Ukrainian/ Russian Army records

  • Lolly Kozak
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2010
      One of my relatives Kyrylo Samborsky 1899 1972 was supposedly in the Ukrainian and Russian Armies rising to the rank of General before his death in Kyiv.

      Can anyone tell me where I could find records that could confirm this information?

      In addition, does anyone have access to a phone book for Kyiv who could look up the name Samborsky? I know Kyrylo had children and would like to contact them.

      Lolly

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 31, 2010
        Lolly,

        His military career began after ca. 1920. I'm not sure wthat you mean by "Ukrainian and Russian Armies". He would have been in the military of the Soviet Union. The following two archives will have Soviet Union era military records:

        http://www.iisg.nl/abb/rep/C-4.tab1.php

        http://www.iisg.nl/abb/rep/B-8.tab1.php

        --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Lolly Kozak <lolky95@...> wrote:

        > One of my relatives Kyrylo Samborsky 1899 1972 was supposedly in the Ukrainian and Russian Armies rising to the rank of General before his death in Kyiv.
        >
        > Can anyone tell me where I could find records that could confirm this information?
        >
        > In addition, does anyone have access to a phone book for Kyiv who could look up the name Samborsky? I know Kyrylo had children and would like to contact them.
        >
        > Lolly
      • Danuta Janina Wójcik
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 31, 2010
          Samborski - holds the:

          Ostoja - a Polish coat of arms that originally was used by the family of Ostoja from Kujavia and Greater Poland.[1] As the family expanded their territory to Pomerania, Prussia, Lesser Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania they also adopted several noble families from Lithuania, Belarus and Ukraine including three Prince families, finally turning into a Clan of Ostoja. As different lines of the Clan formed surnames after their properties and adding the adoptions, Ostoja become a Coat of arms used by several families not necessarily blood related with each other

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostoja_coat_of_arms

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
            Kiev telephone directory:

            http://www.kievinfo.com/09/serchphonsobl.shtml

            > Lolly,
            >
            > His military career began after ca. 1920. I'm not sure wthat you mean by "Ukrainian and Russian Armies". He would have been in the military of the Soviet Union. The following two archives will have Soviet Union era military records:
            >

            > http://www.iisg.nl/abb/rep/C-4.tab1.php
            >
            > http://www.iisg.nl/abb/rep/B-8.tab1.php
            >
            > ________
            >
            > Lavrentiy
            >

            > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Lolly Kozak <lolky95@> wrote:

            > > One of my relatives Kyrylo Samborsky 1899 1972 was supposedly in the Ukrainian and Russian Armies rising to the rank of General before his death in Kyiv.
            > >
            > > Can anyone tell me where I could find records that could confirm this information?
            > >
            > > In addition, does anyone have access to a phone book for Kyiv who could look up the name Samborsky? I know Kyrylo had children and would like to contact them.
            > >
            > > Lolly

          • Lolly Kozak
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
              Thank-you to all who sent me information. I have now been able to confirm that he was indeed a General in the Soviet Army.

              Another thing I was told about : that Kyrylo/ Cyril Samborsky was a Court Secretary in Poland. I don't know what that means; where could I find out some details.
              If he was a Court Secretary for Poland it must have been between 1919 and 1939 because the village he came from changed from Soviet rule to Polish.

              From the information on http://www.istor-44gsd.narod.ru/Html/person_44.html thanks to this group, I wonder when he would have had time to be a Court Secretary.
              Any thoughts or ideas?
              BTW, what does the date after Major General mean? Major-General (02/07/1943 d). I know that he died in 1972 so it wasn't his date of death.
              Lolly
              Samborski Cyril Nikitovich

              Artillery Commander 44 th Mountain Division, Colonel.

              1899 born In the Red Army from 1919, a member of the CPSU (b). Participated in the Civil War of 1919-1920, the Soviet-Finnish war of 1939-1940,

              As part of the 44 th Mountain Division participated in the first
              days of the Great Patriotic War in the fighting, first against the
              Hungarian army in the Carpathians, and then in the Ukraine against the
              Nazi invaders in the South-Western, and then the Southern Front.

              In August 1941, in the division was surrounded near the town of Uman. After the death of divisions in an area. Archangel Kirovograd region out of encirclement in the same group with the division commander, General Tkachenko. From the environment left.

              From November 1941 to 08.04.1942, the Chief of Staff of Artillery 21 th Army. In
              July 1942, under orders of the Military Council on 21 th Army, flew on
              the U-2 plane to the territory occupied by the Germans, and within 12
              days of fighting that led out and brought out through the surrounding
              150-km zone and units: 63 cg ( then 53 rs. Sd), 1 Motor Rifle Brigade,
              26 th artillery regiment and 135 rank GDH (a total of 15 thousand people
              from all over the nominal technique).

              Fulfilling the duties of Deputy Commander of the 64 th Army
              during the battle of Stalingrad was seriously wounded in both legs and
              concussion.

              In late 1942, was appointed commander of the 21 th breakthrough artillery divisions RGC.

              Major-General (02/07/1943 d). He was awarded the Red Banner (1940), the Order of Lenin (1943).

              To: GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
              From: Lkrupnak@...
              Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:07:07 +0000
              Subject: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] Re: Ukrainian/ Russian Army records

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
                Order of the Day, September 19, 1943

                Issued by Marshal Stalin and addressed to Army General Yeremenko and Army General Sokolovsky

                Our troops on the Kalinin front, as a result of four days' fierce fighting, broke through strongly fortified enemy defence lines, shattered his strongpoints Ribshevo, Verdino, Lomono-sovo, Kulagino and Pankratovo, which he had held over a long period of time, and took by storm the vital strongpoint of the German defences on the way to Smolensk, the town of Dukhovshchina.

                Our troops of the Western front, after stubborn battles, broke the enemy's resistance and captured the important strongpoint of the German defences at the approaches to Smolensk, the town and railway station of Yartsevo. Thus the strongly fortified German defence line which has been in existence over a long period of time and which closed the so-called Smolensk gates, has been broken.

                In fighting for the liberation of the towns of Dukhovshchina and Yartsevo the troops commanded by Lieutenant-General Berzarin, Lieutenant-General Gluzdovsky and Lieutenant-General Golubev, tankmen under Colonel Dromov and airmen under Lieutenant-General of Aviation Gromov and Major-General of Aviation Popivin, distinguished themselves. The following divisions, brigades and battalions, to mark the victories achieved, will henceforth bear the names of the towns they liberated:

                The 91st Guards Infantry Division (Major-General Ozimin), the 17th Guards Infantry Division (Major-General Kvashnin), the 184th-Infantry Division (Colonel Tsukharev), the 46th Mechanized Brigade (Colonel Manzhurin), the 47th Mechanized Brigade (Lieutenant-Colonel Mikhailov), the 21st Artillery Division (Major-General of Artillery Samborsky), the 4th Antitank Artillery Brigade (Colonel Savlevich), the 4th Assault Engineer Sappers Brigade (Lieutenant-Colonel Matuzas), the 306th Infantry Division (Colonel Kucheryavenko), the 134th Infantry Division (Major-General Dobrovolsky), the 234th Infantry Division (Colonel Turyev), the 178th Infantry Division (Major-General Kudryavtsev), the 185th Infantry Division (Major-General Andreushchenko), the 82nd Red Banner Infantry Division (Major-General Pissarev), the 274th Infantry Division (Colonel Shulga), the 359th Infantry Division (Colonel Kosol-apov), the 233rd Assault Air Division (Lieutenant-Colonel Solovik), the 123rd Assault Air Division (Lieutenant-Colonel Solovik), the 123rd Guards Bomber Aircraft Regiment (Major Dymchenko), the 2nd Guards Motor Cycle Regiment (Lieutenant-Colonel Polubochko), the 529th Tank Artillery Regiment (Lieutenant-Col-onel Vyburov), the 72nd Engineering Battalion (Major Mosenzon), the 90th Independent Pontoon and Bridge-Building Battalion (Major Semonov).

                http://www.revolutionarydemocracy.org/Stalin/od0724to092543.htm

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
                  Lolly Kozak wrote:

                  > Major-General (02/07/1943 d). He was awarded the Red Banner (1940), the Order of Lenin (1943).

                  **********

                  Lolly,

                  The original text in Russian is:

                  Ãåíåðàë-ìàéîð (7.02.1943 ã.). Íàãðàæäåí îðäåíîì Áîåâîãî Êðàñíîãî Çíàìåíè (1940 ã.), îðäåíîì Ëåíèíà (1943 ã.).

                  The ã. is abbreviation for year. The translation should be simply 02/07/1943 because English readers know that a date is being expressed. Kiril was promoted to a Major-General on that date.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
                    Date Format:

                    In Europe, dates are expressed in short form as:

                    day.month.year

                    In the US, dates are expressed in short form as:

                    month/day/year

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date

                    Oh, what problems that can sometimes cause.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 6, 2010
                      Thank you for that link.
                      I have a question about the meaning of one of the headings; between 'Name' and 'Street' is a column headed 'IO' in English translation and in Ukrainian it's 'IB'. Does it stand for the 1st initial and the patronymic?
                      Also, what does 'Index' mean?
                      Lolly

                      To: GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
                      From: Lkrupnak@...
                      Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:07:07 +0000

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 7, 2010
                        Lolly,

                        Here's meaning of the common abbreviations used in such forms:

                        http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%A4.%D0%98.%D0%9E.

                        http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1670653

                        http://dictionary.reverso.net/russian-english/%D0%9E

                        _________