one just at a photographer's studio. The photo looks more like a
        > painting, or an early type of photography. It would have been in the early
        > 1900's, but that is all we know. Would someone please take a look and give
        > me their best guess. It is uploaded into our group's area to post photos,
        > and is listed Andrej Varsa. Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Marilyn
      • a_spry
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 24, 2004
          Marilyn,

          I don't know anything about the uniform but the photo looks to me
          like some that my grandmother had. She took old black and white
          photos and "colored" them with watercolers or something. So it could
          be that the photo you have was "Colorized" at some later date and the
          uniform was embellished. I don't know if that helps at all but
          that's just my initial reaction to the photo.

          It's really cool that your cousin sent that to you. A second cousin
          to my father sent me a photo from 1929 when her father went back to
          Ukraine to visit his mother. The photo is wonderful. It shows the
          women working in the field wearing their babushkas and it's just
          exactly what I had envisioned them to look like at that time.

          Good luck with your research and happy holidays!

          Alida

          --- In Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Bob & Marilyn

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
            Bob & Marilyn Hertenstein wrote:

            > At one time someone listed a place where one could view various uniforms to
            > decide what country they are from. I've lost that link. I did a quick
            > search in the archives for "uniforms" but nothing was found. Can someone
            > re-list it please. In the meantime, I received in the mail today a surprise
            > Christmas present. A previously unknown cousin found, through my genealogy
            > research, has given me photos of my grandfather and one of my grandmother
            > with 4 of her 5 children. (My father was born here a few years later). But
            > we are unable to figure out what uniform he might be in, if it was for real,
            > or one just at a photographer's studio. The photo looks more like a
            > painting, or an early type of photography. It would have been in the early
            > 1900's, but that is all we know. Would someone please take a look and give
            > me their best guess. It is uploaded into our group's area to post photos,
            > and is listed Andrej Varsa. Thanks in advance.
            >
            > Marilyn

            ***********

            GERMAN-BOHEMIAN] Map and Uniforms URL
            Date:
            Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:20:44 EST
            From:
            KarenHob@...
            To:
            GERMAN-BOHEMIAN-L@...

            I found the URL for the Austrian Recruiting map and uniform photos:

            http://www.kuk-wehrmacht.de/regiment/

            The map is for the period after 1883 when there wee 102 regiments. It
            remained virtually the same until World War I.

            There are also pictures of Austrian soldiers in uniform at the same
            website.

            Karen

            Forgotten how to UNSUBSCRIBE?
          • Bob & Marilyn Hertenstein
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
              Here's an update in case anyone is interested in the answer to this uniform
              question. A kind soul, Glenn, found the answers and forwarded the
              information to me. So in case any of you have a similar photo and wondered
              what army it was, here's what our conclusion is:
              =====

              Although the photograph has obviously been hand coloured it is possible to
              draw some conclusions) always assuming the colours are generally correct.

              The photograph depicts a private solder or Infanterist in an "Hungarian"
              infantry regiment of the Austro-Hungarian Imperial and Royal Army. The term
              "Hungarian" does not necessarily mean he was of Hungarian nationality but
              was in a regiment recruited from the Hungarian administered part of the
              Monarchy. He wears red facings and gold buttons. Depending on how accurate
              the depiction of the red colour is would determine his actual regiment. See
              the table here for regimental facings and button colours for a match:

              <http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/facings.htm>
              http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/facings.htm

              The lace on his cuffs were known as "Bears Paws" and were a distinctive part
              of the "Hungarian" infantry uniform as were the tight Hungarian trousers
              with the knot on the thigh called "Vitéz-kötés". He wears a qaulification
              lanyard and cockade:

              <http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/badges/lanyard1.htm>
              http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/badges/lanyard1.htm

              The original photograph shows a peace-time uniform and would probably
              therefore date the photograph as just prior to WW1.

              =====

              Many thanks to Glenn and this group for their interest and help.

              Marilyn

              _____

              &.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/>
              &.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

              Bob & Marilyn Hertenstein wrote:

              > At one time someone listed a place where one could view various uniforms
              > decide what country they are from. I've lost that link. I did a quick
              > search in the archives for "uniforms" but nothing was found. Can someone
              > re-list it please. In the meantime, I received in the mail today a
              surprise
              > Christmas present. A previously unknown cousin found, through my
              genealogy
              > research, has given me photos of my grandfather and one of my grandmother
              > with 4 of her 5 children. (My father was born here a few years later).
              But
              > we are unable to figure out what uniform he might be in, if it was for
              real,
              > or one just at a photographer's studio. The photo looks more like a
              > painting, or an early type of photography. It would have been in the
              early
              > 1900's, but that is all we know. Would someone please take a look and
              give
              > me their best guess. It is uploaded into our group's area to post photos,
              > and is listed Andrej Varsa. Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Marilyn

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294t6lfh/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705132737:HM/EXP=1103983921/A=2495208/R=0/SIG=11egg01lg/*http://www.
              netflix.com/Default?mqso=60188914> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2495208/rand=112934176>

              be>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .