John Seferyn from Poland

  • maria
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30 11:49 AM
      I am searching for the village in Poland John Seferyn immigrated from. He arrived about 1900 in Armstrong County, PA. and worked in a coal mine there in NuMine. He married Elizabety (Lizzie) Washlewski there, I believe. His death certificate in 1926 states his father's name is Martin and only Poland as his country of origin, no village. I would greatly appreciate any help offered.

      Sincerely, Marie
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30 1:33 PM
        Marie,

        On the 1900, 1910 and 1920 US census, what year(s) is/are given as the year when John enetered the US?

        Did you try Morse?:

        http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

        or

        http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/elliswhite.html

        When John enetered the US, his first name was not John, but was either Ivan, or Iwan, or Jan. Via Morse I see a Twan (sic) Serafin that could be a candidate.

        --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "maria" <beachcondo9@...> wrote:

        > I am searching for the village in Poland John Seferyn immigrated from. He arrived about 1900 in Armstrong County, PA. and worked in a coal mine there in NuMine. He married Elizabety (Lizzie) Washlewski there, I believe. His death certificate in 1926 states his father's name is Martin and only Poland as his country of origin, no village. I would greatly appreciate any help offered.
        >
        > Sincerely, Marie

      • maria
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 30 3:04 PM
          Lavrentiy,

          I have only the 1920 census and it says he entered in 1900 as nearly as I can make out. This I did several years back and didn't realize I needed to look at the earlier census also. I have tried Morse recently and the only name I could find was Jan Szafran, which sounds phonetically the same, and the village is Wolki but I couldn't check it.

          I did look under Jan as I felt that's what it probably was. Serafin I'm not sure is correct. I googled the Seferyn name and there are about 56 people there in Poland with that name spelling. Right now I am looking at information in Armstrong Co., Pa., hoping I can find records in the church there or the mining company.

          Marie

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 30 3:26 PM

            Find John's 1900 and 1910 census to get other possible years when he entered.

            Seferyn/Seferin could also be spelled Seweryn/Szeweryn/etc.

            Ignore my earlier suggestion about searching for Serafin as a possible surname spelling.

            Upload an image of the 1920 census to the group's File section.

            --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "maria" <beachcondo9@...> wrote:

            > Lavrentiy,
            >
            > I have only the 1920 census and it says he entered in 1900 as nearly as I can make out. This I did several years back and didn't realize I needed to look at the earlier census also. I have tried Morse recently and the only name I could find was Jan Szafran, which sounds phonetically the same, and the village is Wolki but I couldn't check it.
            >
            > I did look under Jan as I felt that's what it probably was. Serafin I'm not sure is correct. I googled the Seferyn name and there are about 56 people there in Poland with that name spelling. Right now I am looking at information in Armstrong Co., Pa., hoping I can find records in the church there or the mining company.
            >
            > Marie
            >
            > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Marie,
            > >
            > > On the 1900, 1910 and 1920 US census, what year(s) is/are given as the year when John enetered the US?
            > >
            > > Did you try Morse?:
            > >
            > > http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
            > >

            > > or
            > >

            > > http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/elliswhite.html
            > >

            > > When John enetered the US, his first name was not John, but was either Ivan, or Iwan, or Jan. Via Morse I see a Twan (sic) Serafin that could be a candidate.
            > >
            > > _______
            > >
            > > Lavrentiy
            > >

            > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "maria" <beachcondo9@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I am searching for the village in Poland John Seferyn immigrated from. He arrived about 1900 in Armstrong County, PA. and worked in a coal mine there in NuMine. He married Elizabety (Lizzie) Washlewski there, I believe. His death certificate in 1926 states his father's name is Martin and only Poland as his country of origin, no village. I would greatly appreciate any help offered.
            > > >
            > > > Sincerely, Marie

          • Mary
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 30 4:25 PM
              Marie,

              Check out Seferins from Lipa at Ellis Island search; all going to Warrior Run, where John Soferen, Lizzie, and children were living in 1910 census.  John and Elizabeth were married about 1905 according to that census, if you want to check church records in Armstrong County.  It's about 160 miles to NuMine from Warrior Run, so I'm not sure about how it worked for John Seferyn to have been there.  Where did he die?

              Note that the Seferins who arrived in June, 1899, including John, were all traveling on The Pennsylvania.

              Listed by Ellis Island (http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html?)
              Jon Sefaim (actual handwriting could be Sofarin) from Lipa, Russian occupied Poland going to father Martin Saferin in Warrior Run
              http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=603385090088

              Martin's wife Tekla and daughter Franziska arriving in 1899 with Martin's nephew Adam:
              http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=603385090002

              Still trying to locate 1900 census with this family.

              Regards,
              Mary

              I have only the 1920 census and it says he entered in 1900 as nearly as I can make out.  This I did several years back and didn't realize I needed to look at the earlier census also.  I have tried Morse recently and the only name I could find was Jan Szafran, which sounds phonetically the same, and the village is Wolki but I couldn't check it.

              I did look under Jan as I felt that's what it probably was.  Serafin I'm not sure is correct.  I googled the Seferyn name and there are about 56 people there in Poland with that name spelling.  Right now I am looking at information in Armstrong Co., Pa., hoping I can find records in the church there or the mining company.

              Marie

              > Marie,
              >
              >     On the 1900, 1910 and 1920 US census, what year(s) is/are given as the year when John enetered the US?
              >
              >     Did you try Morse?:
              >
              > http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
              >

              > or
              >

              > http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/elliswhite.html
              >

              >      When John enetered the US, his first name was not John, but was either Ivan, or Iwan, or Jan.  Via Morse I see a Twan (sic) Serafin that could be a candidate.

              > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "maria" <beachcondo9@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am searching for the village in Poland  John Seferyn immigrated from.  He arrived about 1900 in Armstrong County, PA. and worked in a coal mine there in NuMine.  He married Elizabety (Lizzie) Washlewski there, I believe.  His death certificate in 1926 states his father's name is Martin and only Poland as his country of origin, no village.  I would greatly appreciate any help offered.
              > >
              > > Sincerely, Marie

            • Lorne & Sylvia
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 30 7:55 PM
                Maria,
                In Poland, there are 50 Seferyn in and 4134 Szafran. http://www.herby.com.pl/ In Ukraine, no Seferyn, and over many Szafran/Shafran.

                Laurence,
                In Ukraine there are many Severyn, and a few Sheveryn in Eastern Ukraine.
                In Poland, 4238 Seweryn, and 1 Szeweryn.

                Many Szafran and Seweryn were victims of Soviet Repression.

              • bacsiknj@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31 6:23 AM
                  There is a John Serafin who came from Pielgrzymka. That's probably not
                  your guy.

                • maria
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 31 6:58 AM
                    Lavrentiy,

                    I uploaded two files. I hope I did this correctly. I know that this is "John" because of the address and the wife, Lizzie, and the children. It's another spelling.

                    Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.

                    Marie
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 31 7:26 AM
                      Marie,

                      Columns 13 - 15 on the 1920 US census provide:

                      13: year of immigration

                      14: naturalized or alien

                      15: if naturalized, the year of naturalization.

                      What is recorded for John in columns 13 - 15?

                      Also, search for and provide an image of his 1910 census record (and 1900 census record).

                      _________

                      Lavrentiy

                      --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "maria" <beachcondo9@...> wrote:

                      > Lavrentiy,
                      >
                      > I uploaded two files. I hope I did this correctly. I know that this is "John" because of the address and the wife, Lizzie, and the children. It's another spelling.
                      >
                      > Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.
                      >
                      > Marie

                    • maria
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 31 9:32 AM
                        Lavrentiy,

                        I copied those records several times trying to get a clearer one at the Library in Luzerne Co, PA, when I was there several years ago. They had the records for the county. It looks to me like he was never naturalized judging by the visible letter and comparing with others on that page. I am uploading another paper to files that I got at the time on a short trial with Ancestry.com.

