Re: [GaliciaPoland-Ukraine] Re: Film 1922800 Berezowica Mala

  • Helen Ginn
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2010
      Thanks Lavrentiy:

      I have all the details from items 1 to 10, and this is a full roll of film with all ten items, but nothing on it to distinguish sections for either Mala or Wielka and nothing written on the entries to say whether it is Mala or Wielka so I am assuming it is Bishop's copies which aren't always the easiest to read.

      >     "Item" refers to a part/section/portion of
      > the microfilm.  Microfilm number 1922800 has 10
      > parts/sections/portions.
      >
      > ________
      >
      > Lavrentiy
      >

      > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com,
      > Helen Ginn <ginn_helen@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Listers:
      > >
      > > After looking at the above-mentioned film I am of the
      > opinion that what we have here is Bishop's copies since all
      > there seems to be is a mixture of a few births, some
      > marriages, and some death records. The place name on the
      > birth documents that we have shows the birth place as
      > Berezowica "Mala" but on the film both Wielka and Mala seem
      > to be combined so can I assume that these two places are
      > side by side and one should look at both Mala and Wielka?
      > Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.
      > >
      > > Helen Ginn
    • Roman
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 30, 2010
        Helen,

        You only need to take a look at a map of the Tarnopol region to see that
        Berezowica Mała is located about 22km north while Berozowica Wielka is
        8km south of Tarnopol.

        According to the Słownik Geograficzny the GC parish for Berezowica Mała
        was located in Iwanczany, a couple km east. The GC parish for Berezowica
        Wielka is located in the village.

        Look at the film 1922800. Five parish books are listed as Item 2, to
        include Berezowica Wielka. Its description reads:

        > Volume 201-4A/214 Births, marriages, deaths 1835 -- Deaths 1836 --
        Births, marriages, deaths 1837-1839 (filmed with Berezowica Mala,
        Iwanczany, Kobyła, and Kurniki Iwanczańskie)

        On reading this, all we can say is that the LDS simply filmed five books
        together. There is no reason to suggest that the villages are near each
        other (one in Tarnopol, the others in the Zbaraż region), based on that
        description.

        Cheers,

        Roman

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2010
          Helen,

          If LDS microfilmed the "Bishop's Copy", the scribe would indicate the parish location at the top of each page.

          I have observed that original parish registry books seldom contain the parish location at the top of each page. The original books contain the parish name and location at the front of the book and on major sections of the book.

          Another way to determine if it's the "Bishop's Copy" is examine the handwriting, format and style of each page. If the handwriting, format and style is perfectly uniform over several years of entries that is often positive evidence that the book is the "Bishop's Copy". The parish priest was often uniform in style and format over several years of entries. For example, if a noble person was involved in an act the priest would often use ornate style when entering the act's registration. The scribe for the "Bishop's Copy" had no time and/or interest in duplicating the ornate style (he just wanted to get the job done!).
          _________

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2010

            > Helen,
            >
            > If LDS microfilmed the "Bishop's Copy", the scribe would indicate the parish location at the top of each page.
            >
            > I have observed that original parish registry books seldom contain the parish location at the top of each page. The original books contain the parish name and location at the front of the book and on major sections of the book.
            >
            > Another way to determine if it's the "Bishop's Copy" is examine the handwriting, format and style of each page. If the handwriting, format and style is perfectly uniform over several years of entries that is often positive evidence that the book is the "Bishop's Copy". The parish priest was often

            not

            uniform in style and format over several years of entries. For example, if a noble person was involved in an act the priest would often use ornate style when entering the act's registration. The scribe for the "Bishop's Copy" had no time and/or interest in duplicating the ornate style (he just wanted to get the job done!).
            > _________
            >
            > Lavrentiy
            >

            > In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Helen Ginn <ginn_helen@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Thanks Lavrentiy:
            > >
            > > I have all the details from items 1 to 10, and this is a full roll of film with all ten items, but nothing on it to distinguish sections for either Mala or Wielka and nothing written on the entries to say whether it is Mala or Wielka so I am assuming it is Bishop's copies which aren't always the easiest to read.
            > >

            > > >     "Item" refers to a part/section/portion of
            > > > the microfilm.  Microfilm number 1922800 has 10
            > > > parts/sections/portions.
            > > >
            > > > ________
            > > >
            > > > Lavrentiy
            > > >

            > > > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com,

            > > > opinion that what we have here is Bishop's copies since all
            > > > there seems to be is a mixture of a few births, some
            > > > marriages, and some death records. The place name on the
            > > > birth documents that we have shows the birth place as
            > > > Berezowica "Mala" but on the film both Wielka and Mala seem
            > > > to be combined so can I assume that these two places are
            > > > side by side and one should look at both Mala and Wielka?
            > > > Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

          • Helen Ginn
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 1, 2010
              Roman and Lavrentiy:

              Many thanks for your comments. It seems that Film 1922800 has given my friend her great great grandparents and she now has several other names in the family to work with. I couldn't help thinking that if Bishop's copies had been filmed, there should be other films available.

