Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Church records

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004
      Hello Rich,

      I don't know where the bishop's copy that you're seek is located or
      if a bishop's copy exists.

      Bishop's copy is an interesting issue that I don't know much about.
      I don't know for example how often they were prepared. They obviously
      were maintained in a different location from the original parish copy.

      If I recall correctly, the Greek Catholic parish that you're
      researching was/is located in Western Ukraine. After WWII, the parish
      register would have been given to the local civil authorities (ZAGS
      at that time), and the bishop's copy would have also been given to a
      different civil authority. Any extant original and copy registers would
      eventually make their way to the Central State Historical Archives in
      L'viv (TsDIA/L). I suppose the original parish registers would be
      deposited into one record group and any extant bishop's copies be
      deposited into another record group.

      Jim Onyshchuk recently posted that Matthew Bielawa and Brian Lenius
      are preparing an inventory of the Greek Catholic parish registers that
      are available in Ukraine. Perhaps Matthew can let us know what they have
      found, e.g., the Fonds that contain Greek Catholic parish registers, did
      Matthew and Brian visit RAHS to identify what they have, etc.

      The LDS has microfilmed TsDIA/L's Fond 201, Series 4A.

      Rich N wrote:

      > Lavrentiy,
      >
      > I'm looking for the bishop's copy because the current church copy in FHC
      > only are for 1830-1865. I'm trying to find the later records.
      >
      > Rich Nedinsky

    • jack
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2015
        Hello, I believe these are marriage records, from the Greek Catholic church in Debno, Poland.  Would anyone be able to translate entry #4 on the left page of the 1st link, and entry #2 on the left page of the 2nd link?

        Thanks,
        John

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 9, 2015
          Is it Debno of Lancut district or Brzesko district?

          The language is Polish.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2015
            It should be the Lancut district.  If the links don't open when you click on them, they should if you cut and paste them into the address field.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2015
              Hi Jack,

                 Your links worked.

                 You might find a translator faster if you posted that you are willing to pay for service.

              ____

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2015
                Hello Jack,

                   Fred Hoffman's Polish translation guidebook covers that style of registration.  A few months ago Fred offerred his books to this group at a big discount.

                _________

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2015
                  Unfortunately, I only purchased the Latin translation guide.