searching for Soponiak Anastazya

  • matabello@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
      I'm searching for my husband's grandmother (Anastazya Soponiak) that's the
      spelling we found on his mother's birth cetificate. She (Anastazya) came from
      Galicia in the 1900's. She settled in Rhode Island where she married Nestor
      Babig who I found in the Ellis Island web side. Now I'm trying to locate her but
      have no success. I don't know if the last time was mispelled once she arrive at
      Ellis Island.

      I know she came from Galicia and her father's name was John Soponiak
      according to documents we found and her mother's name was Eryma Holub who stayed in
      Galicia. She came around the 1900's and then a sister of her called Ana came a
      few years later. Anastazya married Nestor and had two kids, Stefania later
      named Stella because it sounds more american, Stella is my mother in law and they
      had a boy called John who died in the second world war.

      If someone could help me locate Anastazya I'll greatly appreciate.

      Thank you,

      Cecilia

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2004
        Hello Cecilia,

        Any Soponiaks in the EI?

        Popular diminutives of Anastasia are Nastia and Nastka/Naska,
        Nastunia, Stasia, etc., so don't overlook those "first" names.

      • matabello@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2004
          Laventiy,

          Thank you for the tip. I haven't found soponiaks in EI records but I will
          look any other alternatives.

          Thanks again,
          Cecilia