              Persistence pays off and after Googling and finding notes from the Toronto Ukrainian genealogy web site with information that [title board incorrectly lists place as Berezowica Wielka] which is exactly as shown on a birth document, it gives Velyka Berezovytsya as a place name.

              Apparently there are three more films 2161502 R.C. and 765868 and 2152031 G.C. that might have been microfilmed from original books. I'm sure 1922800 must be Bishop's copies with just bits and pieces of everything and unfortunately my Latin is very limited so I am not sure about the scribbles at the top of the pages but copia makes sense to me and the writing is not consistent. Much to look forward to with this search and I have one very happy camper who has hit pay dirt as they say and was moved to tears when she found what she had been hoping for.

              Thank you very much once again for your help and comments.

              Helen Ginn

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 1, 2010

                Berezowica Wielka is the Polish place name for Berezovytsia Velyka.

                Regarding availability of Bishop's Copy and orginal parish copy, one can't assume the because one copy exists that the otrher copy exists. Either one or both could have been destroyed, lost, or stolen over the years.

                _________

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2010
                  Roman:

                  Well, after looking up Iwanczany in the library catalogue I see that there are three films listed which should give us exactly what we are looking for with Berezowica Mala, and thank you very much once again for the explanation regarding the distances between Mala and Wielka. I guess I was thinking it would be much like Howilow Wlk and Howilow Ml in the Chorostkow area which is where I am researching. Anyway I think we now have the Greek Catholic records that we need and plenty of work ahead of us with 50 years of births and over 100 years of marriages.

                  Kind regards,

                • Kaytee
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 2, 2010
                    Hi Helen,
                    What name is your friend looking for in the records on film 1922800?

                    Would you care to ask her if she can keep a lookout for the names of Roszkowski and Sadowski?

                    Thanks

                    Kaytee

                    > --- In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, "Laurence" <Lkrupnak@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Helen,
                    > >
                    > > If LDS microfilmed the "Bishop's Copy", the scribe would indicate the parish location at the top of each page.
                    > >
                    > > I have observed that original parish registry books seldom contain the parish location at the top of each page. The original books contain the parish name and location at the front of the book and on major sections of the book.
                    > >
                    > > Another way to determine if it's the "Bishop's Copy" is examine the handwriting, format and style of each page. If the handwriting, format and style is perfectly uniform over several years of entries that is often positive evidence that the book is the "Bishop's Copy". The parish priest was often
                    >

                    > not
                    >

                    > uniform in style and format over several years of entries. For example, if a noble person was involved in an act the priest would often use ornate style when entering the act's registration. The scribe for the "Bishop's Copy" had no time and/or interest in duplicating the ornate style (he just wanted to get the job done!).
                    > > _________
                    > >
                    > > Lavrentiy
                    > >

                    > > In GaliciaPoland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com, Helen Ginn <ginn_helen@> wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > Thanks Lavrentiy:
                    > > >
                    > > > I have all the details from items 1 to 10, and this is a full roll of film with all ten items, but nothing on it to distinguish sections for either Mala or Wielka and nothing written on the entries to say whether it is Mala or Wielka so I am assuming it is Bishop's copies which aren't always the easiest to read.

                  • Helen Ginn
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 21, 2010
                      Listers:

                      Is anyone out there familiar with xn viewer for capturing images from microfilm readers? Our local FHL has recently changed software and I believe this programme is freeware if I was looking at the same software on Google. We are struggling with trying to figue out how to capture and save more than one scanned pdf document to a screen so that we can carry on through a film and send a number of pages to the screen and then send them all in one step to a folder. Can someone direct me to a simple list of steps to follow? Any comments welcome.

                      Kind regards,
                      Helen Ginn
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 21, 2010
                        http://www.associatedcontent.com/video/13628/how_to_perform_screen_capture_using.html?cat=4