Re: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] Re: my grandfather's grave in the USA- Mykola Hnat/ Huat

  • Chrystya
    Message 1 of 50 , Nov 1, 2010
      In the e mail from Roman, there is an excerpt from my e mail yet in yours it is there in full.
      Sorry- it will take me awhile to catch on.
      You have given me several links i can work on.
      thanks
      chrystya

      Message 50 of 50 , Nov 4, 2010
        Chrystya,

        Per your request, Ellis Island changed Wykoty to Vykoty in the passenger index. I would not have done that.

        Wykoty was the official (Austrian) place name spelling. Vykoty is "English spelling".

        For example, if a researcher wants to search the Ellis Island databse to find all people who emigrated from Wykoty they will not find Mykola Hnat, for now Mykola Hnat is indexed as being from Vykoty. Very few people will search for Vykoty. Right now only one person is found as being from Vykoty, but thee are many from Wykoty, including many Hnats and "Huats".

        Changing "Huat" to Hnat was appropriate and required since the name on the manifest is clearly written as Hnat, for people who can read the old cursive handwriting.