Re: Name of Domicela Barna's Mother

    Message 1 of 297 , Oct 11, 2010
      Hello Roman,

      I have encountered exceptions to the typical practice that surnames are spelled according to Polish orthography. So I wasn't certain how to interpret Jacenicha, that is, how to pronounce it, how would the name be spelled in Poland today, etc. For example, take the name Boksa (in Polish), I have seen it written as Boxa in the parish registers. But, Boxa is an easy spelling to know that it is Latin spelling since Polish has no x in it's alphabet.

      In the surname, Jacenicha, as it was recorded by the priest, I wasn't sure how the 'c' and the diagraph 'ch' are pronounced. Maybe the priest wrote the surname not according to Polish orthography. I asked myself, why did he use 'ch' rather than k. Was the name Jacenich or Jasenich or...other variants...my brain was spinning!

      Well, at least I know how the name probably would now appear in Poland...Jacenik. I didn't find Jacenicha in Fred Hoffman's surname book. Jacenik is not in his book either, but do recall that Fred mentioned that he doesn't have all surnames present in his book.

      Message 297 of 297 , Dec 21, 2017
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the GaliciaPoland-Ukraine
        group.

        File : /Parish Stamp.jpg
        Uploaded by : gosford27 <wegierka150@...>
        Description :