Zelene (Zielona) or Sawarow Near Vilkhovets (Olchowiec)

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010

      On this Austrian map, Sawarow is shown to be located northeast of
      Olchowiec, which is south of Mielnica:

      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/44-49.jpg

      [Mielnica etc. are on the lower left corner of the map.]

      The Lenius _Genealogical Gazetteer of Galicia_ contains no Sawarow
      entry in either the "Primary Community/Estate List" or "Supplementary
      Place Names List".

      The following modern map of Ukraine shows Zelene in the location
      where Sawarow was located on the old Austrian map:

      The Lenius gazetteer does contain in the Supplementary Place Names
      List a village called Zielona, which is Polish version of Ukrainian
      Zelena.

      Anybody have information or thought about this? For example, was
      Sawarow also known as Zielona (Zelene)?

      _________

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
        I received one response:

        ... I can't find any entry for SAWAROW in the Geographic Dictionary of the Kingdom of Poland (Warsaw, 1881). Plus, the entry for nearby OLCHOWIEC makes no mention of SAWAROW as being an adjacent place.

        Please keep in mind that not all of the place names found on the Austrian maps of 1894 and 1914 are bona fide incorporated places. Many are just places. Some of these places may have been inhabited but were actually a part of another bona fide incorporated place. These place names were included simply because the place names existed and/or were used by locals at the time that the cartographers did their work.

        As an example, my grandmother's village of Grabiny contains several places that have there own place names, like Zarzecze, Redziny, Podgorze, Blyszczowka, and Kolonia. Sometimes these places have an entry in the Geographic Dictionary, sometimes they don't. Sometimes these place names appear on maps but often they don't. It matters little in this case because they are all part of the village of Grabiny and Grabiny is not big place. Likewise, because Sawarow appears on the Austrian map in a smaller font size than several other nearby villages, I suspect that it was not a stand-alone political entity.

        I think that the best option for you is to read any and all of the online histories of the village of Olchowice/Olchowiec and see if the area to the northeast of the village is mentioned. Sawarow may merely have been a local noble estate owned by Adam Swyrcz.

        --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence Krupnak" <lkrupnak@...> wrote:

        > /
        >
        > On this Austrian map, Sawarow is shown to be located northeast of
        > Olchowiec, which is south of Mielnica:
        >

        > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/44-49.jpg
        >
        > [Mielnica etc. are on the lower left corner of the map.]
        >

        > The Lenius _Genealogical Gazetteer of Galicia_ contains no Sawarow
        > entry in either the "Primary Community/Estate List" or "Supplementary
        > Place Names List".
        >
        > The following modern map of Ukraine shows Zelene in the location
        > where Sawarow was located on the old Austrian map:

        > The Lenius gazetteer does contain in the Supplementary Place Names
        > List a village called Zielona, which is Polish version of Ukrainian
        > Zelena.
        >
        > Anybody have information or thought about this? For example, was
        > Sawarow also known as Zielona (Zelene)?
        >
        > _________
        >
        > Lavrentiy

      • Roman
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
          One needs to be a bit careful with regard to place name spellings. They
          are not all consistent.

          For example, OLCHOWIEC is listed in the Słownik Geograficzny (Tom 7,
          page 452, Olchowiec, Item 10). However, on the ME200 maps (ME200.44-49)
          it is named OLCHOWICE.

          Nearby is MIELNICA. It is listed in the Słownik Geograficzny (Tom 6,
          page 344, last item in column 2). And here we see that in the South it
          bounds with SUWORÓW ("...na płd. z Olchowcem i Suworowem,..."). And a
          close examination of the ME200 map spells the village SAWARÓW.

          Furthermore, a search of the Słownik fails to find an entry for either
          Suworów or Sawarów. But one needs to be a bit persistent. There is, in
          fact, an entry for this village - SAWURÓW (Tom 10, page 351). The entry
          reads, in full:

          "Sawurów al. Zielona, część Olchowiec i folw. tamże, pow. borszczowski."

          So here we see that it is also named Zielona. (al. = albo).

          And finally, ZIELONA is listed in the Słownik (you can search for it)
          where you will find how it fits into this scenario.

          Cheers,

          Roman

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
            Roman,

            Thank you very much for that research! I know that you spent a lot of time to do that!

            You answered my question about Zielona and Sawarow. The informationh that Zielona and Sawarow are the same place is very important in finding the birth place of a person which has been searched for for many years!

            Lavrentiy

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2010

              I added a footnote into the Lenius Galicia gazetteer database in the groups' Database section about the Sawarow folwark :

              Sawarow was aka Zielona (in Polish) aka Zelene (in Ukrainian).

              Note: all members of this group can add footnotes to the database. If you find useful information which will add to or correct information in the Lenius Galicia gazetteer please do so as it might benefit somebody. Google, I think, will find your footnote. Before adding a footnote post your proposal in the groups' message area so that other people can comment.