Campaign against ‘Polish concent ration camps’ gains momentum

  • Danuta Janina Wójcik
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2010
      Campaign against ‘Polish concentration camps’ gains momentum

      04.11.2010 09:00
      Lech Walesa and former US national security advisor Zbigniew Brzeziński are two of 8,000 signatures on a petition to top editors in US media protesting against frequent references to Nazi German concentration camps as ’Polish camps’.

      The signatories also include historian Norman Davies and Oscar-winning composer Jan A.P. Kaczmarek.

      A large group of Poles protested earlier this week in front of the headquarters of Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation, which owns The Wall Street Journal, one of several American dailies which referred in recent months to “Polish concentration camps”.

      Leaflets were distributed urging Americans to support the protest.

      The campaign was launched by journalist, historian and President of the Kosciuszko Foundation Alex Storozynski.

      “If we want to convince everybody that these were German concentration camps we cannot sit with our hands down,” says Storozynski .

      His goal is to collect one million signatures under the petition which says: “The undersigned demand that The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and the Associated Press, include entries in their stylebooks requiring news stories to be historically accurate, using the official name of all "German concentration camps in Nazi-occupied Poland," as UNESCO did in 2007 when it named the camp in Auschwitz, "The Auschwitz-Birkenau German Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camp (1940-1945).” (mk/pg)

      http://www.thenews.pl/international/?id=142814