                        Marie

                        > Marie,
                        >
                        > Columns 13 - 15 on the 1920 US census provide:
                        >

                        > 13: year of immigration
                        >
                        > 14: naturalized or alien
                        >
                        > 15: if naturalized, the year of naturalization.
                        >

                        > What is recorded for John in columns 13 - 15?
                        >

                        > Also, search for and provide an image of his 1910 census record (and 1900 census record).
                        >
                        > _________
                        >
                        > Lavrentiy
                        >

                        > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "maria" <beachcondo9@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Lavrentiy,
                        > >
                        > > I uploaded two files. I hope I did this correctly. I know that this is "John" because of the address and the wife, Lizzie, and the children. It's another spelling.
                        > >
                        > > Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.
                        > >
                        > > Marie

                      • Mary
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 31 9:47 AM
                          1910 Census: indexed as John Soferen through Heritage Quest; Luzerne, Warrior Run Boro
                          1900 Census:  indexed as John Sewere through Heritage Quest; handwriting looks like Servere; Luzerne Co., Hanover Twp.; living with Martin and Tekla Servere/Sewere; Martin b. 1849 Russia Poland; Tekla, b. 1864; Russia Poland; John, boarder, b. 1874 Russia Poland.  Both Tekla and John list 1899 as date of arrival in America.  Tekla had borne only one child, who was not alive in the 1900 census; seems that John would have been born to first wife of Martin.  Also, there is an 1897 entry for Marzaim (sp) Seferin at Ellis Island.
                          http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=103205150217

                          Mary

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 31 9:53 AM
                            Mary,

                            OK...great. So John entered before 1900.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 31 10:00 AM
                              Marie,

                              From Ancestry.com website, download the 1920 census record image to your computer, then upload that image to the group's files section.

                              --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "maria" <beachcondo9@...> wrote:

                              > Lavrentiy,
                              >
                              > I copied those records several times trying to get a clearer one at the Library in Luzerne Co, PA, when I was there several years ago. They had the records for the county. It looks to me like he was never naturalized judging by the visible letter and comparing with others on that page. I am uploading another paper to files that I got at the time on a short trial with Ancestry.com.
                              >
                              > Marie
                              >
                              > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Marie,
                              > >
                              > > Columns 13 - 15 on the 1920 US census provide:
                              > >

                              > > 13: year of immigration
                              > >
                              > > 14: naturalized or alien
                              > >
                              > > 15: if naturalized, the year of naturalization.
                              > >

                              > > What is recorded for John in columns 13 - 15?
                              > >

                              > > Also, search for and provide an image of his 1910 census record (and 1900 census record).
                              > >
                              > > _________
                              > >
                              > > Lavrentiy
                              > >

                              > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "maria" <beachcondo9@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Lavrentiy,
                              > > >
                              > > > I uploaded two files. I hope I did this correctly. I know that this is "John" because of the address and the wife, Lizzie, and the children. It's another spelling.
                              > > >
                              > > > Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.
                              > > >
                              > > > Marie

                            • maria
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 31 10:05 AM
                                Mary,

                                The only family history that was told to me was that they were in NuMine, armstrong co., when the son Joseph was born and baptised there in an Italian church. I have a copy. Then Lizzie had a sister Kate in Warrior Run who told her to come there because there was work in the mines for John. They moved there and John died in 1924 and was buried there. Lizzie remarried and died in 1961. She still only spoke Polish. We know of no other Seferyn's there except for a recent encounter (long story) with a person's wife who wanted the name of her husband on a veteran's memorial spelled "Seferyn" as she said it's the real spelling of her name. No one knew who she was or what happened to her after that. A little mystery there.

                                thanks, Marie

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 31 10:07 AM
                                  Mary found:

                                  > Also, there is an 1897 entry for Marzaim (sp) Seferin at Ellis Island.
                                  > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=103205150217
                                  >
                                  > Mary

                                  *********

                                  The port of embarkation was Hanburg. Hamburg emigration lists are available and should have his birth place/last residence.

                                • Mary
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 31 11:09 AM
                                    Since the John and Lizzie family was in Luzerne County in 1910 and 1920, and Joseph was born about 1918/1919 in NuMine, I'm wondering if you found any other children baptized in NuMine between 1910 and 1919.  If daughter Victoria was b. Luzerne County, marriage records may be in Hanover Twp. or Warrior Run.

                                    Check the Social Security Death Index for Seferyn; it's a good bet that anyone using that spelling is from this family.
                                    http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

                                    There are several Seferyns in that area of Pennsylvania when checking the online telephone directory at 411.com.

