Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] The Black Book of Poland

  • Mary-Ann
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      If any of you have a problem opening the URL I had given, go to: http://www.polishroots.org , click on "Databases", then "Black Book of Poland". That will take you there.
      Mary-Ann
      Rockledge, FL
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Mary-Ann
      To: Galicia_Poland-Ukraine@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 5:30 PM
      Subject: Re: [Galicia_Poland-Ukraine] Etymological Dictionary of Ukrainian Surnames

      Bohdana,
      Thank you so much for all your efforts.

      I found a site online (http://www.polishroots.org/databases/black_book.htm) that is an index of surnames appearing in The Black Book of Poland. To quote the site:

      "The Black Book of Poland" index contains a list of names, mostly Polish some German, valuable to genealogical researchers interested in what may have happened to their kin in Poland during the time of October 6, 1939 and the end of June 1941. This book documents what the Germans did to the people of Poland during that time period. Some people were jailed, others deported and yet others killed. The index shows these people's names, what happened and the page number within the book that describes the event. The index shown here has been scanned and digitally converted to the English alphabet and therefore losses the pronunciation nuances of the Polish language. The book was authored by The Polish Ministry of Information and published in 1942."

      While reading the index I came across my family name (paternal side) who were from the Sanok/Dudynce area. It listed "Maciejowski-murdered, 60". That set me on a quest to find a copy of this book. I'm happy to say I found a copy online at a bookstore in Washington, DC and am having it shipped. I am quite anxious to find out "the rest of the story" on page 60 when it arrives. Perhaps once I receive the book I can be of some help to others with families listed in the index.
      Sincerely,
      Mary-Ann
      Rockledge, Florida

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004