Government to go ahead with Polish-Russian centre

  • Danuta Janina Wójcik
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      The government has adopted a draft bill to create a Polish-Russian Centre of Dialogue and Understanding.

      Prime Minister Donald Tusk expects that during his forthcoming visit to Poland next week, Russian president Dmitri Medvedev will present a decree also creating the Centre in Russia.

      Both institutions will have budgets of about 1 million euros each and will work towards broadening the Polish-Russian dialogue and understanding especially in the sphere of history, national heritage and culture.

      PM Tusk said Tuesday that, “the more intently historians will study the truth about Polish-Russian relations (…), the less room politicians will have to manipulate historical facts.”

      The move represents another stage in the recent thaw in Polish-Russian relations, coming on the back of the State Duma in Russia last week admitting Soviet responsibility for the 1940 Katyn murder. (kk/pg)

      http://www.thenews.pl/international/artykul144539_government-to-go-ahead-with-polish-russian-centre.html

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
        Russia and Poland will also discuss trade, cultural, strategic defense, and border issues:

        http://rt.com/politics/lavrov-russia-poland-cooperation/

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
          According to the minister, the new intergovernmental protocols on gas between the two countries will be signed in Warsaw on Friday. The document should “lay the foundation for further mutually beneficial cooperation on a long-term basis in this important area,” the minister said.

          Moscow and Warsaw have prepared an agreement on cross-border movement. Now it is up to the EU to amend the corresponding standards of the regulations, Sikorski noted. “Both Poland and Russia will be trying to amend the standards, in order to make the softened visa rules become effective as soon as possible, so that citizens can make use of them,” he noted.

          People living in Kaliningrad Region, the Russian western enclave, will be able to make visa-free trips to Poland if the agreement is adopted. The current EU regulations that limit a border region to a 30km area should be amended, according to Lavrov. “It is clear that the EU should make an exception in this case,” he said at a news conference in Warsaw on Thursday. “I hope, wisdom will prevail.”

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
            Russia and Poland Reach Deal on Natural Gas:

            http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/business/global/19gazprom.html

            Poland and Russia have therefore chosen to work around the EU demand. The question is now how far the European Commission wants to take its fight with Russia’s Gazprom and a sizeable EU member state. Warsaw is already irked by EU involvement in the deal. On more than one occasion, Polish officials have pointed out that Germany’s deal with Gazprom over NordStream has not received the same level of scrutiny from the European Union. Essentially, Poland is beginning to see the union not as an ally in its efforts to become energy independent but as a nuisance. Meanwhile, Russia has been accommodating during the negotiations, even choosing to extend natural gas shipments past an Oct. 20 deadline as another sign of the “charm offensive” aimed at Warsaw. Also, Russian oil company Rosneft expressed interest on Oct. 29 of investing in the privatization of Polish energy companies.

            In the short to medium term, Poland has no alternative to Russian natural gas. This puts Warsaw in a vulnerable position, and Poland does not need the European Union making it any more vulnerable. Ironically, Brussels’ efforts to break Gazprom’s monopoly could be turning Poland into an appreciative Russian energy customer

            Russia-Poland energy deal prompts threat of legal action

            http://www.wbj.pl/article-51830-stratfor-russia-poland-energy-deal-prompts-threat-of-legal-action.html?typ=ise