                                    You might check with your public library to see if you can access Heritage Quest at home and Ancestry at the library to find the referenced census records.  You can also check with the cemetery where John was buried to see what other family members can be found.

                                    Maybe this man is the mystery?
                                    STANLEY A. SEFERYN: Newspaper Obituary and Death Notice
                                    Buffalo News, The (NY) - March 25, 2000
                                    Deceased Name: STANLEY A. SEFERYN
                                    A memorial service for Stanley A. Seferyn, 83, of Irving, a retired Bethlehem Steel train engineer and a veteran of World War II, will be held at 1 p.m. today -- on what would have been his 84th birthday -- in the Samuel Cimono Veterans of Foreign Wars Post, 13 Main St.

                                    Seferyn, a native of Warrior Run, Pa., died Dec. 14, 1999, in Lake Shore Intercommunity Hospital in Irving after a long illness. He attended grade school in Warrior Run, a coal mining town, and then became a coal miner during the Great Depression. He enlisted in the Army in 1939 and later was to fight with the 117th Infantry Battalion in Europe.

                                    Seferyn received the Purple Heart Medal for leg wounds received in battle, and four Bronze Star Medals. He was first sergeant of his unit when he was discharged from the Army in 1945.

                                    After the war, he moved to Lackawanna, where he worked as a trainman and engineer in the Bethlehem plant.

                                    "He loved trains," said a stepgrandson, Robert R. Abbey of Irving. He added that Seferyn took it upon himself to help raise seven stepgrandchildren. "He was a wonderful role model."

                                    Seferyn worked at the Bethlehem plant for about 20 years until his retirement in 1980, Abbey said. He enjoyed gardening and belonged to the VFW.

                                    Edition: NIAGARA Page: A8 Copyright (c) 2000 The Buffalo News

                                    JOHN SEFERYN APRIL 13, 1999 JOHN S. (KELLY) SEFERYN, 78, OF NUANGOLA DIED TUESDAY AT MERCY HOSPITAL IN WILKES-BARRE.: Newspaper Obituary and Death Notice
                                    Times Leader, The (Wilkes Barre, PA) - April 14, 1999
                                    Deceased Name: JOHN SEFERYN APRIL 13, 1999 JOHN S. (KELLY) SEFERYN, 78, OF NUANGOLA DIED TUESDAY AT MERCY HOSPITAL IN WILKES-BARRE.
                                    JOHN SEFERYN

                                    April 13, 1999

                                    John S. (Kelly) Seferyn, 78, of Nuangola died Tuesday at Mercy Hospital in

                                    Wilkes-BarreBorn Jan. 3, 1921, in Warrior Run, he was a son of the late John and Elizabeth (Staskiel) Seferyn.

                                    He had worked with the Civilian Conservation Corps in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana before World War II. He was also employed in area coal mining operations at the Truesdale Breaker and the Glen-Nan Coal Co. in Newport Township prior to his retirement.

                                    He had resided in Nuangola for the past 45 years, and was a member of St. Jude's Roman Catholic Church in Mountaintop. He was also a former member of the Nuangola Fire Co.

                                    He was preceded in death by his wife, the former Frances Zdziarski; brothers, Joseph and Walter; and sisters, Julia Seferyn, Pauline Seferyn, Victoria Hutchko, Eleanor Witinski, Stella Witinski and Helen Good.

                                    Surviving are his sons, Ronald, Berwick; and David, Slocum; four grandchildren; brother, Stanley "Rich" Seferyn, Silver Springs, N.Y..

                                    Funeral services will be at 9:30 a.m. Friday from the McCune Funeral Home, 80 South Mountain Blvd., Mountaintop, with a funeral Mass at 10 a.m. at St. Ann's Church in Nuangola.

                                    Interment will be in St. Mary's Cemetery in Hanover Township.

                                    Friends may call from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday.

                                    Copyright (c) 1999 The Times Leader

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 31 1:36 PM
                                      Marie,

                                      Many public libraries offer HeritageQuestcom or Ancestry.com or both. HQ and Ancestry.com can often be accessed through the library's on-line resources via the library's website. Call your local library or visit the library's website to see what they offer. You need a library card to access library on-line resources.